What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanna listen to youtube while surfing

nralgnam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it possible? i have done it using an app called splitbrowser but i want it to be in the background completely so I have the normal safari view whn im surfing

Chrisipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can load the video on youtube then once you have exited youtube and gone onto another app if you double tap the home button so that the multitask thing comes up then slide it to the right and press the play button it will work but i think you have to go straight from youtube to the app you want to use otherwise it uses the music you have saved on your ipad instead of the sound from the youtube video. Hope this helps if your not too sure what i mean let me know and ill try to explain better.

OP
N

nralgnam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, and THANKS Chrisipad!! Been driving me crazy that I had to use split screen to be able to listen to music while surfing. And now that problem is GONE :d
Was real easy too

1. Open Safari.
2. Open Youtube app and start a song/video.
3. Switch to Safari by dragging 4 fingers across the screen.
4. Double tap home button (or use multitasking gesture) slide it to the left and press PLAY.
5. START UR SURFIN!

Exactly like u said, just wanted to clarify a little bit for others out there, dont take it the wrong way, no disrespect :)

Last edited:

Jack.Morrison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is amazing! It was such a basic "need" that was missing prior to the 5.0.1 update. Surfing and listening to YouTube at the same time. Now, if only there was a way to listen to Vevo vids while surfing the web... *sigh*

Thebusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's another way, I like this way it's easy and works with any app not just safari.

1. Open youtube to the song you want
2. Hit play and wait to make sure it's playing.
3. Hit home, this will end the song but it's okay!
4. Hit the screen lock button or whatever it's called.
5. Double tap the home button, this opens a shortcut to play the song.
6. Hit play
7. Unlock screen

Now you should be at your home screen with the song playing in the background.
Have fun.

Singforyourcity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers

You can load the video on youtube then once you have exited youtube and gone onto another app if you double tap the home button so that the multitask thing comes up then slide it to the right and press the play button it will work but i think you have to go straight from youtube to the app you want to use otherwise it uses the music you have saved on your ipad instead of the sound from the youtube video. Hope this helps if your not too sure what i mean let me know and ill try to explain better.

Best advice, cheers

Imagine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best one
1. Start video then change window! (safari)

Note: you have to change window before the song start playing,right after you click on it ! So after the load it will start automatically becauce after the load it always attempt to play it and it does.

Problem solved.

(c) :p

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question for YouTube music listeners: Do you go and launch a new YouTube video each time it ends, or is there some way to queue up a bunch to play in a row? Or are you guys listening to really long YouTube videos?

I'm probably missing something, because it seems like a pain to keep going back to YouTube to launch something new while surfing, etc.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there's a way to play a playlist in the background, Kay. Unfortunately, it also appears that using the new YouTube app means no more background YouTube listening. Now, you have to run the website version in a tab on Safari.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think there's a way to play a playlist in the background, Kay. Unfortunately, it also appears that using the new YouTube app means no more background YouTube listening. Now, you have to run the website version in a tab on Safari.

Thanks, Kevin. I'm staying on iOS 5.1.1 on iPad and iPhone, so I should still be able to listen on YouTube and surf at the same time. I just don't know how without having to launch a new YouTube video every time one ends. (I've not currently using YouTube for music, but there might be something good I'm missing, because so many people ask about it. So I want to learn.)

I've updated only my touch 4 to iOS 6, because I prefer iOS 5.1.1 for Google maps on iPad and iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts