What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of elementary questions from a new user

leicaguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to ipad, been a PC user for 20 years. There a a couple of questions I have that I am sure will seem quite elementry for most of you but I can't seem to find specific reference to these questions anywhere.

1) when you open an app does it stay open for ever?? I see no way to close an app (such as the "x" in the upper right on a PC).

2) whenever I power up my ipad I have to go into settings and reconnect to my home wifi every time. why does it not automatically connect when I start the iPad?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to ipad, been a PC user for 20 years. There a a couple of questions I have that I am sure will seem quite elementry for most of you but I can't seem to find specific reference to these questions anywhere.

1) when you open an app does it stay open for ever?? I see no way to close an app (such as the "x" in the upper right on a PC).

2) whenever I power up my ipad I have to go into settings and reconnect to my home wifi every time. why does it not automatically connect when I start the iPad?

In general, apps do not need to be closed. If you want to close them, or if your iPad starts to act strange due to low memory, you can close recently used apps in the following manner.

4 finger swipe up the screen to reveal the multitask bar

Long press on any app until a red minus sign appears

Touch the minus sign on any app you want to close (what you are doing here is removing it from memory and forcing it to start from the beginning instead of from where it was suspended).

Swipe down the screen to return to normal.

As far as your wifi is concerned, you may find it a bit more reliable if you reboot your router. You could check Settings/Wi-Fi and make sure Ask To Join Networks is turned off. That way, known networks should be joined automatically.

Most reactions