What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AppleTV?

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My son in-law has the old version Apple TV. I'm going to buy the new version when it comes out. For $99 why not, I don't have a problem with streaming as I never turn anything off anyway. Isn't streaming where everything's going anyway?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On that aspect it is good, but the turnabout on that is you ALWAYS have to have the computer on to pull your files from. That kinda sucks. ;)

I currently have an old laptop acting like a NAS for AirVideo anyhow.. So no real difference to me. :)

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
On that aspect it is good, but the turnabout on that is you ALWAYS have to have the computer on to pull your files from. That kinda sucks. ;)

I currently have an old laptop acting like a NAS for AirVideo anyhow.. So no real difference to me. :)

Fine, be that way then. LOL

If you're currently streaming, that definitely makes sense.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think many folks are missing the point of the new Apple TV. The idea is not to have storage at all, but to stream everything from the web. Netflix, Apple's web content, etc.

Apple figures the average consumer just wants to rent movies and TV shows, not bother with having storage for all of it. Content in the cloud, that's the plan.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think many folks are missing the point of the new Apple TV. The idea is not to have storage at all, but to stream everything from the web. Netflix, Apple's web content, etc.

Apple figures the average consumer just wants to rent movies and TV shows, not bother with having storage for all of it. Content in the cloud, that's the plan.

This is exactly what I want! "everything from Neflix to Apple to TV"

Is it really that simple?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is that it does not do Hulu and other web content. The main idea is that at $99 it will be attractive to the general public. Considering that my remote was more than that, not to mention my EyeTVs, you cannot say the price is outrageous. Many people will not worry about the 720 limitation. It has a lot of possibilities, but I will not be an early adopter. At least not until I do a complete redesign of my entertainment system.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

BINGO! I myself will grab one when they come out. It is the perfect companion to the iPad IMHO. Just press a button and your stuff is on the TV. Apple told me that it uses iPad/iPod DIRECT communication which means that it can choose to not use a router at all and just grab it from your iDevice.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AirPlay
Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.

There you go Marie .... Just for you but not until November all part of the next major software upgrade for iPad. No storage required on apple tv. Just wifi connection

Col.Bris

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BINGO! I myself will grab one when they come out. It is the perfect companion to the iPad IMHO. Just press a button and your stuff is on the TV. Apple told me that it uses iPad/iPod DIRECT communication which means that it can choose to not use a router at all and just grab it from your iDevice.

So ~ when I get the Apple TV, I just hook it up to my TV and go to NF and streamline a movie?

I don't need to use my router for WiFi because the Apple TV has WiFi?

Am I getting this?:eek:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPlay
Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.

There you go Marie .... Just for you but not until November all part of the next major software upgrade for iPad. No storage required on apple tv. Just wifi connection

Col.Bris

Thanks, Col.:)

So I DO need to hook it up to my wireless network? Tell me ~ do you think there will be a waiting list or/and hard to come by in Nov?

Most reactions

Latest posts