What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 GM Just Released

PacketRat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using it all day with no issues. I would suggest redownloading the code. Reset your device then upgrade it and see if it works.

scorpio2007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you dont need a dev account... download itunes beta, download the ipw file, press shift when restoring and select the file... but im having wifi issues now...

TinMan did you get 4.2 working as mine is doing the exact same thing with the wifi timing out?

Everything else is great but wifi keeps on dying, air video doesnt work nor does stream to me or air mouse...
I am having the exact same problem. I installed the 4.2 GM yesterday and I am literally getting tired of wifi losing connection every 2-3 minutes. I wonder whether i should wait for official release or go back to 3.2.2.

young blade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you dont need a dev account... download itunes beta, download the ipw file, press shift when restoring and select the file... but im having wifi issues now...

TinMan did you get 4.2 working as mine is doing the exact same thing with the wifi timing out?

Everything else is great but wifi keeps on dying, air video doesnt work nor does stream to me or air mouse...

dont hit restore.... hit update!!;)

elkman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same wifi issue after iOS 4.2 update

I have the same issue on my 64GB iPad (WiFi only). WiFi stops working after 20-30 seconds the connection has been reset (WiFi on / off). Everything else including all applications works perfectly as long as they do not need internet connection. Quite troublesome because I cannot revert back to iOS 3.2 since I do not have iTunes 10.1 for Windows (when I try to install the beta version available out there my antivirus detect a potential threat).

sdf34sdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i would guess it works just like on the iPhone and the usage makes pretty much sense to me

And what should be the purpose of muting your ipod music?
The switch is meant to mute all system sound which doesn't include the iPod - the iPod only plays when you want it to so just pause it.

viveknz76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Date birthday and GM

The birthday selection in contacts isn't fixed. It still adds a day to my selection of date. Still can't add photos to eithr pages or numbers.

scoot3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wifi issues

Hi all,

Bit the bullet and upgraded to the GM and everythings great apart from the fact that I can't use wifi for more then a minute before it looses connection, it doesnt drop the network but doesnt seem to do anything but sit there and then time out...

Tried it with Safari, Air Mouse, Air Video and Stream to me all of which use the wifi in different ways and they are all dead...

Tried resetting everything, reinstalling etc to no avail... I'm not the only one with this problem and any help would be great...

Until then I'm moving back to version 3...

I'm having the same problems as well, I have the 16GB wifi and it really sucks to not have wifi. I've done everything as well, I'm not sure what to do, I hope apple gets this fixed extremely soon. I probably get about 5 minutes before it just stops.

scorpio2007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just install it before 1 min
lets see it :)

I tried to downgrade to 3.2.2 and the iPad went into recovery mode. Tried it a couple of times. Having left with no other option, I had to put back the iOS 4.2 GM :-(

This is really annoying. Just to type this response, I had to turn the wi-fi on and off three times. Hope we get the fixes soon.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't already... go to Settings-->Reset-->Reset Network Settings. Then rejoin your WiFi network and see if it helps. It seems to have cured my issue.

Though I don't think I had the problem nearly as bad as you and others do. In my case it would seem to drop Internet access (yet still be connected to WiFi) but not every minute... only if I didn't use iPad for awhile (30+ minutes).

Michael

oldgjest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOs4.2 GM is really wonderful. thank you steve jobs, you made my life easy again. the update works like a charm and all are working.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I have the new 4.2g GM installed but I can't see the airplay option in the new dock with volume and brightness. Am I missing something do you have to have apple TV in the background for this to show?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I have the new 4.2g GM installed but I can't see the airplay option in the new dock with volume and brightness. Am I missing something do you have to have apple TV in the background for this to show?
I don't know what you mean about in the background but you need to have at least one airplay device on the network available to the iPad. I have a new Apple TV and it is listed in the switcher (not the dock) by the volume control. It also shows just about any place I can see an audio control: Netflix, Youtube, etc. If it is not shown, say in like ABC Player, I can still enable it via the control in the switcher.

Michael

jr1623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you guys please help me? I got stupid I guess and downloaded the Beta 10.1 for iTunes and 4.2 for iPad today and after I installed it all it tells me is the software for my iPad has expired and needs to be updated. What are my options here? Can I even downgrade it? It's never been jailbroken before and now I'm stuck with a non-working iPad that just shows the USB connector on the screen. Please help. I just want it to work again. Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts