What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i know that it a not a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd agree with most things on Al's list apart from the TV watching. Here in Devon (UK) we are at the end of the phone line with very slow broadband and no cable. (30 hours to download one hour of TV!!!) The only option would be satellite TV and broadband (is there such a thing as satellite broadband?) but that would mean defacing our cottage with a disc! I understand the phasing out of cheques (checks) begins next year!

By the way, What's Denny's like (Don't have them here) - can't be worse than McDonalds!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And the hurt wasn't over once you bought the 5000! If you wanted to buy 3.5" HD diskettes, they were $70.00 for a box of 10 - and they were only available by special order!

Here is a screen shot from the 1990 Radio Shack catalog --

radioshack2.jpg

I moonlighted at RS in 1990 and bought a used Tandy 4000 computer that ran on a 386SX 16 MHz processor. It was originally one of the store's point of sale computers and they were "giving them away" because the stores were upgrading to 486 computers. They were selling the 4000 for half of the original price and being an employee, I got another 15% off of that. I think I paid over $2000 for that PC and I thought I had gotten a real bargain!

For those of you who want to go on a real nostalgia trip, here are copies of most of their catalogs from 1939-2003 --

Radio Shack Catalogs

haha wow. I worked at RS when I was in college for 1 month about the same time. The 386s were already gone, but I remember that the 486s were brand new and we were all amazed at fractal geometry programs and how fast they were. I found another job after our first mandatory monthly Saturday "sales meeting" where they basically yelled at us for 2 hours because we didn't sell enough and threatened to fire everyone and hire a new crew. Somehow they didn't get that people in a small rural town who stopped in to buy a resistor weren't interested in a $4000 computer.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those were the days when Radio Shack was Radio Shack. Being an amateur radio operator, I used to go there on a fairly regular basis to buy components, plugs, wire, cable (cut to length!) and stuff like that! I still have a Realistic 2 meter radio I bought in 1992 and it still works!

This this guy comes in and asks for a spool of antenna cable. I asked him, "How long do you want it?" to which he replied, "Pretty much forever!"

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a Denny's fan as well but a million years ago when I worked late shifts I ate there a lot and after a while all of the food has a very similar flavor.

But it's a treat for me and my wife to pop in there every once in a while. We look forward to it.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'

By the way, What's Denny's like (Don't have them here) - can't be worse than McDonalds!

it a like a chain of fish and chip shops that have there but it more for american taste of breakfast of eggs bacon and hashbrowns at a low end price type of place. where you go at 3 am in the morning drunk and hungrey type of place.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd agree with most things on Al's list apart from the TV watching. Here in Devon (UK) we are at the end of the phone line with very slow broadband and no cable. (30 hours to download one hour of TV!!!) The only option would be satellite TV and broadband (is there such a thing as satellite broadband?) but that would mean defacing our cottage with a disc! I understand the phasing out of cheques (checks) begins next year!

Denny's is one of Americas low low end sit down restaurants serving the lowest quality product legally permitted for human consumption. It is mostly patronized by high school kids, college study groups and drunk after hours adults. The food is horrible, and as unhealthy as it gets, the coffee is bitter and cheap and the service is abysmal. It is basically the shiny example of corporate american food chains, and a big reason this country is obese.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Denny's is one of Americas low low end sit down restaurants serving the lowest quality product legally permitted for human consumption.
Obviously you have never been to --

719801815_d4900a8759.jpg

White castle's are really rare and hard to find....denny's is on every corner in america! I haven't seen a white castle since I was a kid in NY.....but I would guess you should be checked for worms after eating there! My point tho was that Denny's is not a fast food chain, it is a horrible sit down restaurant with all the ambiance and appeal of a fast food chain.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Denny's is one of Americas low low end sit down restaurants serving the lowest quality product legally permitted for human consumption.

719801815_d4900a8759.jpg
i kill for a sack of white castle right now ..your mean by showing me those right now for i haveing a attack of the white castle hambuger jones..

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

719801815_d4900a8759.jpg
i kill for a sack of white castle right now ..your mean by showing me those right now for i haveing a attack of the white castle hambuger jones..

Down here in the South, we have Krystals, which is the same thing as White Castle.
images

They're called "gut grenades" for a reason. But they're good.
images

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
images
Up here they are called "sliders" or "belly bombers".

So I go to White Castle (there is one less than 2 miles from my house!) to eat my lunch and when I take my tray to the trash can on my way out, the cashier says, "Sir, how did you find your White Castle today?" to which I responded, "I moved the onions and there it was!"

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
images
Up here they are called "sliders" or "belly bombers".

So I go to White Castle (there is one less than 2 miles from my house!) to eat my lunch and when I take my tray to the trash can on my way out, the cashier says, "Sir, how did you find your White Castle today?" to which I responded, "I moved the onions and there it was!"

Dang, now I"m hungry for them. Nearest one is about 25 miles East.

Did have several closer 5+ years ago, but the franchise holder for that cluster of them somehow lost his franchise license. Employees came in to work one day to find the place shut down.

How hard is it to lose a Krystal franchise?

Sampson752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not everyone can be awesome appreciating an iPad is apparently hard for some people.

Sampson752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate you all I'm in afgahnistan. I would kill for anything that doesn't taste like it came from the floor of a white castle. Maybe me being in the Stan and saying i would kill for food could be taken out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions