What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanna listen to youtube while surfing

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Thanks, Kevin. I'm staying on iOS 5.1.1 on iPad and iPhone, so I should still be able to listen on YouTube and surf at the same time. I just don't know how without having to launch a new YouTube video every time one ends. (I've not currently using YouTube for music, but there might be something good I'm missing, because so many people ask about it. So I want to learn.)

I've updated only my touch 4 to iOS 6, because I prefer iOS 5.1.1 for Google maps on iPad and iPhone.

Yes. I'm still on 5.1.1 for now. I downloaded the new YouTube app to check it out more than anything. Background play still works on the embedded app, of course, but I haven't found any way to play a playlist.

I noticed a while ago that YouTube now allows videos of seemingly unlimited length to be uploaded, so over time we might see whole concert videos being uploaded, in spite of YouTube's own rules against this. I watched a 2 hour long movie on there a few weeks ago (thanks Admiral).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I'm still on 5.1.1 for now. I downloaded the new YouTube app to check it out more than anything. Background play still works on the embedded app, of course, but I haven't found any way to play a playlist.

I noticed a while ago that YouTube now allows videos of seemingly unlimited length to be uploaded, so over time we might see whole concert videos being uploaded, in spite of YouTube's own rules against this. I watched a 2 hour long movie on there a few weeks ago (thanks Admiral).

That's what I was wondering: Are people listening to long videos, or having to launch new videos over and over, or is there an alternative that I'm missing? I wonder what the draw is for listening to YouTube music over other methods. There must be something good, because why are people wanting to do it, I wonder. And if there's something good, I want to check it out.

TechNooby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's another way, I like this way it's easy and works with any app not just safari.

1. Open youtube to the song you want
2. Hit play and wait to make sure it's playing.
3. Hit home, this will end the song but it's okay!
4. Hit the screen lock button or whatever it's called.
5. Double tap the home button, this opens a shortcut to play the song.
6. Hit play
7. Unlock screen

Now you should be at your home screen with the song playing in the background.
Have fun.

Thx bus, thx kay love u guys! Actually the first time it works for me, with any problem!
Been on a 3h google quest on can go back to chill now:)
U guys made my day! Love this forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts