What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know why the wifi versions hold their value more at resale?

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I I've just completed a bit of research and have found that the 16 wifi only version of the iPad retain their value more. The more storage you have and 3G facility the less its worth at worth at resale. Does anyone know why?

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not true, there is no reason why the specific model would hold its value at resale more than the others.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's like saying one dollar is worth more than two.Hehe

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I've checked quite a few of the companies that buy iPads to resell in e uk and it certainly appears true. I always buy the 64g 3G and lost more than half the price at resale.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
Well I've checked quite a few of the companies that buy iPads to resell in e uk and it certainly appears true. I always buy the 64g 3G and lost more than half the price at resale.

Maybe the wifi model is in higher demand?

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gadgetpanda, CEX computer exchange muzuma are a few companies I've checked.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The wifi version would appeal to a broader audience. The 3G Is limited by the provider it is programmed for (AT&T, Verizon).

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like bennettb says.No limitations regarding service providers.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But then again why dont you just buy a 3g model for cheaper and only use the wifi?

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bennettb said:
The wifi version would appeal to a broader audience. The 3G Is limited by the provider it is programmed for (AT&T, Verizon).
Silly me

Vishal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
I I've just completed a bit of research and have found that the 16 wifi only version of the iPad retain their value more. The more storage you have and 3G facility the less its worth at worth at resale. Does anyone know why?

It is true. And it is because apple charge more than 100$ for more space and it is not worth in actual. When you resale 16 gb ipad, buyers will keep in the mind $499 mark, but when you sell 32 gb , they won't give you $100 more for just more space.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good theory. I wonder why?

It's very simple if you think of yourself as being in the market for a used iPad.

Because you want more value for your money and you don't have money to throw away, you will go for the cheapest model available. So that is where the market is. If everyone wants that there is less room to negotiate. Where as if you start adding hundreds of dollars to the cost because of memory and 3G, there is a lot of negotiating room.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good theory. I wonder why?

Because many people don't want to pay for 3G data plans, and some tether and others use wifi or my-fi.

Me, I buy whatever I want to use. Resale value is not something I consider, because I either keep what I have or give it away.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Because many people don't want to pay for 3G data plans, and some tether and others use wifi or my-fi.

Me, I buy whatever I want to use. Resale value is not something I consider, because I either keep what I have or give it away.

Give to me! Me! me!

Most reactions