What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 GM Just Released

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has just made the 4.2 GM available to developers, so we should be on the final straight now... Probably a 2 week test period before final release to the public...

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloading now.... see how much it is different from beta 3 soon enough. App updates should really be coming out now too.

Michael

T

TJK

Just downloaded and am installing right now....we'll see what is different soon.

T

TJK

WARNING!! Be sure to download and install iTunes Beta 10.1 release 2. Required to activate iOS 4.2 GM.

drock99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airplay video not working with iOS apple tv

Im disappointed to say the least. There's s new icon for the airplay function and it indicates video and not just audio but video does not play on the apple tv. In fact it continues to play on the iPad and only streams the audio to apple tv.

Also videos that have been recorded via the iPhone's camera app do not show any airplay functionality in play back. I am REALLY disappointed in this.

netflix worked though.

T

TJK

Drock...wasn't there a beta build of OSX required for Airplay and AirPrint to work correctly with iOS 4.2 beta? I thought I saw that on iOS Dev center somewhere....?? Can't find it now.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for the Windows version of iTunes 10.1 beta 2.....
Wait? It's been out since October 12.

You don't need it anyway: shift update will install this release just like the betas without any Apple checking.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WARNING!! Be sure to download and install iTunes Beta 10.1 release 2. Required to activate iOS 4.2 GM.

You can still shift/option-update and it will install, just like the betas.

Michael

earlyadopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman, I have 4.2 b3 loaded on my iPad using that method but this time iTunes told me I had to have iTunes 10.1 or higher installed. I do in fact have iTunes 10.1 installed on my machine.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drock...wasn't there a beta build of OSX required for Airplay and AirPrint to work correctly with iOS 4.2 beta? I thought I saw that on iOS Dev center somewhere....?? Can't find it now.
OSX? I doubt that.... it needed the beta of iTunes.... which worked for both Mac and Windows. Sure hope it isn't embedded at the OS level.

Airprint has already been working for me.

Airplay is still working but I thought we were supposed to be able to stream video content from the iPad straight to, say, Apple TV (have been able to do audio).

In fact we can still only stream audio to Apple TV (2G in my case). This is not a big issue though for me in actual use: everything on my iPad is already in my iTunes library and we can already use Airplay to play that. But I still would have liked to play ANYTHING I had on my iPad to Apple TV--audio and video. I guess only iTunes is able to stream both video and audio.

All that said I think the new Airplane icon is better, it at least shows you what you can do: as in just audio... and I would hope soon video. In the betas it was kind of confusing to not know what was going on.

So far I am happy with 4.2 GM.

Michael

young blade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So strange...

THis is strange... i just updated to 4.2 GM from 3.2.2 and al my settings are still intact.. Even all the jailbroken apps are still there... The only thing is I cant launch them.. I still even have all my files... The update did not wipe them clean...:D

Anyone else????

Vulpix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THis is strange... i just updated to 4.2 GM from 3.2.2 and al my settings are still intact.. Even all the jailbroken apps are still there... The only thing is I cant launch them.. I still even have all my files... The update did not wipe them clean...:D

Anyone else????

Same thing here. I had problems launching, but after shutting my iPad off and on again, everything works fine. I can't feel or see any difference though, but at least Parcel now works, because it didn't for me in beta 3.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Anyone else????
It's normal for settings to be retained... not so normal for jailbreak apps to still be showing. Normally they would be gone. But updating doesn't normally delete anything, just updates the firmware. A restore will wipe the device (though restoring from backup will restore settings of course--even for jailbreak app).

The file system has been locked up again, so that is why you can't run those jailbreak apps.

Hmmmm.... I have heard at least one report that the latest jb will jb 4.2, but that cydia wouldn't run. I wonder if the apps are already installed if trying to jailbreak would let some of those jb apps run if they are already installed. Might try that....

Michael

ahfunaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I install 4.2 GM

Will I be able to jailbreak when a jailbreak is released for the final version of 4.2?

I know with the iPhone you should never update to the latest firmware until the jailbreak happens due to the irreversible baseband upgrades, so does the iPad work the same way?

Actually the more I think about it the baseband upgrades only affect unlocking not jailbreaking right? So I should be fine upgrading to the GM today just to play around with it on my iPad.

I just don't want to risk upgrading to the GM just to find out I screwed myself over later on for jailbreaking.

Thanks in advance!

Most reactions

Latest posts