What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Anybody Regret....

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buying an iPad?

If so, why?

If you don't have any regrets now, do u feel like u might in the near future, perhaps if u see another tablet w/ much better specs at a lower price and it might get u thinking u should have waited a lil longer before investing in a tablet..?

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't say that I regret buying it, but I was surprised by some of the limitations. I was expecting at least the basic computer functions like being able to easily transfer, view, store, and edit most types of files. You can do some of that using third party apps but it is clunky at best.

I also have a problem with Apple's philosophy of "we know what you need better than you do".

If you are looking for a pad computer this is not it. It's basically an iPod touch with a big screen.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets, I do wish we had more choice in function but i bought it to entertain me I have a laptop for computer things.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't regret buying it at all. Like others have said there a few limitations but jail breaking it has allowed me to solve those issues. I am a fan of android phones but I don't see myself going towards an android tablet. It would have many of the same limitations as the ipad but it seems to me it would lack tablet specific apps. I just don't see a lot of publishers putting high quality apps out for the many different spec'd tablets.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets, because the instant a fully functional Android tablet comes around, this thing is sold for basically what I bought it for, since Apple people seem to suspend logic when purchasing used Apple products off Craigslist.

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets here. I researched my options like mad before I bought this, and I knew all of its limitations, so I wad prepared to work around them.

DroidUser84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets, because the instant a fully functional Android tablet comes around, this thing is sold for basically what I bought it for, since Apple people seem to suspend logic when purchasing used Apple products off Craigslist.

+1 feel the same way.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me say this plain and clear....

Living with regrets is STUPID.

Of course something newer and better is coming soon. But if I waited for it, I wouldn't be enjoying the iPad now would I? Then once that product was getting ready to be released, a better one would be on the way, so I guess I should wait for that right? Why buy a PS3 when a PS4 is probably coming soon. Why by that 2011 model year car when the 2012 is going to have an extra 5hp and better fuel economy.

I'll enjoy my things right now, and upgrade later with zero regrets. I feel sorry for people who are always waiting for the next best thing.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets! As others have said, I knew what it was BEFORE I bought it and I bought it for what it could do, not with it might be able to do or what I wanted it to do!

If you are looking for a pad computer this is not it. It's basically an iPod touch with a big screen.

I have said this (many times) before, but I think the biggest problem with the iPad is... that it is sold by Apple! And what is Apples "claim to fame"? Computers or course! For some reason, some people assume that an iPad is some sort of re-packaged laptop or netbook with a touchscreen. Apple never claimed that it was a new type of laptop or that it has the functionality of a full-fledged computer.

This is why some people have regrets. Not because the iPad does not perform as promised, but because it does not perform as some people expected it would!

Loccy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buying an iPad?

If so, why?

If you don't have any regrets now, do u feel like u might in the near future, perhaps if u see another tablet w/ much better specs at a lower price and it might get u thinking u should have waited a lil longer before investing in a tablet..?

Regrets is possibly too strong a word. I do like the iPad and it will certainly serve its purpose for which it was purchased (an ebook reader and intertubes access device that I can easily take with me when travelling).

But having bought the current iPad because I got fed up with waiting for the perfect (for me) device, perfect being a 7" Android tablet that wasn't a complete load of pish from a hardware persepctive, I slightly regret not waiting a little longer. The Samsung 7" tablet looks like the device I was waiting for and the rumours about 7" iPads are also a little irksome. That said, I was surprised at how nice the iBooks experience was (ebook reading being probably 60% of what I do with the device). I thought the Ipad would be too big for ebook reading, and wanted something the size of my Sony Touch reader with intertube capability. However, the two-page landscape mode on iBooks is by far a better, more natural reading experience that I'd probably miss if I went to a physically smaller device.

The lack of Flash is a little irritating in that it limits the video capabilities of the device. I don't buy the anti-Flash rhetoric of Apple's; while I agree that Flash is not a well-written piece of software (I disable it on my desktop computers, only enabling it when I need to play a video) the reality is that it is the de-facto standard for streamed video over the web. A media consumption device that doesn't support it is inherently limited, and all the HTML5 snobbery in the world doesn't help me as an end user play the content I want to play. The Apple stance is more about Jobs being a control freak and less about maximising the user experience. But I digress, and the Flash thing is probably only a 5% irritant for me.

So, do I regret buying the iPad? No, the device does what I bought it for even if it wasn't designed exactly to my requirements. Will I sell it on in a couple of months and replace it with a different device? Possibly, edging towards probably.

Most reactions