What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions/ advice

Jhermes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16 GB iPad 2 WiFi and am planning to buy a 32 GB iPad Air WiFi + cellular

I'm in France, but will probably be moving to the US next year.

Many questions, any answers appreciated!

-I don't have a computer...my laptop committed suicide, and I got the iPad to tide me over, and found that I really don't need anything more. Is there any problem transferring my apps and data over, or do I have to repurchase stuff? It's backed up on iCloud.

-related question...is there a good way to get music I've got on various iPods (I've got 3 of the old tiny ones) onto the iPad (again, no computer)?

-will I be able to buy an iPad Air in France and use it in the US with just an adaptor, or do I need to
buy a completely different power cord?

-it looks like if I get the WiFi + cellular version in France, I need to sign a cellular contract. Does
anyone know if this is actually the case, or if I can buy one contractless, use it WiFi, and worry about the cellular part later? Again, if I take it to the US, will I be able to add a US cellular contract later? Or am I stuck with whichever country I bought it in?

-is there a way to trade in or sell my old iPad?

-if I buy a 16 GB iPad Air can I add memory later, or should I go for 32 GB right off the bat? I spent a bunch of money for extra iCloud storage, only to discover that it didn't mean I could keep more movies downloaded, and so it wasn't useful and I canceled it. Am I correct in assuming that I probably want the 32 GB this time around?

-I don't have a printer, but I'd like to get one. What I really want is cheap and nasty, good at printing black-and-white, easy set-up, no expensive supplies. Recommendations? Or what to definitely avoid?

-is there a good reason to buy from the Apple Store as opposed to a general electronics retailer?

-I currently use the SmartCase, but I'm thinking to change to a SmartCover because of the weight.
Except for not covering the back of the device, do they basically function the same?

-I don't like the available Apple case color options (they are the icky pastel colors of cheap Japanese blenders! Why?)...

Are there any cases from other manufacturers that are equally or even more functional but have other colors?

If anyone has any recommendations for indispensable accessories that you really love, please tell me!

Also, the 2 annoying points I've noticed are (1) a bunch of stuff is only available through FlashPlayer, and (2) can't attach multiple documents to emails. Are there any changes here, or am I missing an
easy workaround?

Merci beaucoup!

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Answer to your first question:
Apps you have purchased with your Apple ID will always be visible in App Store - Purchased. Even if you deleted them from your device, you're always able to download and install them again.
Music you purchased in iTunes can be synced to every device where you use the same Apple ID, afaik same works for books.
If you backup to iCloud, your settings will be saved there as well.
All you have to do when you get the new device is to set it up with your existing Apple ID, and use the backup from iCloud.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum - I'll try to address a few of your many questions - ;)

I have a 16 GB iPad 2 WiFi and am planning to buy a 32 GB iPad Air WiFi + cellular

I'm in France, but will probably be moving to the US next year.

-I don't have a computer...my laptop committed suicide, and I got the iPad to tide me over, and found that I really don't need anything more. Is there any problem transferring my apps and data over, or do I have to repurchase stuff? It's backed up on iCloud.

You should be able to use your iCloud account after making a backup of your iPad 2 and then restoring to your new iPad - plenty of articles on the web already & information in this forum, so a search will help - but for starters check out this ARTICLE.

-is there a way to trade in or sell my old iPad?

Sure, selling an 'old' iPad should not be a problem - just google the terms 'selling an iPad' - some options include eBay, local listings (e.g. Craig's list), and plenty of net places, such as GLYDE.

-if I buy a 16 GB iPad Air can I add memory later, or should I go for 32 GB right off the bat? I spent a bunch of money for extra iCloud storage, only to discover that it didn't mean I could keep more movies downloaded, and so it wasn't useful and I canceled it. Am I correct in assuming that I probably want the 32 GB this time around?

YES, memory cannot be added as w/ the present iPads, so if you feel the need for more that 16 GB and the extra cash is not an issue, then go to 32 GB - I'll be upgrading to an Air in a few months (have a 32 GB iPad 2 now) and will likely go to a 64 GB - plan to add my music which is now on an old iPod Touch.

-I don't have a printer, but I'd like to get one. What I really want is cheap and nasty, good at printing black-and-white, easy set-up, no expensive supplies. Recommendations? Or what to definitely avoid?

I've mainly used Canon & Brother printers - look for printers in your price range; check Amazon and other sites for reviews; BUT be sure to obtain one that can handle Air Print and does not need to be attached to a computer (which you lack @ the moment) - connection over a Wi-Fi network should accomplish the goal.

Well, I'll stop there - others may have already addressed these issues by the time I post - good luck! Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
-it looks like if I get the WiFi + cellular version in France, I need to sign a cellular contract. Does anyone know if this is actually the case, or if I can buy one contractless, use it WiFi, and worry about the cellular part later?
I ordered my new iPad without cellular contract in Apple Store (online) and looked for a provider later. If it's possible in Austria, it will be as well in France, I guess.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts