Couple questions on new iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by David T., Nov 24, 2013.

1. David T.

David T. iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey folks,

Couple questions on new Air...

My Air only wants to charge to 99%. The first two times I've charged it, I've cycled it completely down until it has shut off, and then let it charge overnight. Still only goes to 99%? Am I doing something wrong?

My other question is on the App Store (didn't want to start a whole new thread). Does the App store make you sign in with your password each time you download an app (even a free one)? I've left the App Store running in the background, and it still makes me enter my password just about every time we download?????

TIA
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,849 / 1
    Yes, you have to enter your Apple ID and password whenever you download an app from the AppStore, free or not. It's an Apple security measure to ensure that the downloaded apps are authorized by the owner of the Apple ID the device is registered to.

You don't, however, have to enter your Apple ID and password if you are downloading previously purchased apps.
  3. David T.

David T. iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks!

I think I also solved the battery charging only to 99% issue too. It seems when I shut the iPad down completely (instead of standby), it went to 100%. I downloaded Battery HD+ to monitor it better.
  4. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    David, I wouldn't let the battery drain completely down too often. Once in a while is OK but doing it over and over could affect battery longevity. You"re fine, just mentioning it. Apple does recommended letting it go all the way down occasionally to make sure the meter is accurate.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Elux72

Elux72 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I've had the same thing with my Air. The only way the indicator would show 100% after being fully charged is when it was powered off and on again. However, the last two times I charged it, it correctly displayed 100%. It has drained completely once already, and I'll continue to do that occasionally. As the battery life is just as advertised and mostly even better, I'm not going to worry about it. My phone does the same occasionally. I haven't had this occur with the Mini, though.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. David T.

David T. iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    s2mikey,

Yea, I don't plan on doing it often. However, I've read that is good to do the first time or two you use it to calibrate (or whatever it is called) the battery and the chip that controls it... or something like that. :)
  7. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    By all means, sounds like a plan to me :)
  8. Pwilkins

Pwilkins iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ​I would also add that the entering of your Apple ID seems to have a "window" of maybe 10 minutes, where you can add several apps or purchases on iTunes before you have to enter it again.
  9. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    Yeah, that seems about right. For the most part if you want to purchase an app or a song you will have to verify your credentials. At least updated just happen now though, I used to hate having to enter them for those!
  10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    That's why we need touch ID! Sadly, it will be at least two years before I see it on an iPad, as I am NOT buying an Apple tablet in 2014. In fact, I think it a worthwhile challenge to see how many years I can get out of my devices. Besides touch ID, what more could I need in a tablet from apple?
  11. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    Yeah, that would be the best solution, wouldn't it? No more typing that pesky password. Count me IN!
  12. caledonia

caledonia iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would like to see pulse notification light as on my Nexus devices which alerts you to the arrival of new messages, etc.
  13. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I'd like touch ID and more RAM. I notice that my iPad Air crashes more often new than any other iPad I've owned. I'm using it exactly the same as I've used my other iPads. The latest firmware looks to be overtaxing iPad's RAM now.

I gave away my iPad 4, and was thinking about buying a second iPad Air to replace it, because I usually like to have two interchangeable iPads so that I can switch between them while charging. But given the crashes, I will hold off to see whether the next iPad model comes with more RAM. Actually, given this performance, I might not buy any new iPad until RAM is boosted.
  14. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I just mentioned in another post that I'm not sure RAM is the problem. iOS7 probably needs to be better optimized. My Nexus tablets both have 2 GB of ram and I'm still having problems with them....even after the update to Kitkat. I think iOS7 got rushed out the door as they fired the previous iOS boss before Jony Ive took over.
  15. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    You must not get a lot of email if you are saying this. :) That friggin pulse light gets on my nerves...and I have two Nexus tablets and one doesn't even know when the same mail is read on the other tablet, so I have to response to both. I need to disable the damn pulse...but I only check gmail on my Nexus tablets and I get way less mail on that account.
  16. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I agree that iOS 7 needs optimizing. But it needs optimizing because it's already stretching the boundaries of the hardware.

It's sort of like saying you can better organize your stuff and fit into a tightish house, or you can get a slightly bigger house and not scramble to stay as organized all the time. Ideally, you'd stay organized and still have a bit of extra space to spread out, because you're going to keep adding more stuff.
  17. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I see no real proof of that statement. It might be true, but so far I don't think *we* have enough info. I think after several months, if the crashes still come after some updates, then it will be evident.
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Agree that I wouldn't run off to make my case in court, lol. I'm going by what we've seen performance-wise in previous models and firmware problems. Despite all the increased demands of firmware, apps and images on iPad, we've seen no RAM added since iPad 2, three generations ago. I'd expect a RAM upgrade sooner than later. But we'll see, of course.

As I was responding to your post, my Safari crashed yet again. Annoying as hell.
  19. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I'm not going to say that I don't want to see more RAM as we know that more RAM usually works out to better performance one way or another...and indeed, by going to 64-bit OS, Apple is begging the question for more RAM...as the greater bit space means more RAM is addressable....so frankly, it should have been included with the Air and mini 2. I guess this is why people say Apple plans to make their previous models obsolete...I'd be willing to bet money that we see 2GB RAM in the 2014 versions. But in the meantime....we need an iOS that is really optimized for performance and one that frees unused memory better than what we have right now. I think there is significant room for improvement there and we really want this before they go adding more RAM...because, I promise you, a crappy OS will make more RAM seem like it is still not enough.

BTW, I use this one app, Magic Piano....which is really not a demanding an app compared to almost any game...yet this app can drag down my mini 2 (which is blazingly fast in well written apps)....that is an example of poorly written app...and it has been this way since iOS 5, through iOS 6, and ran poorly on my iPad 3 and mini, and now the mini 2 under iOS7.
  20. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Yes, we're agreed.