What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am i the only one sick of the Ipad 2 rumours?

Kendo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad isn't a year old. I'd rather read lots of posts about the iPad. Which is real and here. Rather than rumours, false sightings and fake stories. Are you guys really that bored of your iPad already that you just sit and wish the days away for the ipad2 to arrive. Come on guys, enjoy what you've got and not what you haven't.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately you live in the world of Internet not to mention Apple and the iPad. This product has gather media following like a tidal wave and the interest in both Apple and the iPad is amazing to say the least. Forums are a gathering place for information and as this is one of the largest private forums in the world it is only natural that we get a lot of users wanting to know the latest. Moderators like myself try to limit the number of threads by merging or closing when information is out of date. Frankly there is not much you can do but ride out the storm over the next 30 to 60 days as I can assure you the activity will increase after March 2. We will set up a separate section for iPad 2 or what ever it is called once it is released.

Last edited:

V66jack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad isn't a year old. I'd rather read lots of posts about the iPad. Which is real and here. Rather than rumours, false sightings and fake stories. Are you guys really that bored of your iPad already that you just sit and wish the days away for the ipad2 to arrive. Come on guys, enjoy what you've got and not what you haven't.

Untill they release the new iPad I dont think you'll be reading about much else. Unfortunatly most people find un-released products much moe exciting than the one they have had for a year or so.

celsius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not me.
I just do not take them seriously until it has actually appeared.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually, I don't mind reading some of the fanboy wish-fulfillment fantasies which have appeared, and it is exciting to anticipate what iPad2 will offer. Apple's products are so cool, you can't escape the hype. But if it annoys you... just tune out. (The vast majority of the world's population do.)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I don't mind reading some of the fanboy wish-fulfillment fantasies which have appeared, and it is exciting to anticipate what iPad2 will offer. Apple's products are so cool, you can't escape the hype. But if it annoys you... just tune out. (The vast majority of the world's population do.)

ITA with all of this. Well said ~

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The rumours are gonna be put to rest Wednesday. Not only will ipad 2 be announced, supposedly the first shipment of devices is gonna make its wah to stores then also. Realeased to the public wayyy ahead of schedule. I love my ipad as is. Of course i want new features but ipad 2 has to have some major improvements n upgrades.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I just got my iPad three months ago, I'm enjoying mine and in that camp for sure. I won't be getting the 2 with a nearly brand new iPad as it is!
Once the iPad 2 is released, this will be an interesting forum as there will be eventually two groups of users, the first generation and the second, so I guess we may see more discussion in the separate sections of iPad 1 and 2, but then so much really overlaps into other discussions, like apps, OS, etc. But I will be interested to hear about the user experiences and I do want to read the 3/2 media announcement. And like SweetPoison said, I totally tune out the stories of endless speculation that start to get on my own personal nerves. But I hear what you're saying, and yes, I too like to hear what is REAL, not what is speculation and hype, so I just tune out.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other reason why current owners of iPad1 would resist upgrading is because the amount of "accessorial investment" they've put in. When you've spent a ton of money on cases, covers, clamps, stands, what have you - you don't want all that rendered suddenly unuseable.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
The other reason why current owners of iPad1 would resist upgrading is because the amount of "accessorial investment" they've put in. When you've spent a ton of money on cases, covers, clamps, stands, what have you - you don't want all that rendered suddenly unuseable.

That's a good point too! Especially just 3 months in!

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For one thing, as much as I love Apple, I refused to be played. It was a business decision, based on trying to force upgrades for a future iPad2, to leave a camera off the original iPad. People are wanting Retina displays for iPad2 - what do you bet there's no Retina display? Save that to try and force iPad3 upgrades! That could go on and on and on. I'm just happy with my iPad and I try to ignore the cynical and (sometimes greedy) business decisions from Cupertino.

OP
K

Kendo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh how the irony hurts. I make a thread about not enjoying all of the ipad2 rumours and it turns into an iPad 2 rumour thread. Hahaha.

Thanks guys.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, though, is there any evidence that Apple deliberately withheld features and hardware on iPad 1 (or is this mostly personal conjecture/opinion/paranoia)?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I have said before, at some point you have to stop designing a product and actually bring it to market if you want to make money with it. I don't know that they deliberately "crippled" it in any way, but since this was their first foray into the tablet form factor, I think they kept it somewhat basic to see how the market would accept it. Obviously they now have their answer!

This sort of reminds me of what Porsche did in the mid 70's. The company was actually not doing all that well financially and they needed something to bolster their sagging sales. Enter the 924. Up until 1976, Porsches only had air cooled rear or mid-engines. The 924 was an "economy" model (originally intended to be sold by Volkswagen) that used a front-mounted water-cooled engine. It was also the first Porsche that had an optional automatic transmission. This was a real departure for Porsche, but it turned out to be the shot in the arm they needed to put their books in the black. This model eventually morphed into the 944 which led to the luxury V-8 928. And now, no one thinks twice about a front-mounted water cooled power plant in a Porsche.

The touch screen tablet market is still in its infancy. We are going to laugh at how simple the iPad1 was one day!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I have said before, at some point you have to stop designing a product and actually bring it to market if you want to make money with it. I don't know that they deliberately "crippled" it in any way, but since this was their first foray into the tablet form factor, I think they kept it somewhat basic to see how the market would accept it. Obviously they now have their answer!

I think crippled might be too strong a term for it, but I do believe Apple designs their devices with the next generation or two in mind as well. If you make a product too good the first time around you are going to have a hard time getting people to upgrade to the next version. I think the iPod Touch is a perfect example. Just look at the camera feature, we have seen:

(1) (G3) No cameras at all
(2) (G4) Cameras added, but very low quality
(3) (G5) Just a guess here that much better cameras will be the "killer feature"

I bet the cost difference in those cameras is pretty low and the profit margins on the Touch would still have been quite high had Apple decided to use the iPhone cameras. I can't really blame Apple because what they do works. When the G5 Touch comes out you will see a large number of people upgrading just as before because Apple will have made the new version appealing to those with a still relatively new device.

Most reactions

Latest posts