Florida Panhandle & Tallahassee

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, May 24, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Agree completely, the old Capitol building is beautiful and love the awnings on the windows - plus, now houses the Capitol Museum as linked in my previous post - not sure what would have been put in its place, maybe a parking lot - YUK!

The last time we encountered this was on my Lexington, Kentucky trip when the Mary Todd Lincoln house was also scheduled for demolition - glad that people exist in these communities to preserve these historic structures - in my town, a great example is the preservation of Old Salem founded in 1766 (250th year anniversary) and visited by George Washington on his tour when President (he stayed at Salem Tavern, still a restaurant) - just one pic below and could add many more! For those who may be visiting the Triad Area of North Carolina, a MUST visit. Dave :)
    448.jpeg

#41 giradman, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave-if
    It's been a long time since I been there. The last time was about 20 years ago, so I imagine that it's developed quite a bit. I remember our condo resort, Highland Resorts, being just across the beach. It was walking distance with pier access and all. The white sand beach was beautiful and the sunsets were amazing. I also remember going to Shell Island with my folks. Lots of memories, makes me want to dig up pictures we have of our time there! Thanks Dave, hope you are well! :)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Ski.... - Panama City Beach must have been a lot more 'laid back' and much less developed back then, and probably a more relaxing place to be - post some of your pics if you can find and scan any, if you like?

We did pass a number of piers, did not visit any, but your comments piqued my interest, so just a little more information. The two (of 4) most prominent piers are the Russell-Fields Pier & M.B. Miller Pier - the newest concrete ones constructed in 2009 & 2010 - assume that Ski.... was on the older wooden ones? Quoted below from the link given a general description of the piers and a more descriptive one of the M.B. Miller Pier; also a few pics of each pier - the fishing must be great at the ends of these long walkways. Dave :)

Russel-Fields-Pier.jpg 2011-05-05_213-1096x705.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    New Florida State Capitol

In the 1960s into the early '70s, there was a movement to move the state capital w/ Orlando being a major contender - in a ballot question, the voters decided to keep the capital in Tallahassee which was the impetus to build the 'new' capitol building - see first quote below (Source).

The new capitol complex consists of the 22 story central building and the adjacent domed-structures for the legislature bodies - only a handful of states in the USA have towered capitol buildings. The structure was completed in 1977 - more history below in the second quote (same Source). The state seal is not the current one but the seal from the time of the building's completion; the seal is "surrounded by five smaller seals representing the nations and kingdoms that exerted sovereignty over all or parts of Florida (France, Spain, Great Britain, the Confederate States of America, and the United States)." Also, "in 2003, the dolphin statue “Stormsong” by Tallahassee artist Hugh Nicholson was added within Waller Park’s Florida Heritage Fountain."

The pics below are all from the web (was a gloomy day w/ intermittent raining) and again I apologize for the watermarked stock images - best ones available. Dave :)

NewCapitol_A1.png NewCapitol_A2.png NewCapitol_A3.jpg NewCapitol_A4.png NewCapitol_B1.png NewCapitol_B2.png NewCapitol_B3.png NewCapitol_B4.png NewCapitol_B5.png NewCapitol_B6.png

5. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    A lovely afternoon, charming Southern gardens. Re. the photo Dave took of me: I look much thinner when I sit up straight!

6. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    He does drag me to many (too many??) forts, battlefields, state capitols, and historic houses. He is an avid history buff and can actually picture the soldiers, house owners, congressmen, etc. I, on the other hand, think that they all blur into one another. Seen one cannon, seen ‘em all. ;)

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, the one exception was back in 1973 when she was carrying our son, Stephen - third trimester pic below (and approved by Susan) - and at the end of that year (he was born in August), a pic of me w/ our son - BOY, I was 27 y/o then and much of my hair has disappeared and the remainder is gray! :) Dave
    IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0044.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Museum of Florida History

The Museum of Florida History is just a few blocks from the new state capitol (see previous maps & aerial views) - this museum like many others that I have visited is in chronological order starting w/ pre-history, covering the Native Americans, and going into post-Columbian times; then into a timely coverage of the American Revolution, statehood, Civil War, and the subsequent historic events.

A short but excellent video offers a good introduction - exhibits are varied from dioramas to full scale real/restored/reproduction objects. An excellent museum and a MUST visit in in the capital - pics below just a brief sampling - we spent a few hours, but worth a half day - highly recommended! Dave :)
    FLMH_1.png FLMH_2.png FLMH_3.png FLMH_4.png FLMH_5.png FLMH_6.png FLMH_7.png FLMH_8.png

9. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's interesting about the development of the piers. I cannot remember if it was wood or concrete back than, but based on the dates 1990's my guess it was wood. My dad and brother in law would fish quite a bit off the Pier and would also charter fish. Pier fishing was really good-catching red snapper, flounder and pompano. My dad also tried his had at crabbing, but no luck. I remember going down there during spring break once-it was jammed. Very popular with high schoolers and also with MTV!

When I get a chance to get over to my folks I will look for some pics to scan in. Thanks Dave for the drive down memory lane!

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Concerning the M.B. Miller Pier - appears that the old pier was also concrete but only 470 ft long vs. the current one @ 1,500 ft (see quote), similar to the current Russell-Fields Pier - not sure about the previous R-F Pier? However, I did find some neat YouTube videos of each pier, the second on the latter pier is more dramatic because a small drone is used to obtain the video. Dave :)