What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will restoring my ipad improve its performance

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I have an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1, since my recent up grade to the new iOS my iPad has been rather buggy. I've tried all the recommendations with the exception of one, restore.

Is it worth my time to restore my iPad to factory then running a restore with one of my saved back ups?

Thanks

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use to be JB on 4.3.3 but decided to go with the new iOS. I'll give the restore option a try, thank you for the quick response

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just finished the restore of my iPad. Went well, restored to factory settings first then restored my most recent backup. We'll see how she runs!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a stock iPad (not jailbroken) it shouldn't matter. Restoring wouldn't make much of a difference. A full reboot would do about the same thing.

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
graywolf said:
On a stock iPad (not jailbroken) it shouldn't matter. Restoring wouldn't make much of a difference. A full reboot would do about the same thing.

Yeah I hear you but had to try something. I've been debating just bitting the bullet and buy an iPad 2. I just got an email from amazon, $419 for an iPad 2 with free shipping. Not bad and tempting, but I need to sell mi iPad 1 first.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you but had to try something. I've been debating just bitting the bullet and buy an iPad 2. I just got an email from amazon, $419 for an iPad 2 with free shipping. Not bad and tempting, but I need to sell mi iPad 1 first.

iPad 2 is very nice compared to iPad 1 when it comes to just overall "smoothness" in everyday use.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hey Lion's Fan--take the plunge and get the Ipad2. As Graywolf says, it is smoother!! Good luck!!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hey Lion's Fan--take the plunge and get the Ipad2. As Graywolf says, it is smoother!! Good luck!!

Think first though. iPad 3 will be here before you know it! :)

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All sound advice folks and I'd agree, I still need to sell my original. I hear my Christmas want list has already reached its limit.

jmccamb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, i just thought I would add my 2 cents. Since getting my iPad a month ago, I noticed my battery life dropping fast, wifi acting weird, and generally sluggish performance. After searching Apple forums (literately for hours) reading countless suggestions I can say with absolute certainty that a restore (if done the right way) can significantly help problems associated with 5.0.1.

I would suggest doing the following. It is not a restore as you know it, but rather a flushing of the settings that carried over from previous updates after installing 5.0.1. It is easy to do and in my case completely fixed my problems.

For anyone new to the thread be sure to go through these steps to address the battery after updating to iOS 5.0.1:

1. Reset all settings (settings app-> general-> reset)

2. Go through initial setup steps (lang, wifi, siri, enable location, etc) and choose setup as new phone (don't worry your apps, data, contacts, mail will still be there). Do NOT restore from iCloud or iTunes (It can copy back corrupt settings)

3. Turn off system location services timezone and iAd

4. Fully discharge battery (until you get the spinning wheel and it shuts off)

5. Fully recharge battery (overnight if possible)

In my experience this improves the Standby battery drain issue significantly in most cases. It reduces drain from 2-4% or more per hr to 0.5% or less. It has worked for many, many users now. If it does not work after a few try's you may have a real battery or hardware issue and should contact Apple. Good Luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts