What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet Another File Management Question

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking for a file management apps that allows me to work directly with multiple online cloud services like;

-Dropbox
-Skydrive
-Google Drive
-etc.

The most important feature I'm looking for is the ability to edit files directly online and move files to different folders on in the cloud service itself. I don't want to have to download the files first, then re-upload them to the folder I want to put them in, and finally delete the original location on the drive itself.

I've used most of the ones I could find and I haven't found one yet in the App Store that allows me to do this. I really like the interface of "Documents" by Readdle.

Any suggestions?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you must mean you don't want to have to execute a separate command that downloads the file, and then saves it, and then let's you edit it, save it, and then re-upload it, right? If a tool looks into your Dropbox, for example, and let's you view the contents of a file, it has download that file. It just did it without telling you or forcing an action on you. I bring this up only because the way you worded your question might make others think they don't know of such a tool when they are using one everyday.

I think most if the tools I use force you to download and store before letting you edit. I will check to make sure.

OP
mfldmike

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't necessarily want to edit the file without force downloading it but I would like to move the file into different folder directly in the cloud without having to download it first.

I know there are a bunch of apps that allow you to force download the file and then re-upload that file in the folder you choose in cloud services, but there isn't one that just moves the file.

Say for instance I have 12 files in the root of one of my cloud services, I'd like to move those 12 files to a certain folder on that cloud without downloading them...it'd be nice if you could transfer files like this between cloud services.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think if you use Google drive and the web-based apps that work with it then you are as close to what you want as you can get, since all of that is happening in the browser. That how the chromebooks work as they have nothing but a browser. You can get chrome for your iPad. As for moving files between clouds, no service is going to support that and make it an easy think to do as it is not in their interest to do so.

OP
mfldmike

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually JUST found an app that allows me to do that and even more, at $5.99 it's a little on the pricier side but we'll worth it for the productivity it allows.

It's called File Browser in the App Store

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually JUST found an app that allows me to do that and even more, at $5.99 it's a little on the pricier side but we'll worth it for the productivity it allows. It's called File Browser in the App Store

It's a good app but it doesn't actually do gay you said you wanted, but it is about as good as you can get. There are other apps that do similar things, like File Explorer.

OP
mfldmike

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot edit directly through this App, but I can batch move files between cloud services AND cloud folders without having to download them to my device. I can also take multiple files from my device and transfer them to the major cloud services...including photos.

This is exactly what I wanted, I don't know any other App that does this.

What other Apps have you came across that allows this??

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fileexplorer/id499470113

Features:
1) Access Remote Computer/File Server/NAS
Supported OS and device: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Time Capsule and NAS server with SMB support.
Access network shares on above OS and device by CIFS/SMB protocol.
Manage(copy/move/rename/delete) your remote files from iDevice.
Stream movies and musics from remote computer/NAS to iDevice.
Transfer files between remote computer/NAS and iDevice.
Search files by file name.
Support network discovery and make connection setup easily.
Support VPN and port forward(139 and 445 port) to connect your computer/NAS over Internet.

2) Cloud Storages
Supported Cloud Storage: Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive and Box.
Access and manage your files on Cloud Storage.
Stream movies and musics to iDevices
Transfer files between Cloud Storage and iDevice.

3) Local Storage
FTP Server: Transfer files between computer and iDevice over WiFi
Sort files and folders by name, date and size etc.
File Management: Copy/Delete/Move files.

4) Built-in file readers
Photos:
Support JPG, PNG, TIFF
Play Slideshow
Share photos on Twitter, Facebook, Email etc.

Video Player:
Support majority video formats: MOV,MP4,M4V,MPV,AVI,XVID,MKV,RMVB,WMV,FLV etc.
Support video streaming
Video quality:
Up to HD quality (1280 x 720 pixels) for Quick Time media files (MP4, MOV, M4V, MPV)
Up to DV quality (720 x 576 pixels) for other media files (AVI,XVID,MKV,RMVB,WMV,FLV etc.)

Music Player:
Support MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV
Background, shuffle, Repeat play
Audio streaming

PDF Reader:
Fast open large pdf file.
Support Outline, Bookmark, page thumbnails, annotation link etc.

Document Reader:
MS Office: Support Word, Excel, Powerpoint documents
iWork: Support Pages, Numbers, Keynote documents
And more formats: plain text, RTF(Rich Text Format), HTML and Web Archives

More Features:
* Universal app
* Transfer photos between iDevice Photo Library and remote computers/cloud storage.
* Password lock down app
* Favorites, History, Email, Air Print etc.

OP
mfldmike

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really liking file browser...I can connect to my home network, NAS, and other devices; not to mention multiple cloud services.

Most reactions

Latest posts