What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 GM Just Released

scoot3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't already... go to Settings-->Reset-->Reset Network Settings. Then rejoin your WiFi network and see if it helps. It seems to have cured my issue.

Though I don't think I had the problem nearly as bad as you and others do. In my case it would seem to drop Internet access (yet still be connected to WiFi) but not every minute... only if I didn't use iPad for awhile (30+ minutes).

Michael

I was having the exact same problem as you, it would work then stop and then if I left the iPad alone, it would start working again. So I tried to reset network settings but that didn't work, the app store wouldn't even open. In my case it seems like the app store makes the wifi stop the fastest.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having the exact same problem as you, it would work then stop and then if I left the iPad alone, it would start working again. So I tried to reset network settings but that didn't work, the app store wouldn't even open. In my case it seems like the app store makes the wifi stop the fastest.
Shame it is not working. For reference, mine is WiFi only iPad. Is yours 3G?

The only other thing I would do if mine was still not working is try a full restore and setup as new. Perhaps there is something saved somewhere that is coming back to mess up WiFi.

Alas, if you are not a developer you cannot do a clean restore to 4.2 GM. But the next best thing would be to a clean restore to 3.2.2, setup as new, and then update to 4.2 GM before syncing or anything else.

I just can't see 4.2 GM working differently on exact same hardware. (Unless it is only 3G iPads affected.)

Michael

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 16g 3G loaded with developer registered ID to the GM version and have zero issues with Wifi (just for reference).

drindie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The only other thing I would do if mine was still not working is try a full restore and setup as new. Perhaps there is something saved somewhere that is coming back to mess up WiFi.

Alas, if you are not a developer you cannot do a clean restore to 4.2 GM. But the next best thing would be to a clean restore to 3.2.2, setup as new, and then update to 4.2 GM before syncing or anything else.

I just can't see 4.2 GM working differently on exact same hardware. (Unless it is only 3G iPads affected.)

Michael

I also have this same problem. I have a 64GB WiFi only iPad and it constantly loses connection. I tried reseting network settings, but it still doesn't work.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael

That's not true. I'm not a developer and I did a clean full restore to 4.2 GM. Just hit shift+restore (in Windows) and browse to the GM firmware.
(Although I did got back to JB'n 3.21 because of wifi issues).

scoot3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

I also have this same problem. I have a 64GB WiFi only iPad and it constantly loses connection. I tried reseting network settings, but it still doesn't work.

I have the 16GB wifi. I think I'll just wait for the "official update" from apple to come out and see if it gets fixed, if not then I'll try a restore. If so many people are having these problems then I think apple should fix this before the official update, even though in the past the GM version has been the same as the official update.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay,this may sound frightening but my iPad is facing some serious wifi problems. I just updated to the brand new iOS 4.2GM and was over excited at first only to cry(kind of) later. My wifi is seriously suffering here. It can't get any valid configuration from the same router with which it worked before the update. It only resolves an invalid ip for itself,169.154.xxx.xxx,and nothing else. For all kinds of precautions I completed the following steps.
1. Erase all settings a data reset in iOS 3.2.2,iPad activated
2.then a complete restore with 3.2.2 firmware,iPad activated
3.then installed iTunes 10.1b2
4.shift+check for update and selected the iOS 1,1 4.2 8C134 restore ipsw.
5. Completed the process.iPad activated.
6.iPad up and running.
7.erase all data and settings reset
8.iPad activated
9.reset all network settings
10.tried to connect to the router

But did the reset network settings twice more,but no good. I don't know what went wrong,i think I am really missing something here.

I don't have any wifi routers close by so can't check with others.
P.S: all my other devices are working great with my router and didn't change anything in my router.

Except this weird wifi issue iOS 4.2 gm is so awesome. I am loving it,now if only I could get this issue fixed.One more thing,my 3G connection now seems to be 8x faster now,don't know why.

Thanks
My iPad configuration:
iPad 3G 32GB
iOS 4.2 GM(8C134)

Edit: problem solved. See my post oon the next page.

Last edited:

Val70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad - OIS 4.2 Help for a newbie.

As a newpie to this forum I just had a notification from PadGadget that I could install OIS 4.2 now on my iPad.

This is the file they gave me:
iPad1,1_4.2_8C134_Restore.ipsw

I searched several sites and found that some of them asked for payment.

Is there a recommended site I could use? I am not sure if you are allowed to do this on this site.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Val

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is against the rule to supply any link or source to any software or material that are accessible in ways the author doesn't want it to be. So I can't provide a direct link. But if you are over interested then pm me,maybe I could give a hint if that is legal.

Btw if you have 3G version of iPad,it is not recommended to install it yet,as there are severe wifi issues with 3G versions,including mine too. So it's best if you wait till the official release which rumor has it should be this week or earlier next week.

Thanks

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is against the rule to supply any link or source to any software or material that are accessible in ways the author doesn't want it to be. So I can't provide a direct link. But if you are over interested then pm me,maybe I could give a hint if that is legal.

Btw if you have 3G version of iPad,it is not recommended to install it yet,as there are severe wifi issues with 3G versions,including mine too. So it's best if you wait till the official release which rumor has it should be this week or earlier next week.

Thanks

Ditto on that advice.

The public release is close enough, and installing the currently available version is complicated enough, that it is not worth screwing up your most expensive version of the iPad with trying to install a version that is known to be buggy.

They've been known to release separate versions for 3G. I don't know if it is possible that the majority of "GM" versions are screwing up WiFi on the 3G version or not, but I know that to me it's not worth taking the risk. :)

Been there, done that, not going through it again!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many of you with wifi problems are upgrading without developer registered ID? Could be the problem. And it's not true that the wifi problem, update is bad for 3G as most with problems in this thread a wifi only. I have registered officially upgraded 3G and have zero problems with the GM version.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holy sh*t! Is this really possible? I mean my wifi problem is completely gone!!!! I was so angry with my router that I almost kicked it out of the window when all of a sudden it came to me!! I tried to downgrade to 3.2.2 but it always failed. So out of frustration I did a restore with the GM version. But nothing solved the problem of wifi. When trying to play around with my cellphone,it dawned on me that my cellphone can share data connection with other wifi devices by acting as a hotspot. I fired up the routing software,went on with the basic configuration,but no good,still wifi did receive those weird ips and hence no connection. Then reviewing through the configuration again an option which says "Channel 1 is the default,but feel free to play around with other channels and see which one works best for you..." I changed the channel,fired up again and when ready I tried again to connect iPad. Then it happened,the blessing. My iPad asked for the password,I entered it and hit join hoping it won't work,the same fast connection and the full wifi signal bar,but firing up the safari and went to apple to see if the GM is released already. The page loaded super fast! I loaded other sites and it worked. I immediately disconnected,and reconnectd again,and it was a blazing fast connection,safari again loaded my pages. I disconnected,reconfigured To channel 1,then tried reconnecting but the dead wifi connection returned,invalid ip and no connection. Then I changed to a new channel and tried reconnecting,it worked again and everything was fine. I think it's the channel that is playing the trick. I suggest people try it.Change the channel. Best of all it's blazing fast,faster than 3.2.2 both the connecting and the browsing,and what really amazing about the GM version is the wifi bar is full which rarely happened when in 3.2.2 even siting right next to the router gave me only 1 to 2 bars,but now sitting away across the room gives me the full/3bars. I suggest people facing the wifi issue,try changing your router to different channel. If it can help mine(iPad 3G) it will probably Work for you.

Thanks

Val70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your reply and advice.
I don't have the 3g version of the iPad but I think I will be patient and wait until the official version is released.:comingsoon:

Most reactions

Latest posts