What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken ipad 2 glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I think she means, knowing her the way I do, that the way we decapitate flash threads ~ she wants us to decapitate these threads. Kathryn feels the way I do...such a sense of entitlement with these returns ~

Do I know you woman or what? :)

Yep!!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to see some of us hang on to our sense of humour/humor!

It is funny, no doubt about it. But I wish moderators etc. were as ruthless with this as they are with the F word (Sssh, Flash). I think this is far more damaging.

Ruthless in what way Kathryn?

Well, the second anybody mentions F....h, the thread is closed. I remember it was the first question I ever asked, and had it not been for SweetPoison, I wouldn't have stayed with the forum.

See? She loves me. :)

All joking aside ~ we have decided to revise our policy of the Flash Threads and you will see indications of that in the near future, Kat. These threads here too, we mixed in the discussions as well.

And I am awful glad you are still with us! You are one of our most prized members, Kay. Don't ever forget that.
smiley-hug008.gif

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
See? She loves me. :)

All joking aside ~ we have decided to revise our policy of the Flash Threads and you will see indications of that in the near future, Kat. These threads here too, we mixed in the discussions as well.

And I am awful glad you are still with us! You are one of our most prized members, Kay. Don't ever forget that.

Thank you. A small point, but the love may diminish if you shorten my name too often. Or my mother may haunt you. :) :)

Jolet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had mine for 5 months. When closing the Apple magnetic cover, it disengaged it self from the iPad and it fell about 4 inches shattering each corner. I live over 2.5 hours from an Apple store so I called Apple Support and they kept saying they were sorry but I would need to pay $419 for a replacement. I explained that I had already paid $828 just 5 months ago and that I was not going to pay more. I talked about the stores that were giving courtesy replacements. I was moved along from the initial customer service rep to a supervisor whose responses were quite lame. He actually told me that he couldn't really tell how damaged it was by not seeing it. I explained that I had an iPhone and could easily send him a photo for verification. We discussed how I used it for work and that 1200 people at my school were going to buy iPads since we were becoming an iPad school in 2012. He was neither impressed nor willing to help me out other than to ask for the replacement fee. I told him it was discriminatory for a store to be able to offer a courtesy replacement but not online for those of us who do not live near a store. Basically I talked rings around him, which was rather quite easy. I won't go into complete detail here since my conversations with the 2 reps lasted over 30 minutes. I have an iPhone and have dealt with customer service on numerous occasions because my battery kept draining in less than 1 day. I actually was sent a total of 2 new phones (one within 2 days of the expiration of my warranty) with no hassles. I even asked for just a battery but they insisted on sending me new phones. I finally told the supervisor that I was very frustrated with his response to me and that I was not only going to pass on the replacement, but that I would use duct tape, and I was going to also pass on the new 4S iPhone I had been planning to buy this week. He was rude, as well as unwilling to offer any suggestion other than paying the $419 for the replacement or taking my chances at a store. I have always at least been treated with respect by the customer service reps at Apple until today. I would suggest going to a store if you live near one as he did tell me it was the manager's discretion to replace or not and that he had heard stores routinely do this. The online support service goes by the book.

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I had mine for 5 months. When closing the Apple magnetic cover, it disengaged it self from the iPad and it fell about 4 inches shattering each corner".

How does that work then? Can't quite picture it.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

meanjeann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My 8 year-old daughter dropped my beloved iPad2 (for the second time!) today. The first time it just dented a corner (that was the day after I got it). She has strict rules about not being able to carry it around anymore. But, alas, today she was playing a game and dropped it on the ceramic tile at my parents house. The glass is all spider-webbed. It appears to be functional, but I had to walk away from the situation quickly so I didn't yell at my child about breaking 'stuff'. It's just 'stuff' after all, but I am completely devastated. We don't have a lot of money and this was something I saved for. I had a glimmer of hope reading the early posts to this thread, but the more recent ones have me worried. With that said, it is our fault and I have to agree that if the best Apple can do is replace it for $350 or $419 or whatever, I have to be happy with that.

Lesson learned - my 8 year old can only play with my iPad sitting on a carpeted floor. No exceptions!

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
meanjeann said:
Lesson learned - my 8 year old can only play with my iPad sitting on a carpeted floor. No exceptions!

Personally. I'd get her an iPod touch, then she has her own baby "iPad". And leave the big toys for mommy!

meanjeann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my daughter and my husband just called me from the Apple store. $419 to repair. He just there wasn't even any discussion or empathy (not that I expected any). So I guess the unspoken, unwritten policy of one free replacement is gone. :/ Bummer. Now wondering if all these non-Apple places that claim they can fix the glass for $125 are valid?? Does anyone know? $125 is a lot better than $419...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
8nobody8 said:
Personally. I'd get her an iPod touch, then she has her own baby "iPad". And leave the big toys for mommy!

It would be off limits period if I had a kid. iPod touch is expensive too. "when you are grown like mommy with your own job then you can buy your own iPad or whatever is out by then". But that's just me... ;)

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
meanjeann said:
For what it's worth, my daughter and my husband just called me from the Apple store. $419 to repair. He just there wasn't even any discussion or empathy (not that I expected any). So I guess the unspoken, unwritten policy of one free replacement is gone. :/ Bummer. Now wondering if all these non-Apple places that claim they can fix the glass for $125 are valid?? Does anyone know? $125 is a lot better than $419...

Authorized Apple service stores can often make repairs for less, sometimes a lot less than Apple itself. It would certainly be worth investigating. Be sure they are authorized...they'll have the certification to show you.

FWIW, here's how it's done...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dloftin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poor service and no free replacement at king of Prussia apple store

Because of these posts indicating a one time free replacement of broken glass on ipad2, I went to the king of Prussia, pa store, hoping for the same. I was refused a free replacement of glass (after waiting 20 minutes even though I had an appointment). After being refused the one time replacement, I was also told that the iPad could not be repaired, which I know is untrue, because people get them repaired all the time! I was "offered" a new iPad for $500. No THANKS! I will spend $100 and send it away for repair. Beware, if you go to the king of Prussia Apple store, that you will be required to have an appointment, will still have to wait to be assisted, and will be refused the one time free repair, and will be lied to and told that an ipad2 can't be repaired!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts