What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastern Tennessee - Knoxville - Atomic Bomb!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, Susan & I just returned from a 4-night trip to eastern Tennessee (TN) - we stayed in Knoxville (just over a 4 hour drive from home w/ Asheville half way in-between) - we have made at least 3 trips to this area which has some fascinating history & geography - in this travelogue, I'll try to convey why a visit here would be of interest - not sure how many posts I'll contribute but hope all will be of interest?

North Carolina & Tennessee (the latter derived from a Native American Cherokee name, Tanasi) extend from the Atlantic Ocean (Outer Banks) to the Mississippi River, a distance of nearly 1000 miles - below is a map showing the two states w/ arrows added to appropriate sites, i.e. Nags Head to Memphis, TN (the distance mentioned), and also Winston Salem (our home) to Knoxville, TN - the areas that I'll discuss will include the entire eastern portion of TN - the two main cities are Knoxville & Chattanooga near the Georgia border which I'll also discuss - SO, a lot more to describe and will take a number of posts - for those who may be able to visit this area, please ask some questions. Dave :)
cbsMap647x388.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
East Tennessee & Knoxville

East Tennessee's (TN) rugged mountainous region was once part of North Carolina (NC) and the western counties of NC and those of east TN because of cultural similarities and isolation attempted to form a separate state in the 1780s called Franklin, named after Benjamin Franklin - this was 'short-lived' but emphasizes the differences between this portion of TN and the rest of the state.

On the first map below, East TN is shown in red and is entirely w/i the Appalachian Mountains and is thus geographically and culturally part of Appalachia, which encompasses western NC and adjacent parts of Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, and northern Georgia. One important reflection of these cultural differences relates to its music (the book shown below is an excellent introduction) - the music the Eastern TN reflects that of Appalachia (string bands, bluegrass, mountain ballads & songs); centrally, country music and Nashville dominate; and on the Mississippi, Memphis is the home of blues & soul.

The second map below shows the Appalachian Mountains and TN Valley where Chattanooga is located in the south and Knoxville north centrally, which are the third & fourth largest cities in the state; in the far northeastern corner are the Tri-Cities (Kingsport, Bristol, & Johnson City). All of these cities and their environs have wonderful natural and man-made attractions, including the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which 'straddles' TN & NC w/ different entry points and attractions.

More on Knoxville in the next post - more detailed history of East TN HERE - Dave :)
Map_of_East_Tennessee_counties.png
East-tennessee-landforms.png
0879305339.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Knoxville, TN

Migration across the mountains from the east (e.g. Virginia & the Carolinas), especially after the American Revolutionary War, helped to populate this portion of TN - James White is considered the founder of Knoxville in 1786; his small stockaded fort is now a restored historic attraction (quote below from HERE).

In 1791, William Blount (1749-1800), a statesman, signer of the US Constitution, and land speculator, obtained a parcel of land near the White fort which became the start of Knoxville - the city was named after Henry Knox, who was the then Secretary of War on George Washington's cabinet, and also a general on Washington's staff in charge of artillery during the Revolutionary War. Blount became the territory governor and was instrumental in Tennessee's admission as the 16th state of the union in 1796. Knoxville was the first capital of TN and alternated until Nashville was chosen as the permanent location in 1826.

Blount built the first framed house west of the mountains, which served as his home and also his office - now known as the Blount Mansion - is now in a major restoration but can be visited by the public w/ an excellent guided tour. Dave :)

James White, The Founder of Knoxville, came here in the early 1780′s from North Carolina. He had fought in the Revolutionary War and was given a land grant of 1,000 acres for his service. He built his 2-story log house on the present site of Knoxville in 1786.
DSCN5718.JPG
blount-mansion-knoxville.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Knoxville, TN (continued)

Knoxville is the largest city in eastern TN w/ a population of about 180,000 (Chattanooga just below that number; my town, Winston-Salem is now at 230,000). The city is built along the Tennessee River (boat cruises w/ meals are available) and has a spectacular skyline when viewed from the Sunsphere (266 ft high) which was built for the 1982 World's Fair held there that year - first pics below show the skyline and the surrounding mountains which are not appreciated on the ground. Third pic by me of the Sunsphere from the Art Museum - elevator ride to the observatory deck is free (no drinks, food, nor gift shop - and does NOT rotate!).

We stayed at a small independent hotel called the Oliver near the renovated Market Square which is a block from Gay Street, one of the main downtown streets - the Square is full of restaurants & a small park - pics below the first three are mine. The KAT (Knoxville Area Transit) runs a 'free' trolley w/ 3 routes, 2 in the downtown and one going to the University of Tennessee campus (next post) passing a number of attractions. Our main activities in the city included a visit to the James White Fort, Blount Mansion, Eastern Tennessee Historical Museum, Knoxville Art Museum, Sunsphere, and the McClung Museum on the University campus.

On the way back from a seafood restaurant (w/ shockingly GREAT oysters of different kinds - went back the last night!) along Gay Street, we past one of those delightful mountain city music shops - Susan is a musician w/ several guitars, a piano, two harps, two dulcimers, etc.! BUT, she does not have a ukelele (which she played as a teenager) - SO, we bought one! (last pic below). Dave :)

knoxville.jpg
Downtown-Knoxville-Panoramic.jpg
KxV_Sunsphere.JPG
Kxville_Market2.JPG
Kxville_Market1.JPG
Kxville_Market4.JPG
Kxville_Market3.JPG
Ukelele.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your descriptions are interesting and informative. - As usual. :)

Thanks Johanna - I'm putting together posts from 3 trips to eastern TN, so have a 'handful' more to add! :)

For those who might be interested in Susan's new ukelele, it was one of those impulse buys - the instrument was $250 which I thought was fine for the quality construction and the sound, BUT I had no idea - well, the company has a website HERE, and I found a description w/ a MSRP of $340 (so we did get a good deal).

Screen capture below - the main wood is Koa from the Hawaiian Islands - quoted below a description of this wood from one experienced w/ a luthier's field (Source) - Dave :)

If there was another tonewood that does it all for me, and (dare I say) almost better than any other, it would have to be koa (Acacia koa).

Only found in, and native to the Hawaiian Islands, this beautiful, fast growing hardwood forest tree has an amazing history. It was prized by early settlers for canoe carving, being fairly light and buoyant, and it was “the” wood for the famous Ukulele craze in the teens and twenties. It wasn’t long before word got out (mostly after WWII), that fine crafted koa instruments were popping up all around the world.
Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 5.07.59 PM.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those who might be interested in Susan's new ukelele, it was one of those impulse buys - the instrument was $250 which I thought was fine for the quality construction and the sound, BUT I had no idea - well, the company has a website HERE, and I found a description w/ a MSRP of $340 (so we did get a good deal).

Screen capture below - the main wood is Koa from the Hawaiian Islands - quoted below a description of this wood from one experienced w/ a luthier's field (Source) - Dave :)

View attachment 60028

I have been trying to improve my technique with the guitar that Giradman bought me in Memphis a few years ago, so I wasn't in the market for a uke, but they're trendy now and awfully cute. I hope to be playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" ala Izzy the Hawaiian guy. Uke tuning is different from the guitar, so I will have some mental exercise in alternating between the two, but they say that mental workouts help the memory (I need all the help I can get.) ;)

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Knoxville, TN (continued)

Knoxville is the largest city in eastern TN w/ a population of about 180,000 (Chattanooga just below that number; my town, Winston-Salem is now at 230,000). The city is built along the Tennessee River (boat cruises w/ meals are available) and has a spectacular skyline when viewed from the Sunsphere (266 ft high) which was built for the 1982 World's Fair held there that year - first pics below show the skyline and the surrounding mountains which are not appreciated on the ground. Third pic by me of the Sunsphere from the Art Museum - elevator ride to the observatory deck is free (no drinks, food, nor gift shop - and does NOT rotate!).

We stayed at a small independent hotel called the Oliver near the renovated Market Square which is a block from Gay Street, one of the main downtown streets - the Square is full of restaurants & a small park - pics below the first three are mine. The KAT (Knoxville Area Transit) runs a 'free' trolley w/ 3 routes, 2 in the downtown and one going to the University of Tennessee campus (next post) passing a number of attractions. Our main activities in the city included a visit to the James White Fort, Blount Mansion, Eastern Tennessee Historical Museum, Knoxville Art Museum, Sunsphere, and the McClung Museum on the University campus.

On the way back from a seafood restaurant (w/ shockingly GREAT oysters of different kinds - went back the last night!) along Gay Street, we past one of those delightful mountain city music shops - Susan is a musician w/ several guitars, a piano, two harps, two dulcimers, etc.! BUT, she does not have a ukelele (which she played as a teenager) - SO, we bought one! (last pic below). Dave :)
I didn't expect to enjoy Knoxville as much as I did. Since the temp was in the 90s, the free trolley was a welcome surprise. I have to second Giradman's review of the food. Our oyster feasts are usually few and far between.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
East Tennessee & Knoxville

East Tennessee's (TN) rugged mountainous region was once part of North Carolina (NC) and the western counties of NC and those of east TN because of cultural similarities and isolation attempted to form a separate state in the 1780s called Franklin, named after Benjamin Franklin - this was 'short-lived' but emphasizes the differences between this portion of TN and the rest of the state.

On the first map below, East TN is shown in red and is entirely w/i the Appalachian Mountains and is thus geographically and culturally part of Appalachia, which encompasses western NC and adjacent parts of Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, and northern Georgia. One important reflection of these cultural differences relates to its music (the book shown below is an excellent introduction) - the music the Eastern TN reflects that of Appalachia (string bands, bluegrass, mountain ballads & songs); centrally, country music and Nashville dominate; and on the Mississippi, Memphis is the home of blues & soul.

The second map below shows the Appalachian Mountains and TN Valley where Chattanooga is located in the south and Knoxville north centrally, which are the third & fourth largest cities in the state; in the far northeastern corner are the Tri-Cities (Kingsport, Bristol, & Johnson City). All of these cities and their environs have wonderful natural and man-made attractions, including the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which 'straddles' TN & NC w/ different entry points and attractions.

More on Knoxville in the next post - more detailed history of East TN HERE - Dave :)
View attachment 59997 View attachment 59998 View attachment 59999
This is a scenic and historical area. I'm still a lover of the ocean but the mountains have their charm. We had planned an outing to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but rain was predicted and there was so much to do in Knoxville.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is turning out to be even more interesting than usual. Keep up the excellent posts.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really great photos in this "series" giradman and suenc. Knoxville is a beautiful little city, nicely illustrated/described by you. You've filled in gaps in info, well mine anyway:), about that part of America not seen as the usual tourist traps, much more attractive and "visitable" IMO. Your little culinary adventures in passing just add to the enjoyment here. Oysters? Oh Yesss!!
Andrew

Most reactions