What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of questions for iPad development

badnewsbeers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just had a couple of quick questions on iPad development. A friend has approached me about designing an app for him, but he has a few ideas that I don't think will work. The background is that he is developing an idea for specific use within an industry, and this app's entire audience will be two large companies. As such, it's more than just a basic app. Here goes:

1. Is there any way of modifying the apple home screen (ie step outside of the app and have control over the entire iPad)? He would like to basically take over the OS and replace it with something else.

2. Is there any decent way, aside from through itunes. of synching an app with another database server? Basically, this concept will need a hub application on a PC distributing data that the iPad will pick up for its use.

3. Is there any way to distribute apps aside from the Appstore? Again, this idea would be very proprietary, and not intended for the general public. Is there any way to restrict access?

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm (obviously) not horribly familiar with iPad development, and I think I can safely assume the answers to these questions, but I had to ask anyway.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is an enterprise development license that let's you distribute Apps without using the App store. Your client companies would have to apply though. Individuals do not qualify.

I'm not sure what you mean by "take over" the iPad, but you cannot stop a user from switching out of your app to another one. iOS is not replaceable with an alternative OS.

You can connect to an external database using any method you want from within your app. Going through iTunes would hot be required.

-t

OP
B

badnewsbeers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your reply.

With regards to the first point then, is there any way to lock out features of iOS? For example, in an industrial setting it would be inappropriate to download games. I realize this is beyond the scope of an App, but we (as a company) would have complete control over the iPad itself.

Thanks in advance.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can stop any app from being installed, but not select genres.

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts