What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the competition

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO these devices look great but even if these devices did everything we find lacking in the iPad and have only a 2 hour battery life or freeze up twice a day or are slow or cost to much how many iPad users will switch.

Competition is good, we will see when iPad 2 is released.

Remember how amazed we were at the unveiling of the iPad and the iPhone 4, I assume we will also be amazed when the iPad 2 is announced also.

People were amazed at the iPad debut because it was a new (well....revisited) concept. The only way the iPad 2 debut will have as much of an effect is if it's completely overhauled. Otherwise, it's just gonna be a "cool!" response, instead of "OMG!" response.

2 hour battery life? Which device have you seen that has a two hour battery life. Even the cheapest POS Android tablets currently on the market last more than 2 hours. The Motorola Xoom is quoted at 10 hours of video play, which is the same the iPad was quoted at. It remains to be seen if it will meet that claim, but no one can really test it yet because no one has it. Freeze up twice a day? Really? My Android phone that I have had since October has not froze one time, and I use it A LOT, for many different things. Has the browser crashed occasionally? Sure, but so has my iPad's browsers.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
My only complaint is there seems to be no wifi only version. so im stuck with verizons crap data prices.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wi-Fi only version of the Xoom is coming in April. Price not announced yet. Even if you did buy a 3G one from Verizon, you could still buy it off contract for full price without getting a data plan.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looking good.

"utterly destroys" is a bit fanboyish, but agreed, lets hope it forces apple to up it's game.
The bottomline remains though, what you can do with the device (other than tweak your interface :) )

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
[quot

This thread reminds me of... Canon vs. Nikon

<==== Nikonian all the way! You mean there are other brands???

Pft. Canon rules over Nikon.

WHOA! Didn't mean to start THAT war over here LOL. Longtime PCer, Canon shooter but now have a number of Apple "stuff" and shoot some with a Nikkor on my m4/3 bodies LOL. I'm an equal opportunity techie these days LOL.

Diane

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
[quot

<==== Nikonian all the way! You mean there are other brands???

Pft. Canon rules over Nikon.

WHOA! Didn't mean to start THAT war over here LOL. Longtime PCer, Canon shooter but now have a number of Apple "stuff" and shoot some with a Nikkor on my m4/3 bodies LOL. I'm an equal opportunity techie these days LOL.

Diane

Equal Opportunity is the way to go. Fanboyism is pointless. These companies dont care about you, all they want is your money. its all a game....

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wanna be apple IPads are coming, but as usual a bit late . Apple is so confident their products are superior that do not even bother with showing up at CES.
Show me a company that in middle of a worst economy sell full priced products and then we have a conversation until then just sit back and see how it's done.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wanna be apple IPads are coming, but as usual a bit late . Apple is so confident their products are superior that do not even bother with showing up at CES.
Show me a company that in middle of a worst economy sell full priced products and then we have a conversation until then just sit back and see how it's done.

Luxury brands have traditionally still done very well during economic downturns because their products don't typically get purchased by the people affected worst by a poor economy, the middle class. Porsche has still been making record sales, because most people looking to buy a $100k weren't hurting for cash in a good economy, and aren't hurting for cash now. That's exactly what the iPad, and all of these tablets are, a luxury. The Galaxy Tab, while it didn't sell quite as quickly as the iPad, it still sold more than a million in its first two months, which is still very respectable.

Yes, Apple is VERY VERY good at marketing and selling their products. Other companies would kill to have Apple's customers. But it's always the same story for Apple, they sell their products at a higher price to give that feeling of exclusivity to it's customers. You can get a better computer for the same money, and you will be able to get a better tablet for the same money or less. Even then Apple will still continue to do well with the iPad, but other devices will bit into the market share and eventually take it over.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On and on and on with the android will destroy iPad. Android will not destroy the iPad, for the simple reason that the iPad established the market and will continue to hold the edge for a long time. One year ago, all the pundits we saying the iPad would be too big, too awkward, and there was no market. They compared it to the Newton and made puns about the name. And they said that the competition would have a better product out before the iPad even got started. I have no issues with new and improved concept tablets coming out, but no manufacturer has done so. The reason is that Apple understands that hardware and software have to be integrated. Everyone else buys a software package and adapts it to their hardware. Not the most productive method. Look at the automobile. in the early years, manufacturers would buy engines and transmission, build a chassis, and then send it to a coach builder. In the forties, only a few companies were still using outside coach builders. Packers lost about six months of sales when their coach builder got bought by Plymouth. Now all car makers control all phases of construction. Apple has the future of technology figured out. I think what the next step has to be is for HP, Dell, and Motorola to have a partial merger with Google and establish integrated designs. Eventually, the PC will be down to fewer makers, but better systems. If Apple did not have competition, there would be no improvement. If there were no Apple, there would be no innovation.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Seadog said:
On and on and on with the android will destroy iPad. Android will not destroy the iPad, for the simple reason that the iPad established the market and will continue to hold the edge for a long time. One year ago, all the pundits we saying the iPad would be too big, too awkward, and there was no market. They compared it to the Newton and made puns about the name. And they said that the competition would have a better product out before the iPad even got started. I have no issues with new and improved concept tablets coming out, but no manufacturer has done so. The reason is that Apple understands that hardware and software have to be integrated. Everyone else buys a software package and adapts it to their hardware. Not the most productive method. Look at the automobile. in the early years, manufacturers would buy engines and transmission, build a chassis, and then send it to a coach builder. In the forties, only a few companies were still using outside coach builders. Packers lost about six months of sales when their coach builder got bought by Plymouth. Now all car makers control all phases of construction. Apple has the future of technology figured out. I think what the next step has to be is for HP, Dell, and Motorola to have a partial merger with Google and establish integrated designs. Eventually, the PC will be down to fewer makers, but better systems. If Apple did not have competition, there would be no improvement. If there were no Apple, there would be no innovation.

Again, this.

boneman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking good.

"utterly destroys" is a bit fanboyish, but agreed, lets hope it forces apple to up it's game.
The bottomline remains though, what you can do with the device (other than tweak your interface :) )

Two big ones will be Flash and the ability to access files and the file system. In addition most have USB/miniUSB ports that allow you to move files from your pc as well as connectivity to printers that aren't network attached.

On top of that you can "tweak" your interface as you mentioned. If it ends up like the android phones that come out you'll have the opportunity to install custom ROMs and completely change the way it looks.

None of these are small things.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking good.

Two big ones will be Flash and the ability to access files and the file system. In addition most have USB/miniUSB ports that allow you to move files from your pc as well as connectivity to printers that aren't network attached.

On top of that you can "tweak" your interface as you mentioned. If it ends up like the android phones that come out you'll have the opportunity to install custom ROMs and completely change the way it looks.

None of these are small things.

Also 1080P out. Mkv and avi file support. Drag and drop music/videos on the SD card. Backup to the cloud for contacts/email. Most likely an upcoming music service as well as the ability to stream music from your home computer to the device OTA. Ability to download files on the go and use them, instead of having to return to itunes to sync it to the correct folder on the ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts