What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with 'strange' sound question

foxyloxy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of an ipad retina. Never used apple devices before and quite a novice anyway, but have got an android smartphone. A useful feature on this is the notification sound for an incoming email. I know it's probably a strange question as it seems most people want to silence the sound but I find it useful when the phone is in 'standby' to have a discreet beep to inform me of an awaited email. On the new ipad I can't find anywhere where I can have the sound switched on when the pad is asleep or with the lid closed. It only sound when I open the mail app. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of an ipad retina. Never used apple devices before and quite a novice anyway, but have got an android smartphone. A useful feature on this is the notification sound for an incoming email. I know it's probably a strange question as it seems most people want to silence the sound but I find it useful when the phone is in 'standby' to have a discreet beep to inform me of an awaited email. On the new ipad I can't find anywhere where I can have the sound switched on when the pad is asleep or with the lid closed. It only sound when I open the mail app. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks

That can be done in Settings - Notifications. Scroll to Mail, tap it and tap your mail account. Then you see this:

image-2697619622.jpg

Here you may choose whatever you prefer.

Last edited:
OP
F

foxyloxy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been there several times and as far as I can see everything is set to make a sound. This it does when I open up my mail. However what I am hoping to achieve is an alert to sound when the mailbox is not 'open' and the ipad is in sleep mode. Can't see where this can be switched on

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Settings - Do Not Disturb is turned off?

Next thing to check: Settings - Notifications - Mail - (Mail account) - Notification Center should be turned on. Look through your Sound settings in Settings - Sound.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This sound playing also depends on your Mail settings. If you don't have "Push" or "Fetch" on (or they are not available for your e-mail account), you won't get a sound because the Mail app isn't receiving anything - nor is it going out to fetch mail.

So, check each e-mail account you've got loaded (in the "Mail, Contacts and Calendars" tab in your Settings app)to see if you have them set up to have mail pushed or have the Mail app fetch. If its not set up, then you won't get any sounds until you open the Mail app (thus forcing it to get any mail on the server).

Marilyn

OP
F

foxyloxy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the settings menu (mail contacts calendars) it is set to push and the fetch section is set to manual. Don't think this makes a difference as push is on. Do i still need to set this to a time? As its e
As its set it still only makes a sound when I open mail. Anything else I can try

Most reactions