What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken ipad 2 glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nobody is "paying more"? The prices haven't changed at all.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think each person should be responsible for his or her accidents and mistakes, and not others who have to pay more for Apple products because of these misfortunes.

So you think that Apple raises prices due to having great customer service in replacing accidents as a one time gesture?

I don't think so.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
So you think that Apple raises prices due to having great customer service in replacing accidents as a one time gesture?

I don't think so.

Ya... I knew I should have kept that part of it to myself. I don't mean to be negative or contrary, or in any manner incite a riot over my belief. But you know what it is, and I'm ok with the criticism.

The fact is that the cost of a free replacement iPad is coming out of SOME pocket. Whose? We've been reading a LOT of stories about these replacements just here on the board, so it's not just one or two. I'm sure the folks who have purchased an insurance plan to protect their iPads would be doing some thinking along these lines.

Everyone, be careful, and so will I.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bingoldsby said:
Ya... I knew I should have kept that part of it to myself. I don't mean to be negative or contrary, or in any manner incite a riot over my belief. But you know what it is, and I'm ok with the criticism.

The fact is that the cost of a free replacement iPad is coming out of SOME pocket. Whose? We've been reading a LOT of stories about these replacements just here on the board, so it's not just one or two. I'm sure the folks who have purchased an insurance plan to protect their iPads would be doing some thinking along these lines.

Everyone, be careful, and so will I.

I have some sympathy for your views however I would suggest that along with many commercial organisations Apple would have valued both risk and opportunity at an early stage, risk, in this case, would be returns so if they allowed a high percentage of returns then they would have covered this (bearing in mind that returns due to faulty components could probably be charged back to their suppliers) however, the amount of money put aside to cover this can become opportunity if the return rate is lower than allowed.

We are unlikely to ever know the rates that Apple allow on each product for risk and opportunity but the fact that they have a one time replacement scheme (albeit unofficial) suggests that they are within their risk limits. If they were approaching the risk limit then I am sure their attitude towards accidental damage would change........but I'm with you in saying, be careful people!

The Archangel

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the well-written and obviously intelligent comments. There's just so much I don't know about economics... and a whole bunch of other stuff. But I'm VERY blissfully ignorant.

Stoneyrok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broken glass iPad 2

Hi,
I feel hesitant to post this, but I dropped my ipad2 of 3 months purchased through my com pay, but I felt responsible. It was cracked on twoopposite corners as expected. I had a Dr. Willing to pay for the repairs, but then one morningncoming to work,i left it on top of my car, drove away, and heard two loud knocks but didn't realize it was my iPad for an hour or so. I rushed home andnfound it in the middle of the road, completely damaged. It looked pretty actually with the amount of shattered glass, like a diamond front. I called the 800 nu,ber and he said even if I was a super pissed off customer and was transferred to management, they could not do anything for free, perhaps something, but for a cost. I asked them to make me man appointment at the closet apple store, which they did. I asked them NOT to be on specific in what the problem was. Hen I arrived I explained I hadit for just over three months and it fell off the top of the truck. I went on to explain my position, which is IT manager for a tier in a research department and do a lot of buying andnthey could benefit ifi route POs through them. Kim said, regardless of the good talk, she would replace it because itnwas the right thing to do. The one they brought out ofmthe back was DOA and said it would ben2-3 days for a new one to arrive. I got a call it was in, q different employee helped and the place was packed with people. I am now telling the story. Don't call the 800#, just make an appointment, give a story, and see what happens. I am sure they don't do this for everyone, but they did give mema one time replacement for free which is awesome. Did I mention I whipped out my MacBook pro, ipad1, ipad2, and told them I was waiting for the iPhone 5 to be released, and showed them my shattered blackberry storm 2. I hated it, and that is true. Anyway, it's possible, give it a try, and it is completely up to the store. Just make them feelmlike they are making the right decision. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

lesfield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broke the screen and dented the back of my 3 week old iPad 2 yesterday by trapping in in a car door.... Don't ask! Anyway I took it to the apple store in London and told them the truth and they gave me a new one. In an out in 8 minuets. That may have cost apple a few bucks but the now have a customer who will defiantly purchase from them again, and again.

Stoneyrok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broke the screen and dented the back of my 3 week old iPad 2 yesterday by trapping in in a car door.... Don't ask! Anyway I took it to the apple store in London and told them the truth and they gave me a new one. In an out in 8 minuets. That may have cost apple a few bucks but the now have a customer who will defiantly purchase from them again, and again.

Cost.... They weren't shy or didn't try to hide the cost of these items. I have an iPad2, 64GB, and Verizon 3G and their replacement cost was 419.00. So, their markup is about 100% which is fair these days really. I've owned a business and you just can't survive paying taxes and all business dues unless you have a least this markup. Sure it's different for some businesses, but....

5thgradeteacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have a two hundred mile round trip to the nearest Apple Store! My husband bumped the corner of his Ipad with the remote control. He is so careful with his new Ipad, I can't believe this happened to him. Do you think it will be worthwhile? We used

all our cell minutes on " hold" with the Applestore today. Finally got through and got cut off! Any advice?

Kevinguinan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NOT ANYMORE. I just called Apple Support from my daughter's hospital room. We are waiting for a heart transplant and our ipad2 fell off a chair (maybe two feet) and the screen cracked. I was told sorry, but for 319 dollars it can be replaced. I know that apple tells buyers that they don't cover physical damage, but it seems these screens crack very easily and 319 dollars for cracked glass is a bit extreme. This is one Apple lifer who will be looking for a cheaper alternative. Sad day for us.

action99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you bought your ipad with a credit card it is probably covered through buyer protection.
it is a painful experience but they will pay

Sonogal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading all of these great cases of courtesy returns but mine did not go so well. I went in with my cracked iPad, Was honest about an accintal drop, she looked my serial # up, and said it would be $299 to replace. I was told they no longer do the replacements. Has anyone done this recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts