What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you let your coworkers borrow your brand new iPad 2 to "play"?

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
I'm sure a lot of people are like me, we store sensitive information on our mobile devices.

But my coworkers like to come to me and ask "May I borrow your iPad for a while to play?" It's very frustrating. I feel weird not lend it to them, but who knows what they will do to it. And what if they spill water on it.. aarrghh this one crazy person loves to eat and drink while browsing on my iPad. My heart is always hanging whenever he does that.

So what are your thoughts? If you are thinking "No", what's a polite way to turn them down?

Last edited:
OP
HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
LOL

Yea, that's what I WISH to say every time! But it's so hard, these are folks you work with every day, and some are kind of in a client position.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Tell you what— I'll forgive for asking if you forgive me for saying No!"

I think it takes a lot of nerve to ask for access to something so personal, not to mention potentially fragile. And you are an absolute SAINT not to drop a wastebasket on the eater's head (after removing your iPad, of course).

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with sweet poison, let them see and play with you there, then tell them where you bought it ;o)

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to still been his friend say NO...

I see it this way, if something happen to the iPad he probably don't step up to the plate and get a new one for you, then you will be mad and you will loose a friend.

Just my two cents :)

OP
HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
Cool. Glad to know I'm not the only those who feels this way about my iPad. I even thought about creating an App just to display a message that says something like "BROKEN, NEED TO BE REINSTALLED" so I can use that as an excuse. LOL

I shall attempt to implement the "no" strategy next week, we will see how that goes.

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people are like me, we store sensitive information on our mobile devices.

But my coworkers like to come to me and ask "May I borrow your iPad for a while to play?" It's very frustrating. I feel weird not lend it to them, but who knows what they will do to it. And what if they spill water on it.. aarrghh this one crazy person loves to eat and drink while browsing on my iPad. My heart is always hanging whenever he does that.

So what are your thoughts? If you are thinking "No", what's a polite way to turn them down?

Would you let them borrow your automobile? Your camera? Your computer? Your child?
Disclaimer: political correctness and I are never in the same mindset.
If the only concern is personal data try an app like Keeper to encrypt your personal stuff.
Me personally, I'd be slightly offended if they wanted to "try out" my device without my presence out of knowledge that they are not up to any good by doing so but would also thank them for having balls enough to tell me to my face they plan on stabbing me in the back by asking. Then I would say no. I would tell them try out one at Best Buy or an Apple store by leaving with it will be easier than "borrowing" mine.
If they want to check it out to decide on buying one or not, I'm all there but only in my presence.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yet another white-lie tack...

"Gee, I'm so sorry, but lately it's been developing some strange behavior and I think it may be from somebody messing with the settings. Better keep it with me for a while before I really have a problem!"

But I'm still in favor of the more honest and direct approach: "No!"

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Would you let them borrow your Your child?

Maybe?:D

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I meet a friend for coffee who has not yet seen my iPad, I ask if they would like to meet it. Then I ask if they would like to hold it. If the answer is Yes, I ask if their hands are clean. When they are holding it, I say that they may lift up the cover. Next, I whip it off them!! However, I do offer a quick demo....

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I meet a friend for coffee who has not yet seen my iPad, I ask if they would like to meet it. Then I ask if they would like to hold it. If the answer is Yes, I ask if their hands are clean. When they are holding it, I say that they may lift up the cover. Next, I whip it off them!! However, I do offer a quick demo....

You crack me up, woman!

xFrenchFr1es

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The people that usually ask me if they can use are people in my class and not my coworkers as I use my iPad for school. But I usually say no.

The reason why is because if they spill something on it or just break it, you can't really ask them to buy you a new one.

What I answer is usually something along the lines of " other people have already asked me an I said no so it would be unfair of me to say yes to you.."

But if it's my best friend that asks me I'll probably say yes as I know that I can trust him..

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

God no,wont let anyone touch my new baby,even my husband,can't think of a polite way to say no,maybe just say sorry but no.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is insured with accidental damage protection so if I trust the person then I have no problem letting them use it for a small time frame without me being present. However, if I do not trust them, then I have no problem saying no when asked if they can play with it.

It is your device and your money that purchased it so you have to go by your comfort level, not someone else's.

Most reactions

Latest posts