What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad questions - WiFi, 3G, 4G and GPS?

geofan49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:ipad-front: My iPad 1 (16GB WiFi, bought on day one) needs upgrading. I may go out and get a new 32 GB iPad this weekend... probably Verizon 4G but not activate... just to keep my future options open. —— (I use WiFi 99% of the time —— for only a few hours every few weeks I do wish I had cellular.)

Question #1 :: Is there any difference in the HARDWARE of the iPad -- AT&T vs. Verizon? ... IN THEORY you could jailbreak and run on any 3G or 4G network, yes??? :confused:

Question #2 :: Does the real-GPS work on new iPad if the 3G/4G is not activated? IF NOT, I could just go on using WiFi hotspots and have approximate geolocation ...

Question #3 :: Any difference in battery life, or heat, with 32GB vs. 64GB? And, when you turn off 3G/4G they don't drain the battery, yes?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
#1: I thnk there must be or there would not be different versions, but I may be wrong. I think the networks use different technology (GSM vs CDMA)

#2: The GPS works without 3G/4G activated. Why use wifi hotspots when you have GPS?

#3: I suppose there is some difference, but probably not enough to worry about. No, if you turn off those antennas then they don't use any power.

OP
G

geofan49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found answer to #1, in part -- the radio hardware is different...

From
the Macrumors article
:
The Verizon iPad hardware supports only the 700 MHz band for LTE to match the carrier's technology, while the GSM version sold for use on AT&T's network supports both the 700 MHz and 2100 MHz bands as used by that carrier.

Most reactions

Latest posts