What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Wal-Mart dedicated istores

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wal-mart has been a major retailer for Apple for many years. Recently they have been testing a prototype mini Apple store in Arkansas, near their headquarters in Rogers. Invoking the Apple look, it is a radically different approach by Wal-Mart. Traditional Apple displays have been variants of the existing displays used by Wal-Mart. The new displays look like something you would find in an actual Apple store and stand alone. To my knowledge, WM has never done anything like this before, on long term or widescale effort. We now have the Apple stores, Best Buy, and now Wal-Mart with modern displays touting the products. And Sam's Club is on the way. Other than possibly Sears/Target, I do not see any more retailers having such a pact with Apple.

To me, it shows the impact that Apple has on the market. You can talk about how many Android phones and tablets there are, and make all sorts of claims about individual models, but it still boils down to the fact that Apple has them all beat in what counts, name recognition. You will not see any of the other manufacturers with enough clout with the public, where retailers are willing to go past the normal marketing to put items on display. MP3 players are losing market share, but even so, Apple units are outselling all others. Despite all of the models competing with the iPhone, it is still the one to beat. The best proof of that is the resell value of older models compared with the competition. And iPad still owns at least 75% of the tablet market, depending on how you define a tablet.

You can talk about technical details all you want, and never resolve the issue. I think that people look at the tablets. Then they look at what is popular. Then they look at where it is offered. You can go to Best Buy, AT&T, and Verizon and see other brands, but at most retailers like Wal-Mart, Target, etc., no one has a clue about the other brands. Even if they sell them. Then comes the important questions. What happens if it breaks, or I don't like it? Apple's generous return/repair policy stands out. How do I learn about getting the most out of this investment? The Apple stores put on clinics for customers. Around Oklahoma, and probably most states, adult classes are held on using iOS and the iPad or iPhone. I think this is what is serving Apple well with the public. They are saying that you do not have to be a computer technician to enjoy the benefits of an iDevice. We will make things easy for you.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They will also be doing this at a few Target stores starting this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying this because they realize the demise of Best Buy is close at hand.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes easy is just the right thing.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think trying to reach a broader client base is a great idea. Sadly, everytime I've been in the Walmart where I live, the Apple display is always a mess:( Hopefully a designated area will make for better up keep.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
They will also be doing this at a few Target stores starting this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying this because they realize the demise of Best Buy is close at hand.

The last Best Buy in my town just announced that they are closing.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy is getting rid of a lot of their large box stores. We have one of the newer smaller models that are more streamlined. They are having a tough transition in some cases, but I think they have a fair chance of surviving. A lot of their problems have to do with having large areas for software, music, and movies. They are also dealing with decreasing demand for cameras. The iPod, iPad, and iPhone has changed our world, but it has also changed our buying practices.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The prob for Best Buy was lots of people visiting to check out products, then going online to buy for less elsewhere.

About Apple: I like its products and own a good number of them, but I will never be rah-rah about any brand or platform. They all have drawbacks, which is why it's great to have choice and competition.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used to buy all my DVDs and blu-rays at Best Buy...until they moved to the busiest street in town. Now I have to fight traffic to get there. I only bother to show up there when there is a new iPad being released (as in 2011). This year I went to a BB in the next city over...much less of a hassle.

I hope the new Wal-mart stores are better than the displays the Super Walmart has. Just a mess in that section. I would NEVER buy an iPad there. Best Buy felt like a much better place to buy from. And I actually don't like Best Buy too much. :)

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to buy all my DVDs and blu-rays at Best Buy...until the moved to the busiest street in town. Now I have to fight traffic to get there. I only bother to show up there when there is a new iPad being realized (in 2011). This year I went to a BB in the next city over...much less of a hassle.

I hope the new Wal-mart stores are better than the displays the Super Walmart has. Just a mess in that section. I would NEVER buy an iPad here. Best Buy felt like a much better place to buy from. And I actually don't like Best Buy too much. :)

I don't go to Wal-Mart much, but every time I do, I'm reminded about why I don't go there, lol.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of people do not like the big box stores. That is why I think that Best Buy is right to move from that model to smaller, more comfortable stores. Wal-Mart is better as a big box, but parking is a headache I could do without. I have been to many big market bazaars around the world, and appreciate Wal-Mart when I remember them. They are fun to begin with, but after a few trips, you realize how inconvenient they are. I sometimes think that if Wal-Mart were to try it, they could take their enormous amount of roof area into a greenhouse and raise many of the vegetables they sell in the store.

Most reactions

Latest posts