What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 GM Just Released

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I read I thought that you could now install the 4.2 Beta without being a developer, but it appears I screwed the pooch on that one.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does iTunes actually say when the iPad is plugged in?

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly because I'm in the process of going back to the 10.0.1 version of iTunes but it was something to the effect of, "iTunes cannot communicate with 'iPad' because the software has expired."

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, the actual line is, "the software on 'iPad' has expired and must be updated to a newer version."

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, when I try to restore it back to it's factory settings, I am told this: "There is a problem downloading the software for the 'iPad'. The requested resource was not found."

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it. I put it in DFU mode and then hit restore. Thanks for the help. Out of curiousity, does the GM 4.2 need a developer code or no? And what problem did I run into? Thanks.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure it was talking about the software on the iPad and not iTunes?

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I just assumed that it was because from what I read earlier you had to have the beta of iTunes 10.1 to even install the 4.2 update.

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, it's not fixed. Now it's saying the iPad cannot berestored, an unknown error occurred. (1015). Help please.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, it's not fixed. Now it's saying the iPad cannot berestored, an unknown error occurred. (1015). Help please.
OK first, what are you trying to restore to... Hopefully 3.2.2. If not restore to that and not 4.2 GM.

Second, you really should have iTunes 10.1 beta 2--yes it is, or was, available for Windows. It is not out at Apple right now, but was prior to the 4.2 GM release. I have it. PM me if you need it.

So restore to 3.2.2 and get that done first.

Then in iTunes do a SHIFT-Update to update to 4.2 GM. Your iPad does not need to be registered as a developer device but you must do shift-update not restore.

Michael

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't even restore it to 3.2.2 now. I keep getting the 1015 message.

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So on a whim since it was still telling me it's in recovery mode, I used recboot to jump me out if revovery mode. It appears it's working now.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just loaded up the GM and there was an update to Netflix released today. Sooooo did the GM fix it or app update fix it? Whatever it works now. Yay!!!:D

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just loaded up the GM and there was an update to Netflix released today. Sooooo did the GM fix it or app update fix it? Whatever it works now. Yay!!!:D
LOL! I did try Netflix before the update and it did work fine.

But thanks for the heads up on the update... downloading it now.

I love how for update notes they only state the oh-so-helpful-and-detailed "Contains several bug fixes."

Well either way if it works it works. :)

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts