What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what to do when 4.2 releases official

jjlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all
Sorry for my dumb question and bad english.

I'v installed 4.2 GM and iTunes 10.1 beta on my pc.
My question is, what du I do when Apple releases 4.2, how do I install the final ios4.2 on my iPad when im running af GM/beta software?

Do I have to downgrade to 3.2.2 or willl itunes automatically install the new ios? and what about iTunes ??

thanks

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, GM can be expected to be identical to the final version that will come out soon (if they don't find the mega-super-ginat bug in the last moment).
Therefore, you don't need to do anything on the iPad.
You'll need to update iTunes, but usually, your system will tell you when the update is available.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, GM can be expected to be identical to the final version that will come out soon (if they don't find the mega-super-ginat bug in the last moment).
Therefore, you don't need to do anything on the iPad.
You'll need to update iTunes, but usually, your system will tell you when the update is available.

I'm really new to iPad myself and I was wondering do update notifications come on the iPad or is it when a new version of iTunes is released? Do you have to hook up your iPad to iTunes to see the notification release or do you get a message OTA?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you hook your iPad up to iTunes and select your iPad, you will see this (or something like it) in the middle of the screen --

itunes30.jpg

The actual date will probably be different, but you can always press the "Check for Update" option at any time. If an update is available, you will be given the option to either download the update and install it later or update and then install immediately after it is done.

As far as iTunes, you will get a message on the screen telling you that an update is available.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry babe.... hookbill asked this question like 2 hours ago so I figured he was getting anxious for an answer. I know you are working on your Junior Moderator Merit Badge so I will wait a little longer next time!

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Will iTunes be looking for 3.2.2 when it updates ones iPad to 4.2? I would suspect that the minor problems that have been referenced [assuming those of you with developer licenses have fed back the lproblems] will be corrected, thus changing things?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the discovery of the Daylight savings bug, the official relase may well be different from the GM. Just a thought?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt it. Daylight savings time has already passed so now they have until Spring to come up with a fix.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I doubt it. Daylight savings time has already passed so now they have until Spring to come up with a fix.

They did acknowledge this though and say it would be fixed in 4.2. If this was discovered after 4.2 went to GM then that would suggest the official 4.2 will be slightly revised.

Most reactions