What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple questions on new iPad Air

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just mentioned in another post that I'm not sure RAM is the problem. iOS7 probably needs to be better optimized. My Nexus tablets both have 2 GB of ram and I'm still having problems with them....even after the update to Kitkat. I think iOS7 got rushed out the door as they fired the previous iOS boss before Jony Ive took over.

I agree that iOS 7 needs optimizing. But it needs optimizing because it's already stretching the boundaries of the hardware.

It's sort of like saying you can better organize your stuff and fit into a tightish house, or you can get a slightly bigger house and not scramble to stay as organized all the time. Ideally, you'd stay organized and still have a bit of extra space to spread out, because you're going to keep adding more stuff.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that iOS 7 needs optimizing. But it needs optimizing because it's already stretching the boundaries of the hardware.

It's sort of like saying you can better organize your stuff and fit into a tightish house, or you can get a slightly bigger house and not scramble to stay as organized all the time. Ideally, you'd stay organized and still have a bit of extra space to spread out, because you're going to keep adding more stuff.

I see no real proof of that statement. It might be true, but so far I don't think *we* have enough info. I think after several months, if the crashes still come after some updates, then it will be evident.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see no real proof of that statement. It might be true, but so far I don't think *we* have enough info. I think after several months, if the crashes still come after some updates, then it will be evident.

Agree that I wouldn't run off to make my case in court, lol. I'm going by what we've seen performance-wise in previous models and firmware problems. Despite all the increased demands of firmware, apps and images on iPad, we've seen no RAM added since iPad 2, three generations ago. I'd expect a RAM upgrade sooner than later. But we'll see, of course.

As I was responding to your post, my Safari crashed yet again. Annoying as hell.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree that I wouldn't run off to make my case in court, lol. I'm going by what we've seen performance-wise in previous models and firmware problems. Despite all the increased demands of firmware, apps and images on iPad, we've seen no RAM added since iPad 2, three generations ago. I'd expect a RAM upgrade sooner than later. But we'll see, of course.

As I was responding to your post, my Safari crashed yet again. Annoying as hell.

I'm not going to say that I don't want to see more RAM as we know that more RAM usually works out to better performance one way or another...and indeed, by going to 64-bit OS, Apple is begging the question for more RAM...as the greater bit space means more RAM is addressable....so frankly, it should have been included with the Air and mini 2. I guess this is why people say Apple plans to make their previous models obsolete...I'd be willing to bet money that we see 2GB RAM in the 2014 versions. But in the meantime....we need an iOS that is really optimized for performance and one that frees unused memory better than what we have right now. I think there is significant room for improvement there and we really want this before they go adding more RAM...because, I promise you, a crappy OS will make more RAM seem like it is still not enough.

BTW, I use this one app, Magic Piano....which is really not a demanding an app compared to almost any game...yet this app can drag down my mini 2 (which is blazingly fast in well written apps)....that is an example of poorly written app...and it has been this way since iOS 5, through iOS 6, and ran poorly on my iPad 3 and mini, and now the mini 2 under iOS7.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not going to say that I don't want to see more RAM as we know that more RAM usually works out to better performance one way or another...and indeed, by going to 64-bit OS, Apple is begging the question for more RAM...as the greater bit space means more RAM is addressable....so frankly, it should have been included with the Air and mini 2. I guess this is why people say Apple plans to make their previous models obsolete...I'd be willing to bet money that we see 2GB RAM in the 2014 versions. But in the meantime....we need an iOS that is really optimized for performance and one that frees unused memory better than what we have right now. I think there is significant room for improvement there and we really want this before they go adding more RAM...because, I promise you, a crappy OS will make more RAM seem like it is still not enough.

BTW, I use this one app, Magic Piano....which is really not a demanding an app compared to almost any game...yet this app can drag down my mini 2 (which is blazingly fast in well written apps)....that is an example of poorly written app...and it has been this way since iOS 5, through iOS 6, and ran poorly on my iPad 3 and mini, and now the mini 2 under iOS7.

Yes, we're agreed.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it's a matter of optimized IOS or RAM then, why does IOS 7 run crash-less on my old ipad2?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it's a matter of optimized IOS or RAM then, why does IOS 7 run crash-less on my old ipad2?

What is the "it" to which you refer? I think Safari is buggy...and I think I get fewer crashes than many folks here do on my devices. You might be using your iPad 2 less than something else....or in different ways.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the "it" to which you refer? I think Safari is buggy...and I think I get fewer crashes than many folks here do on my devices. You might be using your iPad 2 less than something else....or in different ways.
Well, my "old";) iPad3 has run beautifully with no crashes at all on iOS7.. or earlier for that matter, so those problems with the Air are really puzzling. Maybe it's Safari not getting along with the 64 bit architecture or the speed? But yeah, if it is the new 64 bit setup not happy with the RAM, and 2 Gig could appear next year, I could be in for a change of iPads then.
Andrew

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, my "old";) iPad3 has run beautifully with no crashes at all on iOS7.. or earlier for that matter, so those problems with the Air are really puzzling. Maybe it's Safari not getting along with the 64 bit architecture or the speed? But yeah, if it is the new 64 bit setup not happy with the RAM, and 2 Gig could appear next year, I could be in for a change of iPads then. Andrew
I still believe its a combination of safari and iOS 7. Although, why are some of us, like me not experiencing any issues at all? Are we not hitting the right websites? And why aren't graphically heavy games and large apps crashing? If it was just RAM then every app would be crashing...right? Maybe not. Either way, apple has to tend to this matter. It's obviously not just people whining. ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still believe its a combination of safari and iOS 7. Although, why are some of us, like me not experiencing any issues at all? Are we not hitting the right websites? And why aren't graphically heavy games and large apps crashing? If it was just RAM then every app would be crashing...right? Maybe not. Either way, apple has to tend to this matter. It's obviously not just people whining. ;)

I agree. Something is wrong....I don't get many crashes on my Mini 2, but I get some. Goodreader is crashy after going to iOS7 on all my devices where it was not before iOS7. I got a Safari crash on that 9-to-5 website, but otherwise, on the pages I frequent, I don't get a lot of crashes. I'm sure when you take a lot of folks in group, then the number of sites goes up really fast, thus the result must be real. Also, we have a lot of members here, so complaints that show up here a LOT must be indicative of what's happening in the overall community. It's not like this is just a tiny group of frequent posters.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. Something is wrong....I don't get many crashes on my Mini 2, but I get some. Goodreader is crashy after going to iOS7 on all my devices where it was not before iOS7. I got a Safari crash on that 9-to-5 website, but otherwise, on the pages I frequent, I don't get a lot of crashes. I'm sure when you take a lot of folks in group, then the number of sites goes up really fast, thus the result must be real. Also, we have a lot of members here, so complaints that show up here a LOT must be indicative of what's happening in the overall community. It's not like this is just a tiny group of frequent posters.

Absolutely. So something has to be addressed here, just not sure what! They can't recall everyone's iPad Air and add RAM so it's gonna have to be on the software end of things.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...cut....Goodreader is crashy after going to iOS7 on all my devices where it was not before iOS7. .

I think it is the Goodreader's developers who have problems with their IOS 7 upgrade. Hopefully they will find the problem and offer an update soon as it used to be one of my most used apps for organization, etc.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it is the Goodreader's developers who have problems with their IOS 7 upgrade. Hopefully they will find the problem and offer an update soon as it used to be one of my most used apps for organization, etc.

I don't think I've seen many updates from them since iOS7 hit. I have sent many crash reports to them. I'm thinking of trying PDFExpert now, though.

Edit: Just checked in the app store...last update was Sept 16. However, they are promising a "full-scale" major update with a new design, ANY DAY NOW. :)

I take this to me they aren't trying to fix the bugs in this version (anymore) because they are working on the full-scale overhaul. As long as they don't charge for it, then I'm ok with that. Reading the comments on PDF Expert, it seems they charged for their massive update and some folks are unhappy about that.

Last edited:

Blackdog17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi..can i print my screen with my apll ipad air...?? Is any way to do that ??? Do anyone knows..?

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I guess I meant- If the crashes are a matter of, lac of optimized IOS or RAM then, why does IOS 7 run crash-less on my old ipad2?

I agree that I probably am using my iPad differently than those with the crash problems. I'm not a heavy safari user.

Most reactions

Latest posts