1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Broken ipad 2 glass

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jackie1985, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie1985

Jackie1985 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everybody,

I just got my new apple ipad 2, i only have it 1 week and i dropped it down the stairs......
    My touchscreen is still working but the glass is broken for about 30%....
    Does anybody know how to fix this? I'm not english, i hope this can go through my normal insurance?
    I dont have a seperate insurance for my apple, but i only got my apple for two weeks orso....
    Help is appreciated...
  2. AppleNut

AppleNut iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been hearing Apple is doing a one time courtesy replacement. Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Yes - as the previous poster commented - we have had several reports from members that Apple has been unofficially offering a one-time only courtesy replacement for broken glass, where it can be ascertained that the breakage was due to unfortunate circumstances. It's not official, but it can't help to try.

Tim
  4. Trainwire

Trainwire iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is true that Apple will replace a unit even for accidental damage. Two days ago I dropped my new ipad 2, and was devastated. Yesterday I was in New York City so I went to the Apple store on 5th Ave. They gave me a New replacement at absolutely no charge! I am so grateful. But also scared to death it could happen again. I wanted to buy a case like the otter case I have for my iPhone 4 but Apple doesn't sell any type of case. Can anyone give me a link to check out ipad 2 cases and also what about any insurance companies for high end electronics?
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Have a look here

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/24080-ipad-2-cases.html

Tim
  6. Trainwire

Trainwire iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Tim
  7. handrefreitas

handrefreitas iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, would sell only the glass in New York? I need to bring a friend whose son dropped on the floor and broke the glass. We live in Brazil.
  8. ricka

ricka iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. The unwritten "one time only accident replacement" policy existed for me today!

I live in Tampa. My son dropped our 4 week old iPad 2 and broke the glass. I took it to the Apple Store in Brandon this morning. I was very quickly advised it would normally be a $269 repair but I was given a "one time courtesy" replacement for free.

I told him I had a problem, my son dropped it and asked "What do you think it the best way to handle it?" - spoke for 30 seconds.... then, I just sat there surfing the 'net on a nice new MacBook while he made it all better.

I walked in @ 10:45AM and was walking out with a brand new replacement by 11:05. No charge although there certainly could have been. The most wonderful service I've had - maybe ever - simply AWESOME company and customer service.

BTW: It didn't seem to matter where the iPad came from as the genius told me it would be replaced without checking serial number or anything that would have indicated the store the sold it to me. Also, mine was still working but once again - that didn't even get checked until after we discussed the one time replacement.
  9. skjlrand

skjlrand iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fabulous customer service

I've had my ipad2 for 3 weeks. It fell out of my car onto pavement and cracked the glass in the lower right corner. Just as previous post, I took it to apple store and within 15 minutes was walking out with a new iPad...no charge. I think I will have to pay $350 if it happens again, but this is awesome service. Thanks Apple for confirming why I give you my business.
  10. cbb

cbb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dropped my iPad2. The glass broke. I walked into the Apple Store in Broomfield, CO. I got an appointment with the Genius Bar in 30 minutes. They replaced my unit at no charge. I was out of the store in less that one hour. Fantastic response.
  11. Lizzysipad

Lizzysipad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My friend dropped her iPod on my iPad and the glass cracked- ive had it for about a month and a half, will they still replace it for free?
  12. sparkythebobdog

sparkythebobdog iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will they still replace the iPad even if you didn't get it at an Apple store? I got mine from Target, so...
  13. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    The non-warranty screen replacement policy of Apple for the iPad is an entirely unacknowledged, one-time-only, unofficial, courtesy policy that they'll deny if asked. Many of the Apple Store staff don't know about it. But almost all Members have found that, if you go in and very politely, very humbly, explain the situation you'll find you will be offered a new iPad in exchange. Sometimes you have to ask to see a Manager - nicely! Sometimes, very occasionally, you might need to find another Apple Store. But we've yet to hear of a case of a continued refusal. But, remember, it's not a right. Apple have no obligation here if it's a non-warranty claim. They do it because they realise a happy customer is a returning customer who will spread the word about Apple and that, in the end, they'll get 'their' reward.

Tim
  14. juntar

juntar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good to hear that Apple is doing this customer-friendly gesture. It would be appreciated by the consuming public if other manufacturers will follow Apple's footsteps.:)
  15. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    While I surely hope and pray that I don't have an accident with my iPad or iPhone, it does come to mind that all this friendly gesturing on the part of Apple is only increasing the cost of these units for all the rest of the Apple purchasing customers. Perhaps that's an unfriendly view of the whole thing, but personally, I think each person should be responsible for his or her accidents and mistakes, and not others who have to pay more for Apple products because of these misfortunes.

On the other hand, I guess I've had it a little easier than many and can afford to fix my own foibles.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF
  16. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Nobody is "paying more"? The prices haven't changed at all.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  17. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    So you think that Apple raises prices due to having great customer service in replacing accidents as a one time gesture?

I don't think so.
  18. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Ya... I knew I should have kept that part of it to myself. I don't mean to be negative or contrary, or in any manner incite a riot over my belief. But you know what it is, and I'm ok with the criticism.

The fact is that the cost of a free replacement iPad is coming out of SOME pocket. Whose? We've been reading a LOT of stories about these replacements just here on the board, so it's not just one or two. I'm sure the folks who have purchased an insurance plan to protect their iPads would be doing some thinking along these lines.

Everyone, be careful, and so will I.

19. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I have some sympathy for your views however I would suggest that along with many commercial organisations Apple would have valued both risk and opportunity at an early stage, risk, in this case, would be returns so if they allowed a high percentage of returns then they would have covered this (bearing in mind that returns due to faulty components could probably be charged back to their suppliers) however, the amount of money put aside to cover this can become opportunity if the return rate is lower than allowed.

We are unlikely to ever know the rates that Apple allow on each product for risk and opportunity but the fact that they have a one time replacement scheme (albeit unofficial) suggests that they are within their risk limits. If they were approaching the risk limit then I am sure their attitude towards accidental damage would change........but I'm with you in saying, be careful people!

The Archangel
  20. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks for the well-written and obviously intelligent comments. There's just so much I don't know about economics... and a whole bunch of other stuff. But I'm VERY blissfully ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.