What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i have a problem with people who tell you that the ipad is not a computer

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Muyoso, while I agree with some of your comments, mcbrew is entitled to his opinion. It is a matter of preference. Some people prefer the iPad over the computer for some tasks while others use computers because they feel that the iPad is not worth its price.

I have a MacBook, a Win 7 laptop and an iPad (I am saying this just by way of illustration). Before I had the iPad, I used the MacBook whenever I need to get on the internet. I use the Win 7 laptop solely for software which I cannot run on the MacBook and for some work which I need to send to people who do not use the MacBook. After I got the iPad, I find it so handy and convenient to use it to surf the net and as an ebook reader. The MacBook is still my second choice and I rarely use my Win 7 laptop.

Every system has flaws but some systems are easier to use than others. The iPad is clearly not infallible and not meant for serious work. The iWork application can never replace Winword, Excel and Powerpoint.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would've have just told him to f off.

You guys are so mean! My response is usually:

<Gasp!> "It's not a real computer! Nooooo! I've been cheated! I've been bamboozled! I've been HORNSWAGGLED! AUUUUGH! I've been so stupid! And you! You must be a genius! To have realized this when everyone else was fooled! To have penetrated the conspiracy! To have pierced the veil of deception. Why, you're like a Superman! Thank you, thank you so much! ...so, are you done now?"

Because really, all they want is to impress you with their genius. And I say let them have it! ;)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The iPad is NOT a computer. Computers take a long time to boot up. Computers need to be plugged in, or at least recharged every 3-4 hours. Computers need lots of settings to be played around with before you can connect to a different wifi network. Computers need a $60-$80 monthly payment to connect to G3. Computers need to take up more room. Computers need cooling fans. Computers need lots of USB ports because they are USELESS without lots and lots of wires connected to them.

You weren't supposed to drink the ENTIRE GLASS of koolaid.

No one is drinking Kool Aid.... they just have a different opinion than yours. You will find in life that you will meet many people that have differing opinions of things then you. Why the need to dismiss people with an insult?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Muyoso, while I agree with some of your comments, mcbrew is entitled to his opinion. It is a matter of preference. Some people prefer the iPad over the computer for some tasks while others use computers because they feel that the iPad is not worth its price.

I have a MacBook, a Win 7 laptop and an iPad (I am saying this just by way of illustration). Before I had the iPad, I used the MacBook whenever I need to get on the internet. I use the Win 7 laptop solely for software which I cannot run on the MacBook and for some work which I need to send to people who do not use the MacBook. After I got the iPad, I find it so handy and convenient to use it to surf the net and as an ebook reader. The MacBook is still my second choice and I rarely use my Win 7 laptop.

Every system has flaws but some systems are easier to use than others. The iPad is clearly not infallible and not meant for serious work. The iWork application can never replace Winword, Excel and Powerpoint.

Good points :)

As Steve Jobs said as he presented the iPad at the keynote... the iPad is a product between a laptop and a smartphone.... That is the what it is designed to be... It is not designed to be a laptop replacement (even though many, myself included, have replaced their laptop and other devices with it) or to run a business with. Sure it's a computer. By modern definitions we have "computers" running our cars, microwaves and lawn mowers. They are all computers, just designed for different needs.

Sayishere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i use jump desktop and use my ipad as a somewhat functional computer!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would leave him with the same discomfort he gave you ... by simply lifting my arm and speaking directly into my wrist-watch ... "We have a Code Three Non-Believer at the Starbucks on 5th and Main. Initiate a technology alert. Track and report."

i love that answer but i do not wear a wrist watch i would have to use my iphone to do that .. thanks for idea

it just gets me at times about sme of the ideas that people have about the ipad and how it used ..
Better yet, just talk to the iPad...:p

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You weren't supposed to drink the ENTIRE GLASS of koolaid.

New keyboard and a cup of coffee please. :D

I have (politely) pointed out to some of my doubting friends that my iPad weighs a lot less than their note books, is easier to carry and runs on far less RAM. While I admit that it won't do everything I need it to neither will a net-book.

Then I show them iBooks and how it displays my books and magazines and i show them that I can read in full page view or switch to landscape view on the fly. If they still doubt then I log on to wifi and show them what the web experience is like and I ask them how long their battery lasts for...

BTW: I drive a Yaris sedan (and I'm a big guy) and get the questions about small cars too. The questions usually stop about the time they sit in the car and are surprised at how much room there is and how well it drives etc.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay... Apparently sarcasm doesn't go over well on this forum. I was making fun of "computers", not iPads. Please re-read my post... I think you'll see where I was going with that.

I love my iPad. It does just about everything I need a computer to do... Better than a computer!

Speaking of cars... I drive a Scion xD, which shares a LOT of parts with the Toyota Yaris. People who say I should have a bigger car or a truck are amazed when they see me towing a 1,600 pound trailer behind the xD. I don't need no stinkin' truck!
:ipad-keyboard:

The iPad is NOT a computer.

Yes it is, just not a fully functional one.

Computers take a long time to boot up.

If 30 seconds is a long time, stop snorting the white powder.

The iPad runs on Magic.

If 2 clicks of a mouse and typing of a password are "a lot of settings", then I agree.

Wut?

Wut?

Computers need cooling fans.

Passive cooling.

Computers need lots of USB ports because they are USELESS without lots and lots of wires connected to them.

The iPad is a computer without USB ports, is it useless? Why do they make a USB connector for the iPad? You do understand that without a computer and "lots of wires" your iPad wouldn't be able to make it past the "sync with itunes" screen, right?

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion whether it is in the minority or the majority. As long as he wasn't obtrusively rude you shouldn't let it bother you.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldnt call his response jealousy. Its disgust at people who have to go out and buy the latest trendy gadget not knowing what it is or what it can do or what the competition offers, frustration at how Apple has become so rich from over-hyped products and irritation by the macevangelists that are constantly going around telling everyone how macs and apple products "just work" and are superior to everything else because they come from the almighty hand of Steve Jobs.

I understand some of those frustrations, but doing what he did was far more obnoxious than all those things he hates.

Are you bill gates??
LOL!!! Good one. Really, I don't care if some one is "disgusted" about how many gadgets I have or what brand is on them. I have a good amount of disposable income, I work hard for it and if I want to roll around in it or spend it on an iPhone or iPad , it's no one else's damn business.

And, Mac products do " just work" . Sorry if that fact makes some people upset.:D

slang701

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He is jealous of you and let him go. “People can't do something by themselves; they wanna tell you you can not do it" He is a bad talker anyway.

this morning at the coffee shop i sitting there reading my emails and enjoying my morning tea and this person stops by my table and and tells me that my ipad is not really a computer type system and he went on to tell me about all the faults of the ipad and why i should use a netbook to get all the advantage of a real computer os .then he went on to tell that is a bigger ipod touch with a large screen with internet from the iphone along with how apple controls everything from start to finish and we should not buy apple products ..

i look up at the guy like thank you for messing with my morning me time before work ..:mad:then i tell the guy yes i know it not a really a computer for i do not really use a computer system i use as it design for as basic device that fits between the phone and computer ..he goes ok and walks off ..

as the guy is walking off i sitting there going one of this days it not going to be a good day for someone :(

why do people think they are doing you a flavor by telling you all the faults of a ipad

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a computer any more than a touch is a computer. The iPad offers easier mobility, can be used as ebook reader and better battery life than most laptops or netbooks. Netbooks and Laptops offer a full OS with full file management, the ability to install any application you want that is written for your Linux, Windows or MacOS, the ability and flexibility to attach external storage (DVD, Flashkeys .... ) , and finally Laptops and Netbooks are usually better priced. I use my iPad often more than my laptop because of the mobility but to me the iPad is not a Computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts