What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken iPad 1 or newer iPad 2?

hubbabubba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and really love this forum!

I'm planning to get my first iPad but need some advice. I plan to get the iPad 3 when they roll out, but would like to have one until then. So I'd prefer not to spend too much now, and save for the new one.

What do you think would be best to get, a jailbroken iPad 1 or an iPad 2 that probably won't be able to be jailbroken right now?

I can get a 32gb 3g iPad 1 for much cheaper than a 16gb wifi iPad 2.

What do you think?

Thanks!

P.S. I'd like to be able to do presentations with the iPad. I know that the 2 allows for mirroring. With a jailbroken iPad 1, I should be able to do the same, correct? That'll be an important factor.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd go for an iPad1 - they're great value and are holding their value really well. The iPad3 won't be available until next year - ignore the rumours - so you'll have your iPad for a minimum of 6 months - more likely 9 months - before supply catches up with demand.

Yes - there is an issue with display mirroring but, if you have a JB iPad1, you should be good to go.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If we operate under the assumption that whatever you decide is going to be based entirely on what you want to use the iPad for...

...I'd go with the iPad1. It's got more memory and 3G. And yes, the jailbroken iPad1 can be set up to mirror to an HDMI TV/monitor. This can be done with tweaks from Cydia such as DisplayOut or by slightly altering one of the .plist files (the name of which escapes me at the moment). Oh, and you'll need cables...

Of course, as a jailbroken iPad1 owner, I could be [slightly] prejudiced... :D

But - if you didn't get the iPad2, you'd be giving up the cameras, the increased RAM and the faster speed. And, with iOS5, the iPad2 is supposedly going to be able to wirelessly mirror ALL the screen contents (by shooting it to the Apple TV). So, there's that.

It all comes down to - what you want. Good luck in your decision.

Marilyn

OP
H

hubbabubba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you so much!

I don't really need the cameras at all, but will i noticed the slower speed and lack of RAM?

The presentations that I need to make would be to projectors and smart boards, and so you're saying with iOS5, unless I have an Apple TV, I won't be able to utilize this feature?

How do I get "DisplayOut", and with that and the cables to plug into a projector, I should be good to go?

Finally, would you say jailbreakme is the best way to do this?

Thank you for your help!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you so much!

I don't really need the cameras at all, but will i noticed the slower speed and lack of RAM?

Oooohweee, that's a loaded question. You could, but I don't. Yeah, when I perform IT functions on my mom's iPad2, I do notice it's faster. But, I'm still perfectly fine with the way my iPad1 runs. Guess I don't miss what I really don't know...

The presentations that I need to make would be to projectors and smart boards, and so you're saying with iOS5, unless I have an Apple TV, I won't be able to utilize this feature?

Sorry for the confusion. With the HDMI cable and the right type of projector/smart board, you should be able to hook up fine. For the iOS 5 and Apple TV remark, I meant that you could do this wirelessly via Apple TV to a TV. But, cables will still work fine with other devices.

By the way, what I use to connect to my HDMI TV is what Apple calls its "Apple Digital AV Adapter." Here's the link to that: Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) This is what people use to connect both the iPad1 and iPad2.

[Public service announcement] However, if you go the jailbroke iPad route, you'll have to give up thoughts of iOS 5 for a while ... or until a jailbreak is released. You won't want to arbitrarily upgrade to iOS 5 if you're on a jailbroke iPad, 'cause you'll lose the jailbreak. [/Announcement]

How do I get "DisplayOut", and with that and the cables to plug into a projector, I should be good to go?

First, I have to clear up something. The iPad2 will do display out using the Apple Digital AV Adapter (or the other cables). It's just that it won't do a full homescreen and all apps display like you can get with the jailbreak tweaks - it'll only show the apps that have been coded to do display out, such as video apps. Just wanted to clear that up...

There are three ways to mirror the iPad1 to an HDMI capable device: (1) DisplayOut, (2) TVOut2 or (3) a modification of the iPad's K48AP.plist.

DisplayOut and TVOut2 are tweaks that you can find in Cydia (the jail broke apps "store"). All you'll have to do is install them from Cydia (I can't remember if they are paid apps or not) and then you're good to go.

I personally think modifying the K48AP.plist is better 'cause it makes the connection "just work" versus having to go through a tweak/app, but it does take some knowledge of how to work within the iPad's innards (i.e. you got to use iFile..). This thread (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/32958-tvout-j-b.html) explains the process in modifying the K48AP.plist.

Finally, would you say jailbreakme is the best way to do this?

Jailbreakme is to actually jailbreak an iPad. You won't/wouldn't use it for anything else. And, since you said the iPad1 you're considering is already jailbroke...

There. Now you have way more information than you ever thought you need. A word of caution - I have never tried to hook up an iPad to a projector or a smart board, only an HDMI TV. I've seen YouTube videos of it being done ... but I've never. Just so you know that...

Good luck, still, on your decision.

Marilyn

OP
H

hubbabubba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your wonderful posts!

I did get the iPad 1. It's wonderful!
The iPad 1 has not been jailbroken yet, but has 4.3.3 so I'm hoping I can get things going with the nice tutorials on this site.

Is there a way of making sure that I save the 4.3.3 so that I can return to it at a later date?

I tried Tiny Umbrella, but the only blobs that I see are:
iPad 4.3.5 (8L1)
iPad 5.0b1 (9A5220p)
iPad 5.0b2 (9A5248d)
iPad 5.0b3 (9A5259f)

Please let me know how to proceed.
Thank you again!

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read the section and tutorials! It's too late to get the blobs for 4.3.3, but worst case scenario there are more options with iPad 1. And right now it's as easy as going to jailbreakme.com in Safari. You are in for a treat.

I have a newer iPad 2 but I'm in the same boat I don't have blobs for 4.3.3. It's still well worth jailbreaking immediately! Just stick with tweaks and programs other people have used safely. I have a jailbroken iPad 1 too and it's rock solid, I can throw anything on Cydia at it.

Last edited:
OP
H

hubbabubba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!

Are there any advantages of using the other methods of jailbreaking or is jailbreakme.com the best way?

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At 4.3.3 it is the best and least difficult way. Since the creator was hired yesterday by Apple I wouldnt bet on it being there forever unless someone else owns the site.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just want to chime in with what guthrien said: Go ahead and use JailbreakMe. Not only is it the "newest and bestest" - it also is one of the cleanest.

I know because I just used one of the other jailbreaks the other day and it put a bunch of ... well ... crap on the iPad during the jailbreak. I took it off, used JailbreakMe and it's a much cleaner install.

So, stay on 4.3.3, even though you don't have SHSH blobs for it. As long as you don't do anything crazy and stick with the "tried and true" tweaks, you should be fine.

And, as guthrien also alluded to, with an iPad1, should you muck up somehow and need to restore, you'll still be able to restore to iOS 4.3.5 and then re-jailbreak it (tethered yes, but better than nothing!).

All this to say: Congrats on what I think is an awesome purchase/decision. Good luck with your project of using it. But be careful - owning an iPad can really get a hold of you and become a time sink! Don't say I didn't warn ya! :D

Marilyn

OP
H

hubbabubba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful support here! it makes my purchase an owning of an ipad even more worthwhile!!

I just did the jailbreak using jailbreakme. Everything seems to be fine. In some of the guides, I read about backing up or changing passwords afterwards. What should I be doing next?

Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you install OpenSSH (from Cydia), I wouldn't worry about changing your default passwords at the moment. OpenSSH allows you to get into your iPad's innards wirelessly. Since OpenSSH's default is "ON," changing the password prevents nefarious people from being able to access your iPad. Of course, you may still change the passwords if you wish (you'd want to change two - root and mobile). See this thread for help in that: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/40969-terminal.html

A lot of people like to backup their Cydia tweaks to make it easier to restore later, should it ever become necessary. While iTunes catches some changes to the firmware, it does not, as a general rule, do anything with jail breaking apps. Its backup is all about the App Store stuff.

One good app is PKGBackup, from Cydia for about $8 (USD). Yeah, it's expensive, but it'll put all your tweaks back on the iPad and it saves your settings. It can save the backup file in your Contacts or to Dropbox - so it's very handy. I've used it and, combined with iTunes, my iPad restores to just how I had it before a restore. For the convenience, it's priceless to me.

And, for fun, take a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html. It'll get you started on all the other neat stuff you can do with a jail broke iPad. Have fun!

Marilyn

eklipse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, i'm also a newbie to the jailbreaking scene but from what I read from this thread it seems that even though you're on 4.3.5 you can still use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak your ipad 1? Is this statement true? Can anyone confirm this. I read through almost every jailbreak thread but I never seen using jailbreakme.com by comex on a 4.3.5? Also, what will happen if I do use jailbreakme.com on 4.3.5 firmware? thanks again...

Most reactions

Latest posts