What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Alabama, Shiloh Battlefield, & Nashville Tennessee!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you visit the Parthenon replica in Nashville?

Well, this was my 4th visit to Nashville and I've been to their Parthenon several times in the past - it is indeed a full scale reproduction of the original structure in Athens (which I've not visited unfortunately), and is included on the 'Greyhound City Tour' which I would strongly recommend to first time visitors just to get a good orientation of the city and its history. Pics below from the web and also a Wiki Article for those interested. Dave :)

P.S. be sure to click on those images which are most impressive!

Nashville_Parthenon_from_south.jpg athena.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did read the Wikepedia article and was impressed with the detail of the replica. The statue of Athena Parthenos is covered in over 8 pounds of gold leaf.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't know how much Helen Keller accomplished in her lifetime. She graduated from Radciiffe (Harvard), for starters.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shiloh Battlefield - day trip from Florence, AL back into TN near the Mississippi state line - I'm an USA Civil War buff and have been to nearly all of the major battlefields of this war, which started on April 12, 1861 at Fort Sumter in Charleston (South Carolina) harbor and lasted 4 years ending at Appomattox Court House in southern Virginia (about an hour and a half from our home) in the spring of 1865 where Robert E. Lee surrendered to U.S. Grant.

In early 1862, Grant captured Forts Henry and Donelson on the Tennessee (TN) & Cumberland rivers, respectively; he moved down the TN river to Pittsburgh Landing (pic below looking quite peaceful but a major area of activity in early April 1862 w/ gun ironclads, hospital boats, and other vessels); the battle started abruptly on April 6 when Albert Sidney Johnston's Confederates drove Grant's army back to the river; much of the activity centered around a small church called Shiloh (pic below of a reconstruction of the original), hence the name of the battle. Grant's army was soon reinforced by Buell's Army of Ohio.

On the second day (April 7, 1862), Grant w/ now superior forces drove the southerns from the field and recovered all lost ground from the day before. This was a 'shocking' battle for the country; more than 110,000 men fought on both sides, over 3000 were killed on the battlefield (many more died later of their wounds) - the dead were so concentrated in places that Grant stated that he could cross a field just stepping on the fallen men w/o touching the ground! AS Johnston lost his life from a bullet to his right leg and the South lost one of its best generals. Now, all knew that the war would be long, bloody, and with a major loss of life - in the end over 600,000 men died in this war (nothing in US history of wars even came close).

The visitor's center has an excellent 'new' film w/ CGI graphics of Union gunboats coming up the TN river to Pittsburgh Landing - Dave :)
View attachment 55566 View attachment 55567

You always learn something from Dave, the quintessential professor.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just so fascinating! I'm enjoying reading all about your travels Dave.

I'm amazed there's a replica of the Parthenon in Nashville of all places, I had never heard of it before!

Suenc......so agree, your husband is certainly the quintessential professor. ;)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just so fascinating! I'm enjoying reading all about your travels Dave.

I'm amazed there's a replica of the Parthenon in Nashville of all places, I had never heard of it before!

Suenc......so agree, your husband is certainly the quintessential professor. ;)

Hi Leelai - glad that you're enjoying this thread; just amazing where I live that w/i a car drive or a short plane trip, one can discover so much - love it myself! :)

And yes, I really miss my academic radiology career - nearly 40 years of teaching radiology residents & medical students, writing articles, book chapters, & editing about a dozen books, and speaking @ many national medical meetings, forums like this one (and several others) have been great substitutes to continue my teaching interest - so just hope that others enjoy - this has become one of my retirement interests - Dave :D

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Western Civil War Gunboats - a few posts back I mentioned Pittsburg Landing at the battle of Shiloh and posted a photo of some docked boats which were not gunboats that were used on the western campaign (i.e. Mississippi River and the major tributaries, such as the Ohio, Tennessee, & Cumberland Rivers). U.S. Grant in early 1862 captured Forts Henry & Donelson on the Tennessee & Cumberland Rivers (the latter runs through Nashville) - Nashville was evacuated by the Confederates; Grant then proceeded into southern Tennessee w/ his next major victory @ Shiloh (as already discussed) - he then concentrated on the last stronghold on the Mississippi, i.e. Vicksburg, MS - if captured, then the Federals would control the entire MAJOR river in the USA (this was called the Anaconda Plan conceived by Winfield Scott); New Orleans had already been captured - well Grant's goal was not achieved until July 4, 1863 (the day that Lee was retreating from the 3-day battle @ Gettysburg, PA).

NOW, I'm adding an extra post here for those who may be interested because the topic fascinates me - I briefly mentioned the use of 'ironclads' in a previous post, but the naval innovations that occurred in the American Civil War had profound influences on the history of the world on the oceans. The 'gunboats' created in this war had two major differences vs. wooden ships w/ sails: 1) Steam power was used, i.e. no sails; and 2) Iron plates were on their surfaces, impervious to a regular cannon balls. These western gunboats were designed by James Eads among others; of course, the most famous ironclad battle of the Civil War (i.e. Monitor & Merrimack in Hampton Roads, March 1862) occurred in Virginia - the MAIN point is that the use of these steam driven ironclad ships in early 1862 virtually ended the era of wooden ships w/ sails in war - it was a NEW way to fight on the sea! Below are just some pics from the web of the boats used in the western campaign - often called 'Turtles' due their low draft and lack of sails - Dave :)
USS_Mound_City_01.jpg Uss_Cairo_h61568.jpg USSCarondelet.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, let me continue to the last portion of this trip, i.e. our return from the Florence, AL area to Nashville, TN for the last two nights - now this is my 4th trip to the capital of the state of Tennessee, one of the largest cities in that state pretty much matched by population by Memphis on the MS River (yet another long thread!).

On our drive back, we enter the city and visited the Country Music Hall of Fame (HOF), which is now in downtown a block from Broadway - this is my first visit in this location (the old HOF was located on 'Music Row') (pic below of the new building) - this is a MAJOR site to see if you're in Nashville and a fan of Country Music (which includes a variety of genres, including 'Bluegrass Music') - for me, I could start one or more additional threads on this place and other related topics.

Now, I'm not going into the specifics unless some are interested - if so, then please post - Dave :)

Attachments

• Country_music_hall_of_fame2.jpg
    Country_music_hall_of_fame2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 566

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Enjoyed this whole travelogue section Dave, thanks. Your write up and those historic photos of the gunboats was particularly interesting.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Enjoyed this whole travelogue section Dave, thanks. Your write up and those historic photos of the gunboats was particularly interesting.

Hi Andrew - yes, the technological developments in warfare in the 19th century were amazing (guns, cannon, boats, and more!), unfortunately, the way men were handled marching into battle was from the previous century, i.e. lined up in rows just marching forward - the destructive power of these new weapons was just devastating and likely accounted for the human misery in deaths & injuries in this war (I cannot even imagine how many limbs were amputated but in reading this history there were PILES of arms & legs); of course, the next major encounter of new weapontry and outdated use of men attacking is WWI, another disaster accounting for so many useless deaths. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Country Music Hall of Fame - website HERE - just mentioned in one of my previous posts but deserves more discussion if you are interested in 'Country Music' - now, this is a complex topic which whole books have discussed - the beginnings go back into 1800s and before; origins seem to come from the Appalachian Mountain areas of Virginia (VA), the Carolinas, and Kentucky/Tennessee (TN) - the recording history virtually starts in Bristol, TN (on the border w/ VA) in 1927 when Ralph Peer of Victor Records was 'talent hunting' and recorded Jimmie Rodgers & the Carter Family - Rodgers was from Mississippi and integrated southern & black music into his performances; he was amazingly popular (and famous for his yodeling skills which to me can become annoying!) - the Carter Family (A.P., Sara & Maybelle all related by marriage) were from the southeastern VA mountains - Maybelle Carter created a guitar picking style imitated by many - her daughter June married Johnny Cash.

In the mid-1920s, the Grand Ole Opry (GOO) appeared and was broadcast on the WSM radio station out of Nashville - this was AM (i.e. long wavelength which could be heard for hundreds if not a thousand miles or so!). The Opry was broadcasted initially from the famous Ryman Audiotorium in downtown Nashville just off Broadway Street (now a rather tourist trap - crowded & bositerous, like Bourbon Street in New Orleans; but still having some historic sites, such as Tootsie's & the Ernest Tubb Record Shop - these are yet another post!). The GOO moved from downtown Nashville many years ago to Opry Land which is a visit itself - the Opry Performances occur there, a huge hotel is on the property, and many other attractions are available. Again, if you are visiting Nashville, then this is a MUST attraction (even if you do not like the music - a potential warning? ;)).

Now in the Country Music Hall of Fame (HOF) museum is a room dedicated to the hall of fame inductees w/ plaques of each one - these include not only performers but also producers and others (criteria are open) - the HOF started in 1961 w/ just 3 interring, i.e. Hank Williams (who had died in 1953 at the age of 29 y/o), Jimmie Rodgers (mentioned earlier), and Fred Rose (a record producer & song writer who 'polished up' many of Hanks wonderful hits). Since then dozens of Country Music artists have entered the HOF - a special place to visit.

Let me stop there because I could go on for many posts! Please post any questions and I'll be glad to offer an answer. Dave :)
84.jpg Carter_Family_1927.jpg 1008px-Rymanauditorium1.jpg Hank_Williams_Promotional_Photo.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nashville & Environs - hmmm, no interest in Country Music & Bluegrass - the latter is a genre of this music which emerged in the 1940s, popularized (if not 'invented' as a musical form) by Bill Monroe on the Opry @ the Ryman Auditorium; his late 40s band included Earl Scruggs (on the banjo w/ his 3-finger technique) & Lester Flatt (guitar), who together formed their own bluegrass group of fame. Monroe played the mandolin (his Gibson is on show @ the Hall of Fame along w/ many other valuable instruments of other historical performers) - he was from the state of Kentucky (the 'Bluegrass State'), hence the origin of the name for this 'string music' w/ or without vocals.

We stayed @ the Hermitage Hotel which is near the state capital buildings (beautiful capital shown below w/ tours offered); just across the street is the Tennessee State Museum, a must visit - three floors w/ a chronological history of the state, historic reconstructions, plenty of AV presentations, and many objects of interest - we just spent a few hours, but there certainly is a LOT to see, hear, read, etc. - just a couple of pics from the museum (musical instruments & dueling pistols, the latter an important part of gentleman behavior in the early 19th century).

Now, we just had one free day in Nashville and our afternoon activity will be described in my next post; however, there is plenty more to do and I'll just provide a potential list for those who may be visiting the area: 1) Broadway Street downtown (kind of like Bourbon Street in New Orleans) - sort of a tourist trap but some history there & plenty of music (e.g. Tootsie's & the Ernest Tubb Record Store); 2) City Tour (Greyhound bus) for orientation; 3) Opryland & Hotel - now home of the Grand Ole Opry; 4) Ft. Nashborough established in 1779 on the Cumberland River, i.e. the start of Nasville; 5) Music Row Studios; and 6) Bus tours of the surrounding communities - home of the past & present Country Music Stars - some beautiful homes and other surrounding activities. WELL, about coming to an end w/ this thread - have one more post to add - enjoy! Dave :)

Bill-Monroe-poster.jpg Tennessee-State-Capital.jpg Guitar.jpg 35150_nashville_tennessee_state_museum.jpg

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note the piano key design of the Hall of Fame building. I enjoy having my own private educational tours with giradman.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hermitage & Nashville Environs​ - well this will be my last informational post to this thread, which should be of interest to those who might want to visit this central Tennessee city. Nashville is surrounded by many residential communities which are popular bus tours - these mostly visit the homes of famous country music stars and also other related attractions - Greyhound provides the most options; some of the communities of interest are Hendersonville, Franklin, & Brentwood (see map below) - so a recommendation if you happen to be in the city, is to take a few bus tours, i.e. one of the town & another of one of the surrounding areas; plus, there are other Civil War sites to visit (such as Murfreesboro, i.e. Battle of Stones River).

NOW - a must visit in the area is to the Hermitage, about a 30 minute drive from downtown - the home of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), an American 'Original'! He was a teen in the Revolutionary War, a lawyer and statesman, an Indian fighter, a hero of the War of 1812 (Battle of New Orleans), and a 2-term President of the USA (7th after John Q. Adams) - his face is on our $20 bill. Jackson was born on the Carolina border (about 2 hrs from where I live in Piedmont, NC) in the Waxhaws district, both North & South Carolina claim him as their own (his exact place of birth is still not determined); he moved to Tennessee early in his life and married Rachel Donelson, whose father was the founder of Nashborough (that marriage is yet another post!). Interestingly, the two 'definite' North Carolina born Presidents (James Polk & Andrew Johnson) also moved to Tennessee early in their lives.

There is plenty to do on Andy's plantation - we took a wagon ride w/ a great guide discussing the slave quarters and the property (two huge Belgian horses) - house tour & a visit to the gift shop - plenty of other activities.
main.jpg hermitage2.jpg presidents_jackson_wide-23ffd951aa3c913117c02cb630f98977641b4e32-s6-c30.jpg andrew-jackson-20-dollar-bill-thinkstock.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts