What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android/Other tablets cutting their price because of the iPad? Not 100% sure...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem other manufacturers have is that they cannot compete. They are doing the best they can, but to start with, their operating systems are fractured. You have several versions of Android, WebOS, and more coming. Several manufacturers will be second guessing using Android for concerns about taking a back seat to Motorola. Then add the problem of trying to dent Apple's market share. Apple is associated with the tablet market and has the top reputation for style and performance. The average user wants exactly what Apple is producing.

Even if the other manufacturers catch up, it will be hard for them to compete on price. With 80+% of market share, their patent portfolio, and their cash reserves, Apple has the bargaining power to get the top components at very low prices. Enough so, that they can make huge profits at prices where the compettion is losing money. Anyone that has worked on cars, knows that when you suffer an accident or breakdown, It does not take much for the sum of the repair parts to be more than the value of the vehicle. Every car shares as many parts as possible, not only among other vehicles by the same manufacturer, but among different manufacturers. That is because it can cost as much for 1000 units as 1,000,000 units. With any product you have three cost factors. Fixed costs which are there for any amount of product. You take the cost of your capital expenses and divide by number of units. The more units, the lower the price. Then you have material cost which will be the same for every unit. Then you have labor/equipment costs which are both types of expenses.

An example of that is looking at a small plant system. You have a manager, secretary, and foreman. If one employee produces 250 units per month, and you have an order for 1000, you need 4 trained employees. With 5000 units ordered, you can managed with 20 employees. However, at some point you have to overstaff your employees to cover time off for vacations and sick leave. So for every 10 employees, you have to hire a spare. However, all these can be managed with one manager, secretary and foreman. After 22 employees, you may need to go to a second foreman. Eventually you may need to hire more secretaries, etc. So production efficiency will be a series of ups and downs according to demand. The equipment needed to produce the equipment will also be a variable. The more production, the more equipment to produce them. Eventually, a new factory may be needed, adding more capital expense. And it takes years to build a new factory, so what happens in the meantime? Will there be a market when the new factory is completed? The public wants now, not when available.

Reaction score
The fracturing has been addressed and a firmware update that will be released approximately October if this year and will bring all things Android under 1 version of Android.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even so, the OS is going to take awhile to catch up to the level of iOS. And it is not just bringing Android under a single OS, but dealing with the multitude of competing OSs. The purchase of Motorola is going to have a big impact on how Google does business, whether they believe that or not. It will also greatly impact how they interact with the wireless carriers.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Even if Android was on par with IOS in terms of quality, the consumer has a multiple choices between several manufacturers. In my opinion, that's the biggest hurdle for Android based tablet manufacturers. When trying to decide between a Xoom, a Galaxy or an Iconia, the customer will try to compare features and prices. Since they have almost the same features, price will be a major factor in his decision...

No Android tablet currently has a killing feature or a must have app... They are all the same, beside some hardware capacities... They are just like a PC, just with different looks...

My bet bet for now would be the Galaxy Tab, but it's been a while since I lurked at what's available in a retail store.

VicoPad addict!

Reaction score
No Android tablet currently has a killing feature or a must have app... They are all the same, beside some hardware capacities... They are just like a PC, just with different looks...

VicoPad addict!

That is the best summation of the point of this thread so far and what is causing the price cutting .
The next Android update will make that even more so.
It has nothing to do with Android vs Apple like Dell vs Gateway has nothing to do with Mac.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The desktop computer was a turning point for the world thirty years ago. Twenty years ago, Apple's GUI interface took it to a new level. Ten years ago, Apple made the iPod into a game changer with iTunes. Now, we are seeing a new group of technologies, again led by Apple. The iPad is just a player in this new game. It is a partner with the MacBook Airs which are creating a new breed of laptops. The current term is ultrabooks, but it is taking a minimalist look at what is needed for a laptop to produce a new breed of portable power. Many thought the netbooks were the next big thing, but Apple has essentially tore apart the netbook market.

And hardest for the competition, is the fact that with the same technology that makes the iPad a market hog, the MBA does more at a lower price than anyone else can produce. Intel has tried to encourage the under $1000 ultrabook among manufacturers, but the first competitor's model has a list price of $1800. That is $300 more than its Apple equivalent. While laptops are not a new market, and there is those who are entrenched in the models they love, the ultrabooks are new. When netbooks hit the market, people could not buy them fast enough. Then tablets almost wiped them out, and ultrabooks will take another slice of that market. The need for sub $500 netbooks will be there, but not at any level near the peak. Apple will set the trend for ultrabooks, just like they did with the iPad.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Seadog said:
The desktop computer was a turning point for the world thirty years ago. Twenty years ago, Apple's GUI interface took it to a new level. Ten years ago, Apple made the iPod into a game changer with iTunes. Now, we are seeing a new group of technologies, again led by Apple. The iPad is just a player in this new game. It is a partner with the MacBook Airs which are creating a new breed of laptops. The current term is ultrabooks, but it is taking a minimalist look at what is needed for a laptop to produce a new breed of portable power. Many thought the netbooks were the next big thing, but Apple has essentially tore apart the netbook market.

The netbook market was a dead market from the start. A netbook is just another laptop, stripped down, with a strange gui in some cases and with a bad battery life. I had a look at them a few years ago and I found them to be too small for work usage.

- The keyboard was way too small, actually smaller than the iPad in landscape mode
- A 7-10 inches screen to run regular apps like Office, Firefox, etc...
- They were built cheap, felt fragile
- Battery life was horrible (max 3 hours in most cases)
- The cost for a decent netbook was the same as a 15’ laptop...

In the end, it was more efficient to buy a 13' or 15' laptop than a netbook. And one main reason was that softwares, in general were not built to run on such a small device.

I doubt that the iPad killed the netbooks market. That segment never really took off in the first time...

VicoPad addict!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree that netbooks were never going to be anything of importance, but they suited a young market that wanted portability and cheap. Tablets, particularly the iPad, showed that netbooks were not a solution. The need for good, quality, portable computing was there, but Apple showed how to do it right.

What most people should realize is that what Apple does is not miraculous. There were PCs before the Apple II, there was GUI before the Macintosh, and there were MP3 players before the iPod. Just like the Americas were discovered long before Christopher Columbus. It has more to do with putting the pieces together in such a way that the public finds of interest, and can use. That is where the competition has failed, is being unable to take a long look at what the public desires and make the effort to refine that desire into a finished product. Most products are designed by a committee. Every part of a committee wants more features that they feel is important, and no one has the authority or vision to say no and make it stick. The future of Apple after Steve Jobs is whether or not they can find the person(s) that can make that call consistently, and be the face of Apple to the public.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A report out today says that not including returns, only 25,000 of the 270,000 HP Touch Pads shipped to Best Buy have been sold. This has prompted demands from Best Buy for HP to take the unsold models back. This does not bode well for any of the manufacturers. Market numbers are based on units shipped and not units sold. If this is a reflection of the other manufacturers, then it means that Apple's market share is a lot more overwhelming than posted.

Reaction score
I'm not understanding the logic. You state that numbers shipped are the basis of market share but then make a statement about it proving overall superiority?
For one it's not the topic of the thread, Apple market share dominance is a plain fact and not the subject of this thread. if the number of units on the shelf is the basis then those numbers, that aren't even the topic at hand, on the Apple side are not accurate to sales either.
And please stop trying to turn this into a which os is better thread.

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The posting was about vendors cutting prices to compete. The issue with HP Touch Pads is that is they are not selling, then the reason for the price cuts may be to just get rid of what is on hand, even at the point of losing money. If they take unsold units back, it is a lot worse than the money lost by selling units below cost. And if this is happening to HP, then what about the other units? The Apple units are selling as fast as they can ship them, so the number shipped is an accurate reflection of their sales. Manufacturers like using production numbers and as diversified as the sales are, it is almost impossible to get a better idea of sales past the wholesellers.

My main reason for mentioning this news, is that there comes a point when it the OS has no meaning in the discussion. For discussion sake, based on the reports, Apple has 80+% of the market. If what is happening with Best Buy and the HP Touch Pad is an indication of the other manufacturers sales, then the Apple market is closer to 95+%. It means that none of the competitors is making any difference in the market share. Even those who love the iPad understand that if you let one company dominate the market that much, you will not have progress at a level people desire. Look at how Microsoft dominated the market share for so many years. The Microsoft OS stagnated, and Office became a bloated and expensive program. I love my iPad, but when I buy my second one, it should be a far superior model because Apple has kept it cutting edge. Not just a few tweaks to keep the competition at bay.

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would estimate that Apples market share is indeed far larger than 80% and I would also venture a guess that it is not price, but perceived value which is the deciding factor for many iProduct buyers, especially the younger public.
Perceived value relating to things like being cool, hip, have status and all that. Much the same as in my younger years, not jeans, but Levi's were a must have item.

I would not underestimate the power of image, status and all that and their influence on buying behaviour.

As for Android, I -being a Linux user at heart- do own my share of Android devices and am very pleased with them. I consider myself an educated buyer and it is not price, but features that has been the deciding principle in buying my stuff. I may not represent the average buyer though.

The iPad has a few things that place it far in front of the runners up. Image, user-friendliness of the Gui, many many apps. Pricing of the iPad is quite steep though, considering what you get, however the sleek device and well integrated interface will do for most users.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
The posting was about vendors cutting prices to compete. The issue with HP Touch Pads is that is they are not selling, then the reason for the price cuts may be to just get rid of what is on hand, even at the point of losing money. If they take unsold units back, it is a lot worse than the money lost by selling units below cost. And if this is happening to HP, then what about the other units? The Apple units are selling as fast as they can ship them, so the number shipped is an accurate reflection of their sales. Manufacturers like using production numbers and as diversified as the sales are, it is almost impossible to get a better idea of sales past the wholesellers.

My main reason for mentioning this news, is that there comes a point when it the OS has no meaning in the discussion. For discussion sake, based on the reports, Apple has 80+% of the market. If what is happening with Best Buy and the HP Touch Pad is an indication of the other manufacturers sales, then the Apple market is closer to 95+%. It means that none of the competitors is making any difference in the market share. Even those who love the iPad understand that if you let one company dominate the market that much, you will not have progress at a level people desire. Look at how Microsoft dominated the market share for so many years. The Microsoft OS stagnated, and Office became a bloated and expensive program. I love my iPad, but when I buy my second one, it should be a far superior model because Apple has kept it cutting edge. Not just a few tweaks to keep the competition at bay.

Yes that makes good sense. That and all the frivolous lawsuits are what bothers me. Neither is good for the consumer.
MS did the same thing, like you said , and it hurt the consumer in the long and short run

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts