What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With or Without +Cellular

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm onto my third iPad now and all have had cellular and I will always purchase these models. Firstly I like to travel, both interstate and overseas so it's great being able to just buy a sim wherever I am....it works out much cheaper if your hotel doesn't offer free wifi and you need to pay the daily rate. I only use my phone when overseas for emergencies but can use my iPad to keep in touch with my family at any time. I also don't like to connect to free wifi spots for certain needs for security reasons. But most of all, it's all about the built in GPS chip. This alone makes it worthwhile for me even without a charged sim. We like going for long drives and it's nice being able to see just where we are.....it's saved us many times being able to utilise this feature both here and overseas when we find ourselves a little lost. You just never know when you will need it and for me the extra $'s is well worth it.

I think public wifi is okay as long as you are not doing any online banking.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think public wifi is okay as long as you are not doing any online banking. Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Yes...agree....they are my certain needs! ;)

But I just don't tend to do it and if I have a sim I don't need to! ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think public wifi is okay as long as you are not doing any online banking.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

I wouldn't want anyone else having access to my email -- personal or work -- or social networks, either. And I buy stuff online -- iTunes, shopping, etc. For me, public wifi just isn't worth the risks, but to each his own, of course. I think it's best to know what risks you're taking, and many people don't realize what they actually are.

orelbaz3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to all, don't really know if i'm putting it on the right thread but:

I have a question about this product.
Apple® - iPad® Air with Wi-Fi + Cellular - (AT&T) - 32GB - Space Gray

I must use AT&T services?

I use to travel in the world and carrying different micro-sim cards. How can I know for certain that this product will work with non AT&T cellular services, outside of USA?

Thanks in advance

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello to all, don't really know if i'm putting it on the right thread but: I have a question about this product. Apple® - iPad® Air with Wi-Fi + Cellular - (AT&T) - 32GB - Space Gray I must use AT&T services? I use to travel in the world and carrying different micro-sim cards. How can I know for certain that this product will work with non AT&T cellular services, outside of USA? Thanks in advance
You can activate a cellular data plan with any carrier worldwide. You should have no problem using local prepaid SIM cards in your iPad, if available. The iPad Air is not locked to any particular carrier when purchased.

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a wifi only iPad once, the first gen, and I returned it 3 days later to get the cellular version. Since then, every iPad generation I have had has been wifi/cellular. It's extremely convenient and I cant remember how many times I was traveling, on the road and needed that internet connection and being able to essentially flip a switch and turn it on with no commitment/contract is awesome. I feel the wifi only iPad is crippled. It's really not too bad cost wise and again not being locked in to a contract and being able to turn it on and off as you please is wonderful.
Some of us are doing good to afford an Ipad...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of us are doing good to afford an Ipad...

More and more people can afford iPads now because early adopters bought them by the millions. Tech consistently becomes more affordable over time, as more people adopt it, which is why you see dirt-poor people in third world countries using smart phones now, for example. Even when others can't afford higher-end tech, it's good when early adopters and later waves of consumers help build the base, because it takes their money to eventually spread tech to others with less money.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads haven't come down much... They've gotten a lot better (thinner, faster), but not cheaper.. My ipad Air cost about the same as my original ipad 1 when it first came out...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads haven't come down much... They've gotten a lot better (thinner, faster), but not cheaper.. My ipad Air cost about the same as my original ipad 1 when it first came out...

Not a lot of profit in selling cheap devices. So the up the spec/features and keep the baseline price the same.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Entry point iPad mini is $299 and iPad 2 is $399. When iPad started selling, $499 was entry point. I said tech gets cheaper; not that they start giving it away, lol.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that's true.. The Mini and the 2 are cheaper.. But since this is the Air forum, I was thinking of the latest and greatest iPad, which of course is the Air :) I just dug through my old bills and see that I paid $779 for a 32 Gig WiFi+Cellular iPad 1 when it first came out.. The same model Air is $749. (These are Canadian prices).

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that's true.. The Mini and the 2 are cheaper.. But since this is the Air forum, I was thinking of the latest and greatest iPad, which of course is the Air :) I just dug through my old bills and see that I paid $779 for a 32 Gig WiFi+Cellular iPad 1 when it first came out.. The same model Air is $749. (These are Canadian prices).

$729 in the USA for that model. I have one. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The Air is not the greatest iPad...that would be the mini 2. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Air is not the greatest iPad...that would be the mini 2. :)

Lol. The best thing is customers get to choose and spend less if they'd like.

Thanks to iPad's success because of early adopters, not only have iPads become more price accessible, consumers have more choices among tablets. The low-end Kindle Fire is $139. It's hard to believe it was only April 2010 when iPad kicked things off!

I remember when Amazon announced its first e-ink Kindle and how it cost about 400 bucks in 2007, lol. I still have my original Kindle, which seemed like a gift from the book gods back in the day! Look how far we've come!

Most reactions

Latest posts