What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIfi or 4g version

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Why is gps important?

Many apps use gps functionality to work. while wifi can be ok to give a general location (city) its horrible for pinpointing your location and canon be used for things like Turn By Turn Navigation.

I look at it like this... My stand alone Garmin GPS unit witch is just for giving location on map when out hiking was $500. This stand alone GPS unit has a 10 foot accuracy of your location. The GPS unit inside the iPads has a 15 or 16 foot accuracy. So for pretty close to the same accuracy you can spend $500 for a stand alone GPS unit or $120 to get the 4G iPad model. To me that is well worth the price of upgrade on its own.

If you don't know already, you should check out geocaching at geocaching.com. Its a fun game where you use your GPS to find real world hidden treasures left behind by other people in your area. When you find a geocache full of prizes you can trade a prize of same value(so there are things for the next person). Its fun and is world wide, you probably have a geocache hidden in your back yard and never knew it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am scheduled to pick up a 64GB wifi from the Apple store on Friday. However, after thinking about it more and more, I think I'm going to ask if they will let me switch to the 4G version. That way, I get the GPS and potential to use 4G (which, would certainly be nice to have on an iPad when on travel).

If you have never tried to do Navigation on an iPad, you don't know what you're missing. I use Navigon on my iPad 2 and on long trips, it is great. On shorter unplanned trips, I just use my phone...but on planned trips, the iPad rules.

The GPS is also useful for location based apps like Yelp.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I am scheduled to pick up a 64GB wifi from the Apple store on Friday. However, after thinking about it more and more, I think I'm going to ask if they will let me switch to the 4G version. That way, I get the GPS and potential to use 4G (which, would certainly be nice to have on an iPad when on travel).

If you have never tried to do Navigation on an iPad, you don't know what you're missing. I use Navigon on my iPad 2 and on long trips, it is great. On shorter unplanned trips, I just use my phone...but on planned trips, the iPad rules.

The GPS is also useful for location based apps like Yelp.

Navigation like on your sat nav in your car? I'm not sure what it is but I have a Mercedes with built in sat nav. Would I need that on my Ipad too?

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
Many apps use gps functionality to work. while wifi can be ok to give a general location (city) its horrible for pinpointing your location and canon be used for things like Turn By Turn Navigation.

I look at it like this... My stand alone Garmin GPS unit witch is just for giving location on map when out hiking was $500. This stand alone GPS unit has a 10 foot accuracy of your location. The GPS unit inside the iPads has a 15 or 16 foot accuracy. So for pretty close to the same accuracy you can spend $500 for a stand alone GPS unit or $120 to get the 4G iPad model. To me that is well worth the price of upgrade on its own.

If you don't know already, you should check out geocaching at geocaching.com. Its a fun game where you use your GPS to find real world hidden treasures left behind by other people in your area. When you find a geocache full of prizes you can trade a prize of same value(so there are things for the next person). Its fun and is world wide, you probably have a geocache hidden in your back yard and never knew it.

Wow that game sounds so cool. I'm on to it! Thanks!

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi only for iPad2 and 3 for me. I am rural and coverage sucks plus there is enough wifi hot spots, I never miss is.

casey3557

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MIFI works well for me and I use the iPhone hotspot as back-up, so I opted for the 16 GB wifi.

Our budget would not stretch enough for the 4G right now, but I hope to pick one up in a few months. I'm handing my first-gen iPad over to a family member.

Paul.J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you was going to get the wifi version are you best of buying the top of the range ipad 2 instead. I'm i bit stuck on what to get my self because most places you go have wifi anyway.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Everyone posts are confusing me more lol. Surely if you have the iPhone 4s like I have and the personal hot spot facility we don't need the 4g version??? I don't use the gps thing I don't think.. I use my iPhone if lost.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Everyone posts are confusing me more lol. Surely if you have the iPhone 4s like I have and the personal hot spot facility we don't need the 4g version??? I don't use the gps thing I don't think.. I use my iPhone if lost.

It all comes down to what you want, will use, and can afford. Don't let everyone else's use case and device lust make your choice. Just listen to their reasons (if we have any) and make your decisions on whether you think they apply to you; just like you are doing. :)

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It all comes down to what you want, will use, and can afford. Don't let everyone else's use case and device lust make your choice. Just listen to their reasons (if we have any) and make your decisions on whether you think they apply to you; just like you are doing. :)

Thank you xx

swaggapad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on what you need, but i have a LTE Samsung Skyrocket that i use for tethering so i didn't see a need for getting my ipad with LTE as well...if you have a mifi, hotspot or phone that is LTE i think the convenience of a 4G ipad is not worth $130 premium even if that means gps too.

I have a black 32gb wifi "new ipad" enroute and wifey has a white 16gb wifi enroute as well..

bzbmum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the wifi version. I have 3g on my phone and I barely ever need to use that since I am always nearby or connected to a wifi. I just didn't see a reason to spend so much more for a 4g version. Even if I did need the 4g service while traveling, it wouldn't make sense to pay for a whole months worth of service for something I might only use for a couple hours or less. Besides, the 3g service on my phone would cover for those very few times that I might not be near a wifi.

I think that if you need to be connected to the internet 100% of the time through your iPad and are willing to pay for it, then you might opt for the 4g. But even then, you might not get service depending on location/area. For me, I don't need to be connected to the internet 100% of the time through my iPad and i'm definitely not willing to pay for it when i'm already paying for my phone and internet service on the side.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I'm getting a 4G model this time around.

It's a matter of convenience, not necessity. Using the iPhone 4 hotspot works well enough. I just don't want to bother with it. Also, I really want a GPS back in my iPad. I really miss the GPS. I don't 'need' it, mind you, but I miss it.

My first iPad was 3G, so getting the wi-fi (no matter how much financial sense it made at the time) has felt a bit like going on a diet. That BBQ 4G is looking real good.

While I sat in line at best buy, I kept going back and forth between wifi and 4g. My iPad 1 was 3G, I never activated the service since I had a Mifi which was unlimited. I decided to go with 4g again this time too, because I'd rather have it than wish I had it.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
While I sat in line at best buy, I kept going back and forth between wifi and 4g. My iPad 1 was 3G, I never activated the service since I had a Mifi which was unlimited. I decided to go with 4g again this time too, because I'd rather have it than wish I had it.

Snap!!!! Me too but I was queuing at the apple store London. :) I came to the same decision as you and lucky I did as my iPhone battery died at lunch time and I had no charger :)

Most reactions