What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will The ipad Be Outsold By Windows Tablet?

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everybody heard that Windows is gonna release a tablet, well windows has dominated apple in the past, will they do it again with the upcoming windows tablet?

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ummm...

What are you talking about?
Windows doesn't manufacture any computers.

I think the market model here will be more similar to the phone market or the ipod market, than computer markets.

Do you feel that Windows Mobile type phones are dominating iPhones?
Are any Win-Devices dominating iPod devices?

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Ultrimate, why are you trying to stir things up? HP just dumped Windows 7 from their slate. They're going with a mobile OS. Does that tell you anything?

stormtracker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.statesvilleweather.net
Windows tablets have been available for years. They will continue to fail until Microsoft starts making a specific OS for tablets. The magic of the iPad is the software, not the hardware.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows on a tablet ..... would be too hot, too slow and battery life would be too short.
Even browsing on a netbook isn't as fluid as on the iPad (except for Flas support).
The real competition is more likely to be from Android tablets.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Windows Tablet ??? I think we will hear talk about it for the next 5 years. And then when they come out with it, Apple will reinvent the wheel all over again.. That's not dominance is it. :p

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When there is a Windows Tablet for actually for sale we can have this discussion.

I have used windows 7 tablet PCs and they are great. They lack the fun-to-use touch interface, but for serious productivity, I prefer them to the iPad. Most are too big and heavy to carry everywhere though. I always thought it was a mistake to focus away from slates and onto "convertable" notebooks. The ones that are small and portable are too expensive. I think Microsoft is capably of making a killer tablet. The pen interface and handwriting recognition works VERY well on the current models. They are going to have to stop half-assing it though and really put some effort into the interface, portability and battery life instead of just leaving all that work up to the hardawre manufacturers to do the real innovation.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really like Windows; when it works, and because I have been using it since Windows 1.0 I am comfortable with the os. Now I think it is to big a program, tries to do to many things and this puts to much strain on the hardware.

The iPad is quick, up and running in seconds not minutes. If Windows could do that I would buy a Windows tablet. I have always hated waiting for Windows to load but now the iPad is taking that irritation to a whole new level.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, bill gates was on larry king few weeks ago, and he was knocking the iPad and saying how great their windows tablet is gonna be.. Just getting your input...

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm....last I knew, Windows was a brand of operating system made by Microsoft, neither of which produces computers/tablets.

Now, if you're talking about a Windows based tablet outselling Ipads, then that's a different story. Would they outsell Ipads in the current Windows form? Absolutely not. Do they have the ability to if they build a ground up, mobile based version of Windows? Possibly. Anything is possible. We can be driving flying cars next year, but it's not probably unless someone comes up with a new innovation.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been windows tablets fir quite some time...none have been touch friendly and they all are pen based...they have always been total flops.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad is quick, up and running in seconds not minutes.
Actually, Windows 7 with a solid state "disk" can boot up very quickly now - I think we had one in the office here up in less than 20sec. Much faster than any previous version of Windows. Still not instant on like the iPad, but its a full OS.

I think MS (in conjunction with its hardware partners) is capable of making a killer slate. They already have a terrific base to work from with the pen and handwritting recognition. They have some fantastic slates already on the market, but they are not a direct competitor to the iPad. They are heavier, way more expensive, have less battery life, and built more as a laptop replacement than an appliance.

Microsoft seriously needs to support the platform better from a marketing and software perspective. It needs a more touch/pen friendly interface. Just touch/pen scrolling would be a huge start, but there is so much more work to be done to make the platform what it could be.

Here is a great-looking tablet you can buy now. I'm guessing most iPad users never knew such things exist.
img_i440d3_detail.jpg

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why on Earth are you even on this forum? Your posts have been nothing but incendiary and trying to mix up trouble since you got here. There is a word for that: troll.

But to answer the stupid question in the first post, Windows OS sucks on a small touch device. No one wants to navigate the start menu and command prompt type things with their finger. The only two truly good OSs for a slate are Apple's OS and Android. Anything that rivals the iPad is going to be Android, at this point....unless MS comes up with like Windows Touch OS 1.0 or something. And even then, the app store for that slate will be absolute crap at the beginning, so we are years away from that happening. Even the Android Market is still trying to catch up to iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts