What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastern Tennessee - Knoxville - Atomic Bomb!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Christopher Place - Part I

The Christopher Place was a large private house which went through several ownerships until converted into a mountain Bed & Breakfast Inn that also has a wonderful night chef offering a prix fixe dinner (four courses w/ no choices, although food allergies can be handled). The location offers views of the Smoky Mountains - located near Newport, TN - driving times to local sites and cities given in the previous post. NOW, if you are planning a visit to the area and want to stay nearer the usual tourist towns and the Smoky Mountains National Park, then there are innumerable options in the town or up higher on the mountains.

Images below show the entrance to the inn (tennis courts & small outside pool available) and also the back veranda facing the mountains - first three pics are mine and the others from the web (spiral staircase, pub/library, & wedding view) - near the hydrangea bushes is the entrance to a mountain trail. The Inn is small, just 9 rooms each w/ its own name - we rented a suite on the second floor w/ the main bedroom facing the mountains - a main floor and second level veranda offer rocking chairs. Dave :)
TN_1Christopher1.JPG
TN_2ChrisPlace_Hydrangeas.JPG
TN_3Christopher2.JPG
TN_4ChrisPlace_Weddings.jpg
TN_5ChrisPlace2ndFloor.jpg
TN_6ChristopherPubLibrary.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Christopher Place - Part II

The views from the verandas are breathtaking - all outdoor pics below are my own - first three the mountain views during the day - the next two, our last night sitting on the first floor veranda after dinner - just watching the mountains and clouds - as the sun goes down the mountains change into rolling blue hazes and the clouds take on pinks as the sun sets - enjoyed the view each night of our stay.

The last image below is a composite made in Keynote of the four evening menus that we enjoyed - Karen Valentine is the chef and each night came up w/ an amazing assortment of courses, each w/ different tastes and textures - we had few minor complaints, and several nights we were the only guests in the dining room, which felt like having our private mansion.

The breakfasts were also outstanding - I only had two (just not a breakfast guy), but Susan enjoyed breakfast every day and from her description, all were different w/ fresh fruit a frequent offering. My reason for the detail is again for those reading this thread and wanting to visit the eastern TN area, this is a special place if my descriptions are of interest. Dave :)
TN_1Christopher3.JPG
TN_2Christopher4.JPG
TN_3Christopher5.JPG
TN_4ChrisSunset1.JPG
TN_5ChrisSunset2.png
TN_6MenusChristopherPlace.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those views certainly are spectacular, especially the view from your balcony. Thanks for the interesting post.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those views certainly are spectacular, especially the view from your balcony. Thanks for the interesting post.

Thanks - we loved the place - a 4* inn w/ some room for improvement (like the fitness room) but we were pleasantly surprised and the place exceeded our expectations - for those wanting a 'romantic' mountain retreat, this inn certainly qualifies. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sevierville - Pigeon Forge - Gatlinburg

Our first full day w/ some possible rain in the prediction - we decided to visit the tourist towns - the first image below is a listing of many of the activities in the three places - now, their are plenty more options, numerous lodging choices, tons of restaurants (many chains) - this area is really family oriented but plenty to do for adults; the summers are extremely crowded, so going off season is recommended if you're 'allergic' to kids - ;)

From that list, we have probably just done about a dozen activities and limited ourselves on this day. Our first stop was the Tanger Outlet in Sevierville (discussed in an earlier post in this thread along w/ the other two towns - so go to the earlier pages, if interested) - click the link for the directory; Susan needed a few items - the place is gigantic (see the aerial view below) - interestingly, years ago this was indeed a 'discount outlet mall', but according to one of the sales persons, 90% of the stores are now regular shops, so don't expect a lot of discounts.

We then drove through Pigeon Forge - MUCH to do there - the Titanic Museum was of interest but reservations were needed and the parking lot was packed, so maybe next time when we likely will come in the off-season; below just a few pics of attractions, including the famous Dolly Parton Dollywood - she was born here and has contributed a LOT to the community.

Next onto Gatlinburg, a beautiful (and too busy!) town nestled in the mountains - a popular winter sking resort, so plenty of aerial rides to take as shown below (we've done both the tram and chair lifts in the past) - this time a new exhibit in the area, i.e. Ripley's Aquarium which was excellent (but again really crowded!) - virtually identical to the one I described on our Myrtle Beach trip. Finally, we took the Motor Nature Trail which was beautiful, but again many of the visitation sites described in the link were packed w/ vehicles - however, highly recommended. We have already planned to return in the spring or fall and will likely find closely mountain lodging near Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg - Dave :)
SPFG_A1Attractions.png
SPFG_A2TangerSign.jpeg
SPFG_A3TangerOutlet.png
SPFG_B1PigeonForgeAerial.jpg
SPFG_B2Dollywood.jpg
SPFG_B3TitanicMuseum.jpg
SPFG_C0GatlinburgNight.jpg
SPFG_C1AquariumGatlingburg.jpg
SPFG_C2AerialTram.jpg
SPFG_C3Gat_ChairLift.jpg
SPFG_C4MotorNatureTrail.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cumberland Gap National Historical Park (CGNHP) - Part I

Our second full day w/ a good weather prediction - so, headed north for about 90 minutes (first map below) to CGNHP - highway 25E use to pass through the Gap, but in 1996, the Cumberland Gap Tunnel opened at a cost of $280 million - the 'tunnels' are 4,600 ft long and allowed restoration of the 'original' gap to its 1810 appearance, which is seen now (second image shows the tunnel entrance - no fee).

Once through the tunnel, the exit ramp to the park is only a short drive - a reconstructed log cabin is near the Visitor's Center - two films are offered, an introduction and another longer and excellent one on Daniel Boone who blazed a trail through the Gap in 1775 - now, Boone did not 'discover' the Gap - the honor goes to Dr. Thomas Walker in 1750, although the trail was used by Native Americans and various migrating animals well before those dates - next images of several paintings (one recent & the other an older more famous one) portraying Boone taking settlers through the Gap; these are followed by aerial views of the Visitor's Center, a park map, and an aerial view of the drive to the Pinnacle (next post) - quotes below Source - Dave :)

Known as the first great gateway to the west, Cumberland Gap is a prominent V-shaped notch in the Cumberland Mountains that was used by wildlife, Native Indians, explorers, hunters and pioneers wishing to pass through the mountains. The Gap is situated on the Kentucky-Virginia boundary approximately one-quarter of a mile north of the point where Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee meet.

Dr. Thomas Walker of Albemarle County in Virginia is credited with discovering the pass in 1750 while searching for settlement sites beyond the mountains.

In 1775, Daniel Boone, along with thirty other men, were hired to blaze a trail, later known as the Wilderness Road, from Martin's Station (Rose Hill, Virginia) through Cumberland Gap. It would become the main artery for pioneer migration into the trans-Appalachian wilderness over the next 50 years.

Today the park stretches for 26 miles along Cumberland Mountain. It occupies roughly 24,000 acres along the Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee border, and contains roughly 85 miles of hiking trails, as well as numerous scenic and historic features. Ranger led programs are also offered throughout the year, which include tours of Gap Cave and the historic Hensley Settlement.
TN_A1CumbGap_MaptoPark.png
TN_A2CumbGapTunnel.png
TN_A3CGap_EntranceSign.JPG
TN_A4CGapVistorsCtr_Cabin.JPG
TN_A5CumberlandGapNHPVCtr.JPG
TN_B1Gap_WrightPainting.jpg
TN_B2CumbGap_BinghamPainting.jpg
TN_B3CumbGap_Visitor.png
TN_B4CGapPark_Map.jpg
TN_B5CumbGapAerial.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cumberland Gap National Historical Park (CGNHP) - Part II

Following our viewing of the films, we started our drive on the Pinnacle View Road and parked at the Thomas Walker parking lot named for Dr. Walker (let's say the first 'white guy' to come upon the Gap) - the two signs below are at the entrance to the trail to the Saddle of the Gap - notice the walking distances to that point and also to the Tri-State Peak (which I did not do) - the trail to the Gap is not impressive and the point w/ the signs reached are rather humble - this Gap trail was only 'feet' in width allowing people & horses to pass, but not wagons, YET from the late 1770s to the early 1800s, over 300,000 people traveled into Kentucky & Tennessee - wish that I could go back in time and have a lemonade stand there - ;)

Once we reached the short distance to the Saddle, I sent Susan back to the car and I continued on for nearly a mile (a big mistake because the trail was all steeply downhill - coming back was exhausting for a 70 year old!). Then we headed up the road to the Pinnacle Parking area - there is a Civil War history on this mountain drive (quote below from a previous link) - ruins of two forts can be toured (did not do - I've taken Susan to many of these forts, so decided to give her a break - ;)) - BUT, the Pinnacle Overlook was magnificent (height only 2,440 ft but still spectacular) - nearly all pics from the overlook are my own w/ a final one of Susan pretending to be exhausted - have to chuckle.

Now, there were other attractions but would require a second day, e.g. the Gap Cave & Hensley Settlement. Dave :)

During the Civil War, both Union and Confederate forces vied for control of the Cumberland Gap which was a strategic stronghold for both sides. Union commanders viewed the gap as a way to cut the Confederacy in two and an opportunity to disrupt communication and supply lines along the southern railroad. Confederate commanders recognized this and saw the gap as a critical defensive position (Source).
TN_C1GapPlaques.JPG
TN_C2CumbGapTrail.jpg
TN_C3CGap_Sign.JPG
TN_C4CumbGap_POverlookWeb.jpg
TN_C5Pinnacle1.JPG
TN_D1Pinnacle2.JPG
TN_D2Pinnacle3.JPG
TN_D3Pinnacle4.JPG
TN_D4Pinnacle5.JPG
TN_D5Susan3.JPG

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you managed to survive the trail. As exhausting as it was, I'm sure the scenery was worth it.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you managed to survive the trail. As exhausting as it was, I'm sure the scenery was worth it.

The temperature was in the 80s F - even 81 degrees on the Pinnacle Overlook - but the views were indeed spectacular as my pics show - we'll be going back to Blowing Rock next month for some more 'mountain time' - we've not been up Grandfather Mountain in a while, so probably will be a visit (the Mile High Bridge is located there, SO should be a lot cooler on top!). Dave :)
GMtn_04 copy.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Foothills Parkway, Cosby Trails, and Gatlinburg Arts & Crafts Community

On our third and last full day, we took a ride on the Foothills Parkway, i.e. the 6 mile segment starting near Cosby and ending at I-40; this is a National Park project started in 1944, but only 3 of 8 segments are open to the public (22+ miles of a projected 72 miles). There are a half dozen overlooks w/ beautiful views of the surrounding mountains - at one we were suppose to see our Inn but could not spot the place - pics below show an aerial map, plus three of my own including a nice panoramic view.

Our next stop was the Cosby Campground which has numerous hiking trails of varying length and difficulty - we picked the easy to moderate Nature Trail, just a mile loop w/ streams, log bridges, and fording a wider stream over rocks - Susan has balance issues, so after a brief start, she returned to wait for me to complete the walk. There are innumerable trails throughout the Smoky Mountains park - some listed HERE - pics on the trail below are my own, SO I was 'on the trail' - ;)

For much of the afternoon, we drove on the 8-mile loop (Buckhorn & Glades Streets - see map below) visiting the Gatlinburg Arts & Crafts Community and visited about a dozen or more shops/stores; Susan bought some jewelry and olive oils - visited mainly art & woodworking artisans. There are well over 100 members along this route, BUT many, many other arts and crafts stores are located outside this loop, and of course also in the adjacent towns of Pigeon Forge and Sevierville - a little information quoted below from the link above. Dave :)

The largest group of independent artisans in North America. This historic 8-mile loop has been designated a Tennessee Heritage Arts & Crafts Trail. Established in 1937, these artisans whittle, paint, sew, cast, weave and carve to create original collectibles such as candles, baskets, quilts, brooms, pottery,
jewelry, dolls, ceramics, scrimshaw, silver smithing, leather, stained glass, wearable fashions, fine photography, frameable art, oils, watercolors, and also lodging, restaurants, cafés, tea room, soda fountain and candy shops. Make plans to visit the Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community.
TN_A1FoothillsPway_Sign.JPG
TN_A2FoothillsPway_Aerial.png
TN_A3FoothillsHwy1.JPG
TN_A4FoothillsHwy2.JPG
TN_A5FoothillsHwy3.JPG
TN_B1CosbyParkSignJPG.JPG
TN_B2CosbyNT1.JPG
TN_B3CosbyNT2.JPG
TN_B4CosbyNT3.JPG
TN_B5CosbyNT4.JPG
TN_C1ArtsCraftsTrail_Sign.jpg
TN_C2ArtsCrafts_Map.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Great Wagon Road - Book Recommendation!

When we were at the Visitor's Center of the Cumberland Gap National Park - I bought the book below which was written in 1973, and reprinted in 2016 - a description from the back cover quoted below. The author is Parke Rouse, Jr. (1915-1997), a native Virginian and for a time the director of publications at Colonial Williamsburg (now that's another story!).

For those reading this travelogue and planning to visit to the Virginia Shenandoah Valley (Interstate 81) and into the Carolinas & Tennessee, this book would be an excellent 'historic' guide to the area and the many towns (now some large cities) along the way. Dave :)

The Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia to the South was first publishedd by McGraw Hill as part of its "Great American Trails" series, edited by A. B. Gutherie, Jr. It was instantly recognized for its insight into the birth of the American South from the early 1700's until the Civil War. Historian Carl Bridenbaugh wrote that "In the last sixteen years of the colonial era, southbound traffic along the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road was numbered in tens of thousands; it was the most heavily travelled road in all America..." and Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson marked its route on their map of Virginia in 1754 as "the great Wagon Road from the Yadkin River through Virginia to Philadelphia distant 435 miles."

Over the years the Road led countless Scotch-Irish, Germanic, and English settlers southward from Philadelphia to settle the Appalachian uplands from Pennsylvania to Georgia. Over the Road went the progenitors of John Sevier of Tennessee, John Caldwell Calhoun of South Carolina, Sam Houston of Texas, Cyrus McCormick of Virginia, and other Americans.

Countless cities and towns from Philadelphia to Augusta, Georgia, owe their beginning to early camp sites along the Road that grew into tavern locations, then into county seats, and then into centers of agriculture and industry. Today such Wagon Road towns as Lancaster, York, and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Harper's Ferry, West Virginia; Winchester, Newmarket, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Lexington, and Rocky Mount, Virginia; Winston-Salem, Salisbury, and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Newberry and Camden, South Carolina have grown along the onetime settler's trail.

The Great Wagon Road also tells of Daniel Boone's pioneering from Big Lick, Virginia-now Roanoke-into the territory of Kentucky. Boone Expedited western settlement by cutting a trail across Cumberland Gap on Virginia's frontier to lead settlers in Revolutionary years into dangerous Indian country.
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 12.47.04 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Great Wagon Road - Book Recommendation!

When we were at the Visitor's Center of the Cumberland Gap National Park - I bought the book below which was written in 1973, and reprinted in 2016 - a description from the back cover quoted below. The author is Parke Rouse, Jr. (1915-1997), a native Virginian and for a time the director of publications at Colonial Williamsburg (now that's another story!).

For those reading this travelogue and planning to visit to the Virginia Shenandoah Valley (Interstate 81) and into the Carolinas & Tennessee, this book would be an excellent 'historic' guide to the area and the many towns (now some large cities) along the way. Dave :)

View attachment 73128
Do any remains of the original wagon road still exist?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do any remains of the original wagon road still exist?

Well, many lengths are now parts of the modern interstate & state highway systems - e.g. see map below where much of I-81 is located where the many towns in Virginia arose along the Great Wagon Road; HW 11 there parallels the interstate highway and was part of the old road; around my area NC HW 8 was also part of the Wagon Road and use to be how Susan & I got to Lexington (before the Interstates were constructed) decades ago when we were furnishing our house.

However, portions of the the road can still be travelled by car, bike, or on foot (believe I showed some pics in my Winston-Salem travelogue - need to restart that one!). NOW, if you are interested in a mile-by-mile description of the current day equivalents of the Great Wagon Road, take a look at the LONG table in this Wiki Article. Dave :)
wagon_road.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Numerous Wild Forest Fires in the NC-TN-Etc Mountains!

Our entire area is under severe drought conditions, especially in the mountains of NC & TN - numerous wild fires are now burning (see first pic below), especially in eastern Tennessee around Gatlinburg and adjacent towns which are on the border of the Great Smoky Mountains - the topic of a number of recent posts in this thread. USA Today Discussion giving more details - hundreds of houses, businesses, smaller attractions have been destroyed - now raining which has helped a lot.

Sad to see this popular TN visitors area suffering this potential disaster - one important attraction of concern is the Ripley Aquarium of the Smokies, which has over 10,000 animals - so far in a recent news release, the structure is intact and the power is still on (plus, backup generators are in place) - hopefully more rain will continue to help to control these fires. Dave :)
112916-southeast-wildfires-v2.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 2.20.06 PM.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Numerous Wild Forest Fires in the NC-TN-Etc Mountains!

Our entire area is under severe drought conditions, especially in the mountains of NC & TN - numerous wild fires are now burning (see first pic below), especially in eastern Tennessee around Gatlinburg and adjacent towns which are on the border of the Great Smoky Mountains - the topic of a number of recent posts in this thread. USA Today Discussion giving more details - hundreds of houses, businesses, smaller attractions have been destroyed - now raining which has helped a lot.

Sad to see this popular TN visitors area suffering this potential disaster - one important attraction of concern is the Ripley Aquarium of the Smokies, which has over 10,000 animals - so far in a recent news release, the structure is intact and the power is still on (plus, backup generators are in place) - hopefully more rain will continue to help to control these fires. Dave :)
View attachment 74987 View attachment 74988
Sad! Gatlinburg is a very popular vacation spot. Much of it is commercial and touristy, but the Smoky Mountain setting makes it worth visiting. It does have an interesting arts and crafts trail with all kinds of locally made products.

Most reactions

Latest posts