What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad future proof ? Will it continue to reign supreme ?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a look at an Android tablet the other day and it looked pretty slick. It had features that I would like to see in the iPad, file manager etc.

I actually ordered an Android phone yesterday, my current phone is pre-iPhone, Windows Mobile.

One problem with the iPhone is that Apple has such a grip on prices that there is no chance of a discount. The iPhone 4S is $799 here (Apple Australia has always charged top dollar). The Sumsung Galaxy II s is officially $720 but I found it online for $520 + delivery. No doubt this is a parallel import but it does have Australian warranty.

I looked at the Android market and found most if not all the class Apps are available in the App Store. No doubt many of the Apps should be prefixed with "cr" but that's true of the App Store as well.

In my opinion, the iPhone/iPad will be relegated to niche devices (much the same as the Mac) as the Android juggernaut gathers momentum. Don't discount Windows Mobile either. Microsoft threw away *years of head start, but they will likely still make a mark.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jduncan said:
I really don't care which tablet takes the lead because as a consumer I will always choose what works for me. If it's iPad, great. If it's android, great. I win either way. I don't buy one brand just for a name.

That's the right way to approach it. I hemmed and hawed over a tablet for a while and ended up with iPad because it was the best tablet out there once all things were considered. Easy decision.

RAC said:
I had a look at an Android tablet the other day and it looked pretty slick. It had features that I would like to see in the iPad, file manager etc.

I actually ordered an Android phone yesterday, my current phone is pre-iPhone, Windows Mobile.

One problem with the iPhone is that Apple has such a grip on prices that there is no chance of a discount. The iPhone 4S is $799 here (Apple Australia has always charged top dollar). The Sumsung Galaxy II s is officially $720 but I found it online for $520 + delivery. No doubt this is a parallel import but it does have Australian warranty.

I looked at the Android market and found most if not all the class Apps are available in the App Store. No doubt many of the Apps should be prefixed with "cr" but that's true of the App Store as well.

In my opinion, the iPhone/iPad will be relegated to niche devices (much the same as the Mac) as the Android juggernaut gathers momentum. Don't discount Windows Mobile either. Microsoft threw away *years of head start, but they will likely still make a mark.

No doubt the Android tablets have some nice features. I still think there is app problem though, as in not enough of them so the people flock to Apple for their tablet needs. As for the future, Windows could make a dent in the market share but I don't know about Apple becoming a niche product in the tablet market. I don't see that happening. They are just too popular and even people that tend to avoid Apple products, like me, ended up with an iPad. We shall see.

Last edited:

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
With over 100 Android tablets as well as RIM's PlayBook offering and Windows 8 tablets round the corner, will the iPad continue to be supremo ?

2 phone/pad combinations have been rumoured (see pics), could this be the future for The iPad/iPhone also ? I used to own an iPhone but it became useless to me when iPad 1 was released. Migrated to a HTC HD7 Windows 7 device.

In my view it would make great sense, aesthetically the team at Cupertino have always dominated.

You could post your mock-ups here.

It would be nice to hear the views of the forum.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

That's quite cool.

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skallal said:
What price did you see? It is priced at $500 with 32 GB, which is less than the iPad2.

I was including the keyboard. Also I only ever buy the highest spec anything. I have filled/emptied/filled my 64GB iPad 2 many times. I am a filmaholic, 32GB would not be of much use to me.

magreader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelmags.com
I wouldn't mind having a tablet that plugged into my phone, because i would be able to use the bigger interface of a tablet to do work easer like with emails reading ect... It defiantly would not be for everyone though I see business benifits but not many personal ones.

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
magreader said:
I wouldn't mind having a tablet that plugged into my phone, because i would be able to use the bigger interface of a tablet to do work easer like with emails reading ect... It defiantly would not be for everyone though I see business benifits but not many personal ones.

You should take a look at the Galaxy note. Not a bad looking device...only it's android.

I hear there are rumours of a 7" iPad. that would be nice. But I still prefer a solid 10" screen. I now have 9 suits with iPad pockets. It better reign supreme. Although I am a little disappointed at the lack of recent innovation. Let's hope 2012 brings fresh ideas to the arena.

Most reactions