What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File Management Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

devinec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have tried a few apps including iFiles. Do any of them allow you to grab and manage all files from apps like Pages or Numbers at one time? Berokyo does not allow you to create folders. Any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There will never be an app that allows you to do this in the way that you might have expected if you come from the Windows world. In the iPad all apps are isolated and have a private and inviolate file space that no other app has access to. So it would not be possible for an app to access, say, the file space associated with Pages, for example. The iPad's operating system, iOS, simply won't allow it.

Tim

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To get what you want, you need to jailbreak your iPad. Then its just like a standard Unix file system.

OP
devinec

devinec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
There will never be an app that allows you to do this in the way that you might have expected if you come from the Windows world. In the iPad all apps are isolated and have a private and inviolate file space that no other app has access to. So it would not be possible for an app to access, say, the file space associated with Pages, for example. The iPad's operating system, iOS, simply won't allow it.

Tim

Great, finally a straight answer. At least I now know which direction I must go . . . Cloud. I have been using Drop Box and iDisk. When is iCloud becoming available? I assume without jail breaking my iPad (I do not want to go down that path) Cloud file management is the only real way to go. Your answer saved me the time and frustration of a long quest I should not pursue. Thank you and I am going to keep your name for future reference.

Charlie Devine

Reaction score
Tim's avatar isn't what it is by accident. He truly is The super hero of this forum.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
devinec

devinec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any answer that clean, with technical facts, in three sentences or less, that anyone can understand, is truly a gift.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There will never be an app that allows you to do this in the way that you might have expected if you come from the Windows world

In my mind, this is not an expectation born just from the windows world. I think this would be just as accurate if you said: "There will never be an app that allows you to do this in the way that you might have expected if you came from the windows/OSX/linux/unix/msdos/android/everyotherOS world." This lack of direct access to files is absolutely unique to IOS as far as I can tell. Even iMacs and Macbooks have access to files through finder.

The expectation for access to files on one's shiny new ipad is reasonable and broad, in my mind. I would hate to (even remotely) suggest that such an expectation is limited to those who are accustomed to using those evil windows machines.

Last edited:
OP
devinec

devinec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I have been using computers since the Atari 800, the Apple II and even had the first Mac 128K. This is the first and only "computer" that puts limits on file management. I have to believe this is going to be rethought by Apple in future operating systems. Especially with the Mac Air/ Apple operating system changes moving towards iPad like operation. Is there ever going to be a USB port? Another question for the ages.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input; we always appreciate members helping each other out.

However, this is an old thread. Either the original poster has found the answer elsewhere or has moved on (last post was in August 2011).

Therefore, this thread is closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts