What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G CDMA or 4G GSM for iPad 3 (WiFi / cellular)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad3, 16 GB, WiFi with iOS 5.1.1 version. I am going for a clean reinstall but don't know whether I need to download 4G GSM link or 4G CDMA. Please help

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do you mean? You need to do a simple hard reset. Are you jailbroken or something? If so, then this thread would be better in one of those subforums.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hasny said:
I have iPad3, 16 GB, WiFi with iOS 5.1.1 version. I am going for a clean reinstall but don't know whether I need to download 4G GSM link or 4G CDMA. Please help

Are you wanting to upgrade to iOS 6? The iOS 6 download is the same, no matter which version of the iPad 3 you have. The two models you mentioned are the two versions of 4g capable iPad 3's available in the US, they have nothing to do with downloading anything to your 16GB WiFi iPad. All you have to do to upgrade is go to Settings>General>Software Update and click on the download button. If your battery isn't fully charged, it's a good idea to plug your iPad into the charger before starting.
If, on the other hand, you want to re-instal iOS 5.1.1, try this thread. If you don't meet all the requirements it won't work, though.
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html

Last edited:
OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes fellows pardon me for being on the wrong thread. Yes I am after reinstalling iOS 5.1.1 and meet all the requirements, the only thing I worried about is that I should download the right link. Against ipad3, these two types are mentioned and I was finding it hard to guess which one belongs to me, that's all. I have already started downloading 4G GMS, it's a 1 GB file but still not 100% sure that it's the one that belongs to me.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hasny said:
Yes fellows pardon me for being on the wrong thread. Yes I am after reinstalling iOS 5.1.1 and meet all the requirements, the only thing I worried about is that I should download the right link. Against ipad3, these two types are mentioned and I was finding it hard to guess which one belongs to me, that's all. I have already started downloading 4G GMS, it's a 1 GB file but still not 100% sure that it's the one that belongs to me.

All you have to do is exactly follow the instructions in the link I added in my previous post.

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably you are not getting my point, I am already following the same guide that you have attached. I am stuck at what I have indicated above. See if you can help. Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hasny said:
Probably you are not getting my point, I am already following the same guide that you have attached. I am stuck at what I have indicated above. See if you can help. Thanks

You have a WiFi only iPad 3, so you need to use the iPad 3 firmware for iOS 5.1.1. The one you're downloading is the wrong one, meant for an iPad 3 with 4G on a GSM network.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have WiFi /4G (micro sim) iPad 3 with iOS 5.1.1. Pls tell am I going the right way

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hasny said:
I have WiFi /4G (micro sim) iPad 3 with iOS 5.1.1. Pls tell am I going the right way dde33

Sorry, your first post stated that you had a WiFi iPad, with no mention of 4G. Based on this, you are downloading the correct firmware. As far as I know, the CDMA iPads are not sold outside the US. Once your download is finished, follow the rest of the instructions in the link and let us know how you get on.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your question was already asked and answered here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=96517

Please refrain from creating duplicate threads on the same issue. Not only does it fragment the conversation and make it difficult to follow, it's against our rules.

As your issue was already being worked on the other thread, this one is closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts