What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI: The inevitable Windows 7 tablet vs. iPad video

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found footage: The inevitable Windows 7 tablet vs. iPad video

from The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) by Steven Sande

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2IuEH07xBg&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Windows 7 vs iPad‬‎[/ame]​

When Microsoft decided to drop the rather interesting Courier slate concept, some of us here at TUAW expected to see a parade of Windows Mobile Phone Whatever tablets coming out of Redmond. Instead, in a manner somewhat akin to putting lipstick on a pig, manufacturers are preparing a bunch of Windows 7 tablets to compete with the iPad.

In this video, you're seeing one of the competitors, a rather thick slate made by Hanvon, going head to head against a stock iPad. The extra chunkiness of this tablet, which appears to boast a 16 x 9 aspect ratio, is due to the addition of a USB port, SD card reader, and ... a camera. For some odd reason, the manufacturer also chose to add a trackpad, which seems redundant considering the device already has a touch screen.

On the one hand, the device is fast. It bests the iPad in many of the side-by-side comparisons. On the other hand, it uses the patented Microsoft method of putting all programs into the Start menu, which appears towards the end of this video and looks like it would be impossibly frustrating to navigate.

Between the expected flood of Win 7 and Android tablets, not to mention some webOS-based tablets from Palm HP, it looks like there will be plenty of competition in the tablet space. Me? I'm sticking with my iPad.

[via Gizmodo]TUAWFound footage: The inevitable Windows 7 tablet vs. iPad video originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really sure what this video proves...iPad still looks better.

The windows one was choppy and of course annoying to navigate.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cool. I wont be shopping for an iPad replacement for a while, but its nice to see there will be options :) I wonder about battery life on the Win7 tablets? I'll be more interested when there is one actually for sale. I've seen a lot of demo videos of products still yet to be in production.

"Annoying to navigate" will depend on your frame of reference. The familiar Windows interface would seem right at home to me. They will have to find ways to accommodate not having a mouse though - that's the tricky part. Drag and drop, right click, stuff like that is integral to the OS. They have smooth scrolling - thats a start. Pinch zoom is not as smooth, but what is "smooth" worth when it comes to real functionality?

Last edited:

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think they are going for a different market segment - people that have specific windows software they need to run while on the go and need the features and security of a "real" OS. The iPad is a media consumption device, that can do some productivity too. A windows 7 tablet would be a productivity device that can do some entertainment too. If they can get good enough performance, long enough battery life, and a quick wake-up, why not use the full-blown OS with well-done finger accommodations?

I don't buy the logic that a slate tablet MUST be a mobile appliance type device.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think they are going for a different market segment - people that have specific windows software they need to run while on the go and need the features and security of a "real" OS. The iPad is a media consumption device, that can do some productivity too. A windows 7 tablet would be a productivity device that can do some entertainment too. If they can get good enough performance, long enough battery life, and a quick wake-up, why not use the full-blown OS with well-done finger accommodations?

I don't buy the logic that a slate tablet MUST be a mobile appliance type device.

I don't agree with that at all.

What can you do on windows that you can't do on iPad....I ask that question and most people can't find an answer.

Once the iPad version of iMovie and iWeb comes out it will be even slimmer a line. I don't understand why people still believe that the iPad is strictly consumption and not creation...I can paint on it, I can make music on it, I can remix music I've made, I can make docs and spreadsheets, write emails post blogs, even make a podcast....what exactly can't you do? I can't find anything.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What can you do on windows that you can't do on iPad....I ask that question and most people can't find an answer.

Once the iPad version of iMovie and iWeb comes out it will be even slimmer a line. I don't understand why people still believe that the iPad is strictly consumption and not creation...I can paint on it, I can make music on it, I can remix music I've made, I can make docs and spreadsheets, write emails post blogs, even make a podcast....what exactly can't you do? I can't find anything.

How about torrenting? Downloading things within native browsers? No need to sync? Ability to play mkv files? How about flash? Print easily?

To do even simple things on an iPad, you have to go through such a hassle. Printing for example is beyond annoying, when it works.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's a real device, it will sell because it's a full computer.
You can't compare oranges to Apples.
It's actually quite a cool device. It's quickness spells processor speed and high power drain though.

Apple needs to dish out the iSlate soon...

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Wins IMHO

I like the keyboard, it's black, it's sleek and it has arrow keys...:lol:

Ivan I respect your observations. But I like the onscreen touch keyboard of the iPad better. Did you notice the tiny detail that everytime a key was selected the key expanded slightly on the iPad as he slid his finger around?

The whole comparison made me like the iPad more.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all there can't be a competition between those two. One is a media consumption device and the other is a computer with autonomy and a full computing OS.

I sense a lack of objectivity from some responses. A touch of jealousy? Partisanry?
Hey, if I'm at a stoplight in a Prius I'll readily admit that the Corvette that just blew by is a better machine for what it does. The Prius will get better mileage in better comfort and it is better for what it does though.
This is a similar situation. I have no shame about saying that this newer tablet is awesome, then I don't know yet about it's drawbacks since they only showed those of the iPad...

Last edited:

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about price, battery performance, etc. Sure it's a full blown OS but what about price. Also what about crashes, file corruption, etc.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

From my daily workload...
1. Open Oracle Enterprise Manager for monitoring Oracle databases - the interface is mostly Flash
2. Open one of my company's web products that is an application built in flash
3. Connect to an Oracle Database - the is no iPad Oracle client
4. Write SQL Code, debug procedures.
5. Run complex Excel macros with embedded visual basic code (or even simple macros for that matter)
6. Print
7. Go get a file from a network location
8. Edit a Powerpoint 2007 file (Doc to go screws up the formatting on mine)
9. Download 300 photos from your camera after a vacation - RAW format
10. Edit those photos in photoshop

I could go on and on. I love the iPad. Its great for what it is, but its not the same as a full OS laptop or desktop. That's the beauty of having both on the market. For those who want the full OS, they will take the lesser battery or whatever other downsides that may come with that. For those that only need what the iPad can do, the iPad is brilliant.

Why do fans of one device feel the need to destroy anything else that comes along? If it doesnt work for you, great. What you find important might not matter to others.

Last edited:

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's a real device, it will sell because it's a full computer.
You can't compare oranges to Apples.
It's actually quite a cool device. It's quickness spells processor speed and high power drain though.

Apple needs to dish out the iSlate soon...

Sorry, but I disagree that it will sell. People seem to forget that Windows tablets have been on the market for atleast 7 years now.

I do think it's a cool looking device and would consider purchasing one but i'm not sold just yet. Also you're correct you cannot compare apples to oranges. A WebOS or Android tablet work be a good comparison.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From my daily workload...
1. Open Oracle Enterprise Manager for monitoring Oracle databases - the interface is mostly Flash
2. Open one of my company's web products that is an application built in flash
3. Connect to an Oracle Database - the is no iPad Oracle client
4. Write SQL Code, debug procedures.
5. Run complex Excel macros with embedded visual basic code (or even simple macros for that matter)
6. Print
7. Go get a file from a network location
8. Edit a Powerpoint 2007 file (Doc to go screws up the formatting on mine)
9. Download 300 photos from your camera after a vacation - RAW format
10. Edit those photos in photoshop

I could go on and on. I love the iPad. Its great for what it is, but its not the same as a full OS laptop or desktop. That's the beauty of having both on the market. For those who want the full OS, they will take the lesser battery or whatever other downsides that may come with that. For those that only need what the iPad can do, the iPad is brilliant.

Why do fans of one device feel the need to destroy anything else that comes along? If it doesnt work for you, great. What you find important might not matter to others.

Very well put. With Photoshop I'll add Autocad and Turbocad and all 3D software.

Most reactions

Latest posts