What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastern Tennessee - Knoxville - Atomic Bomb!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sad! Gatlinburg is a very popular vacation spot. Much of it is commercial and touristy, but the Smoky Mountain setting makes it worth visiting. It does have an interesting arts and crafts trail with all kinds of locally made products.

Well, I've been trying to keep up on the damage - quote below from HERE - pic of the resort - hard to believe that entire property was destroyed? I've not seen any news about the Christopher Place, where we stayed? Dave :)

Based on preliminary surveys, the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa in Gatlinburg "is likely entirely gone," the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency said in a news release. The agency had previously said it had reports that the Ober Gatlinburg amusement park and ski area had been destroyed as well, but later said resort officials had checked in and said the property was fine.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 3.44.13 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't this very late in the year for fires like this? I assume it's because of the extremely dry conditions.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Isn't this very late in the year for fires like this? I assume it's because of the extremely dry conditions.

For the area, the drought is the worst in at least 10 years (or more) - all is dry and combustible - plus, many of these fires may be arson-related - hard to say? Some discussion HERE - if so, really a much sadder situation. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge have been devastated by these high wind wild fires - downtown Gatlinburg remains much intact, but the adjacent areas have been spottily destroyed (see pics below) - the Aquarium and its 10,000+ animals appear completely safe - recovery will be long and difficult w/ hundreds of homes gone. This is a major tourist town at the northern entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (the most visited one in the USA), and the area a main contributor to the TN economy - hoping for the best and a quick restoration. Dave :)

National and local organizations are coming together to assist those impacted by the fires that forced the evacuation of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and left devastation in its path. Homes, businesses and popular tourist attractions have been destroyed in the blaze, which has left the area blanketed in a thick smoke. Three people have been taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center with burns from the wildfire; all are in critical condition. Thousands more are displaced as they wait until the evacuation is lifted (Source).
Gatlingburg_BurntHomes.png
Gatlingburg_Downtown.png
Gatlingburg_MoreBurntH.png
Gatlingburg_MoreFire.png
Gatlingburg_SingleHome.png
Gatlingburg_Westgate.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge have been devastated by these high wind wild fires - downtown Gatlingburg remains much intact, but the adjacent areas have been spottily destroyed (see pics below) - the Aquarium and its 10,000+ animals appear completely safe - recovery will be long and difficult w/ hundreds of homes gone. This is a major tourist town at the northern entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (the most visited one in the USA), and the area a main contributor to the TN economy - hoping for the best and a quick restoration. Dave :)

View attachment 74999 View attachment 75000 View attachment 75001 View attachment 75002 View attachment 75003 View attachment 75004
That's real devastation, with entire neighbourhoods destroyed. It looks like the main building of the resort is just about all that survived the fires.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Death Toll in the Gatlinburg Fires Now up to 10 and Likely Will Rise!

People still missing and searches continue - damage has been done, the extent still not determined - the Dolly Parton Foundation has pledged major monetary aid to those affected by the fires - we've already sent in a donation - check link, if interested. Below some more 'before & after' pics - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.34.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.40.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.40.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.41.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.41.46 PM.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aside from recovering from the loss of family members in the fires, there's the huge monetary cost of replacing the lost property and structures. I'm sure that not everything will be replaced, the cost would just be too great.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Aside from recovering from the loss of family members in the fires, there's the huge monetary cost of replacing the lost property and structures. I'm sure that not everything will be replaced, the cost would just be too great.

Well, Tennessee has plenty of great attractions (many covered in several of my travelogues - not sure that I've touched on Memphis yet?); but, the entry to the Great Smoky Mtns National Park from Gatlingburg is at the top of the list from this LINK (pic & quote below) - not sure how long the rebuilding will take but imagine that the results will be surprisingly well done - Dave :)

There's no better place to begin your Great Smoky Mountains National Park adventure than in the small town of Gatlinburg with its many big-ticket attractions such as the excellent Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies. From here, you can easily drive to the park's most popular areas or simply jump on the chairlift and head for the hills and the fun Ober Gatlinburg, a ski resort and amusement park offering year-round activities. Park highlights include a variety of flora and fauna, more than 900 miles of hiking trails, and the 6,643-foot-high Clingmans Dome, with its Observation Tower perched atop the mountain's summit and offering 360-degree views. Popular day trips include Sugarlands, a beautiful valley and favorite destination for hikers, and the lovely Cades Cove, once home to settlers and now attracting tourists eager to see its picturesque meadows, pioneer homesteads, mountain views, and wildlife.
Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 8.15.48 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Tennessee has plenty of great attractions (many covered in several of my travelogues - not sure that I've touched on Memphis yet?); but, the entry to the Great Smoky Mtns National Park from Gatlingburg is at the top of the list from this LINK (pic & quote below) - not sure how long the rebuilding will take but imagine that the results will be surprisingly well done - Dave :)

View attachment 75043
Have you been to any of the destroyed resorts? It'll be interesting to go back after they're rebuilt to see how they've succeeded.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you been to any of the destroyed resorts? It'll be interesting to go back after they're rebuilt to see how they've succeeded.

The Chapel was a popular wedding site that we've passed a number of times; we also looked at the Westgate Resort but never stayed - we'll probably give the area a few years to recover and then visit again - hope that all goes well (of course, drought relief needs to occur)? Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just found this. There's no need for any comment from me. The article makes the point.

Liquified aluminum rims dramatically display power of Tennessee wildfires

WOW - that's HOT! The photographer is an employee of the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, which I showed some 'before & after' pics - according to his FB page, some of the resort was untouched by the fires and rebuilding has already started. Eastern TN has a lot of resilient people and I suspect Gatlinburg will come back better than ever, will just take time and a LOT of $$! Dave :)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW - that's HOT! The photographer is an employee of the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, which I showed some 'before & after' pics - according to his FB page, some of the resort was untouched by the fires and rebuilding has already started. Eastern TN has a lot of resilient people and I suspect Gatlingburg will come back better than ever, will just take time and a LOT of $$! Dave :)
I just hope everybody in the area had adequate paid up fire insurance.

Most reactions

Latest posts