What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 GM Just Released

dannyyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, would love to have a play - is there any way a non-developer can get there hands on this? Or do I just have to wait patiently.... ;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any news on Netflix?
Works fine for me so far. :)

What I seem to be getting though, is a problem with WiFi. I have never had any WiFi issues with my iPad but so far three times since I updated to 4.2 GM I have had to switch off WiFi and turn it back on for it to work right. WiFi indicator was on, but no Internet. Hope that was some kind of a fluke but gonna reset network settings and reboot again to see if it helps.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, would love to have a play - is there any way a non-developer can get there hands on this? Or do I just have to wait patiently.... ;)
Sure there is a way to get the iOS 4.2 beta without being a developer, but there are also a ways to get money out of a bank without a withdrawal slip!

It will just be a little while longer. Best guess... maybe 2 weeks.

david-carradine.jpg

"Patience Grasshopper!"

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone is having the issue where iTunes is complaining that you need 10.1 and won't see your ipad after installing the GM firmware, but you have the release version of 10.1 installed; please drop me a PM. I have a solution for you.

(Due to my flapping after thinking I'd screwed my iPad even though its on a Dev's account!)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any news on Netflix?
Works fine for me so far. :)

What I seem to be getting though, is a problem with WiFi. I have never had any WiFi issues with my iPad but so far three times since I updated to 4.2 GM I have had to switch off WiFi and turn it back on for it to work right. WiFi indicator was on, but no Internet. Hope that was some kind of a fluke but gonna reset network settings and reboot again to see if it helps.

Michael

hmm.. I had problems like that with the first beta but not since.
With Netflix I haven't been able to stream movies since switching to beta. :(

I have the gm version downloaded but don't have my sync cable with me at work so I'll have to wait to install.

ahfunaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have to have a dev account to use this? I just downloaded it and would like to install but I'm scared, lol...

juddadredd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you dont need a dev account... download itunes beta, download the ipw file, press shift when restoring and select the file... but im having wifi issues now...

TinMan did you get 4.2 working as mine is doing the exact same thing with the wifi timing out?

Everything else is great but wifi keeps on dying, air video doesnt work nor does stream to me or air mouse...

ahfunaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you dont need a dev account... download itunes beta, download the ipw file, press shift when restoring and select the file... but im having wifi issues now...

TinMan did you get 4.2 working as mine is doing the exact same thing with the wifi timing out?

Everything else is great but wifi keeps on dying, air video doesnt work nor does stream to me or air mouse...

Ok cool thanks!

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 4.2 GM hardware mute not working?

So after much fuss about the hardware toggle changing from orientation to a mute switch, i am rather surprised to find it doesn't actually MUTE the audio from my iPad. It does mute certain sounds (like the keyboard click), but audio from the iPod audio player continues whether the mute is on or off.

Am i misunderstanding the purpose of the new mute toggle? Seems like an awful loss for an almost useless feature.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

hmm.. I had problems like that with the first beta but not since.
With Netflix I haven't been able to stream movies since switching to beta. :(

I have the gm version downloaded but don't have my sync cable with me at work so I'll have to wait to install.

Well so far has not happened again. Could have been a fluke. I did use a trick I once had to use on my iPhone: Settings-->Reset-->Reset Network Settings. Rejoined my WiFi network and since then no issues. Hopefully it will stay this way.

But Netflix seems fine. I was just playing a show and then used AirPlay to switch sound to my Apple TV and it worked (though the AirPlay icon seems incredibly hard to actually hit). Audio sync was good on Apple TV but not as good when I switched back to onboard speaker. The 30 second skip back button caused audio to be fine again.

Michael

juddadredd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tin, Tried that matey and still the same stupid thing isnt fetching data, still perhaps GM mk2 is needed, if I upgrade to the official 4.2 and it still does the same then I will take it back to the store and give them some grief...

juddadredd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad IOS 4.2 GM and Network Problems

Hi all,

Bit the bullet and upgraded to the GM and everythings great apart from the fact that I can't use wifi for more then a minute before it looses connection, it doesnt drop the network but doesnt seem to do anything but sit there and then time out...

Tried it with Safari, Air Mouse, Air Video and Stream to me all of which use the wifi in different ways and they are all dead...

Tried resetting everything, reinstalling etc to no avail... I'm not the only one with this problem and any help would be great...

Until then I'm moving back to version 3...

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Judd. For the heck of it I would try another WiFi network just in case it is not playing well with the current router/WLAN.

Michael

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you're fine. You don't have to worry about unlocking on an iPad. If you do a shift+Update and navigate to the 4.2 GM you won't lose any of your settings either.
Be sure to have the 10.1 beta 2 iTunes though. 4.2 needs it to get your iPad up and running afterwards.
Edit: forgot to say-you can always restore back to 3.22 and re-jailbreak if you get tired of waiting for the 4.2 jailbreak to come out.

Most reactions

Latest posts