What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 Preinstalled?

stlphotogal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing an iPad but husband urged me to wait until IOS 6 is preinstalled by factory; I guess my question is two fold:
1) Is there a benefit to waiting for the preinstallation of the OS?
2) Will Apple be preinstalling IOS 6 on existing hardware or only on iPhone 5 and new iPods?

Thanks so much, in advance, for all of your time and wisdom!

Angela

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
1) No advantage, AFAICS

2) They will eventually but it make take a while to filter into the supply chain.

If you want one, just buy it now, and update it before you do anything else.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stlphotogal said:
Getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing an iPad but husband urged me to wait until IOS 6 is preinstalled by factory; I guess my question is two fold:
1) Is there a benefit to waiting for the preinstallation of the OS?
2) Will Apple be preinstalling IOS 6 on existing hardware or only on iPhone 5 and new iPods?

Thanks so much, in advance, for all of your time and wisdom!

Angela

If the iPad isn't used yet, there really is no benefit or harm of which ios is preinstalled. In fact, most iPads in the store are probably still gonna be ios5.1 I guess from now on they will be installing ios6 as default, but I have no idea when those will actually be on store shelves.

But buying the iPad with ios5 and updating to ios6 does no harm whatsoever. Actually I think if you ask, the apple store will help you set it up and install the update right there.

2) I can't say for sure, definitely on the new hardware, maybe on the newer iPad and iPhone 4S. But again I'm not positive as to what exactly they update to ios6 (whether its all supported devices or just those which mostly benefit from upgrading). But like I said earlier, usually what's in stock at the moment will be boxed with ios5. The products they are still making will probably be factory installed with ios6 from this point on, but no clue if/when they will be on the shelves.

Most reactions

Latest posts