What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the competition

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My question is if you switch tablets what do you do about your apps? I love the apps I have, they work well and give me a good reason to stick with the Ipad until things don't work for me. I am not willing to rebuy apps for a new tablet. Makes little sense to me. I have a good workflow with my apps, Dropbox and am not particularly unhappy with things. Its rather like switching camera systems where you have to rebuy lenses to cover your needs.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
And yet another thread for the android whores on the forum to flaunt this new tablet that isnt even out yet >.>

Anywho..Xoom looks neat. i will get one. But the Ipad 2 will be my main device

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is if you switch tablets what do you do about your apps? I love the apps I have, they work well and give me a good reason to stick with the Ipad until things don't work for me. I am not willing to rebuy apps for a new tablet. Makes little sense to me. I have a good workflow with my apps, Dropbox and am not particularly unhappy with things. Its rather like switching camera systems where you have to rebuy lenses to cover your needs.

Some of us will gladly take the hit and lose some apps to move to a device better suited to our wanrs/needs. If it doesn't appeal to you enough to sacrifice your apps, then don't switch. Simple enough.

Freebirdforever - will you still buy the iPad 2 if it's just a minor upgrade with a front camera and a little more internal memory?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Yes, simply because I have a buyer lined up for my ipod and have plenty of money aside for the xoom. If the xoom is not priced right however, forget it.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read more details on that video, that isn't even a beta version of Honeycomb, that was a very early version, and it was still VERY smooth, especially handling the 3D maps.

None of the devices shown at CES were running a fully functioning version of Honeycomb, they were all just looping a video demo of the features. I think in the next few weeks though we will start to see real video of the OS in action. There are reports that the Motorola Xoom is trying to launch in late February, and since it was the main device used in testing Honeycomb, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. So we'll probably start seeing real video at the end of this month or early February.

What about that, directly from CES

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lftzmL2jK4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Remember that apple is primarily a software company and it's software that's the ultimate deciding factor.
Tablets as gadgets are here to stay and it's the functionality they provide that will chose winners and losers.

The next couple of years will be really interesting to watch.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember that apple is primarily a software company and it's software that's the ultimate deciding factor.

I think every year is as interesting as the next, but I agree that with tablets hitting the showrooms full force, whether it be production or prototype, it is definitely more interesting than the 'pre iPad days'.

I was wondering if you could explain more as to why you believe that Apple is primarily a software company? While I agree that they are a fantastic software company, I have to say that they are equally as great a hardware manufacturer. I think that they do both equally well.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read more details on that video, that isn't even a beta version of Honeycomb, that was a very early version, and it was still VERY smooth, especially handling the 3D maps.

None of the devices shown at CES were running a fully functioning version of Honeycomb, they were all just looping a video demo of the features. I think in the next few weeks though we will start to see real video of the OS in action. There are reports that the Motorola Xoom is trying to launch in late February, and since it was the main device used in testing Honeycomb, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. So we'll probably start seeing real video at the end of this month or early February.

What about that, directly from CES

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lftzmL2jK4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

What about it? It didn't show ANYTHING. No interaction with it, just a paused video. That doesn't tell us anything about the performance of the Xoom other than it has enough battery life to maintain a paused video for at least one minute.

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think if you ask Steve Jobs he would disagree. While their software helps sell the hardware, Apple perceives itself to be a hardware manufacturer first and foremost. Otherwise they could make OS X available to install on any computer as an OS. They have tried that in fact, but decided they prefer designing hardware devices.

I believe there was even an interview with SJ in which he said that they compete with Dell, HP and Sony, but not Microsoft because it is a software company. Look at who he compares Apple market share with.

This I completely agree with and is the point of my original post. I truly believe we will all get better products with serious competition. When Microsoft introduced the "Tablet PC" a decade ago it was so bad the market never caught on.

Now that Apple has given us the first real tablet worth criticizing (to paraphrase Alan Kay), the market has exploded. The next wave of innovation will come as competitors try to push the concept forward.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Competition is always good and will push things further but for many, unless things go to pot with the next few Ipads, its still the one most people think of when you say tablet. I'm a very longtime Win/PC person and the Ipad has won me over and the apps are the reason. If/when there are the same and as easy to use on others and those tablets offer other better options then I might consider. Right now, not really anything to consider. This thread reminds me of Win vs. Apple or in the photo world, Canon vs. Nikon--- except we don't have a real life optional tablet to compare.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO these devices look great but even if these devices did everything we find lacking in the iPad and have only a 2 hour battery life or freeze up twice a day or are slow or cost to much how many iPad users will switch.

Competition is good, we will see when iPad 2 is released.

Remember how amazed we were at the unveiling of the iPad and the iPhone 4, I assume we will also be amazed when the iPad 2 is announced also.

[/url][/QUOTE]

What about it? It didn't show ANYTHING. No interaction with it, just a paused video. That doesn't tell us anything about the performance of the Xoom other than it has enough battery life to maintain a paused video for at least one minute.[/QUOTE]

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Competition is always good and will push things further but for many, unless things go to pot with the next few Ipads, its still the one most people think of when you say tablet. I'm a very longtime Win/PC person and the Ipad has won me over and the apps are the reason. If/when there are the same and as easy to use on others and those tablets offer other better options then I might consider. Right now, not really anything to consider. This thread reminds me of Win vs. Apple or in the photo world, Canon vs. Nikon--- except we don't have a real life optional tablet to compare.

Great analogy! Definitely this is like the "this vs that" wars. Palm vs Pocket PC(WM), of long ago. Same old thing! But this new Honeycomb isn't even out yet. This is a stay tuned type of thing. The Galaxy Tab was supposed to be the next big threat to iPad and doesn't seem to have landed that yet. Maybe if a lowered price wifi only version comes out, but it hasn't yet.
But I say, bring it on to the Android tablets. Why not?! Choice is the stuff of life!

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts