What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no Verizon iPhone is a good thing

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An interesting article in PC Magazine. The contention is that with the iPhone and a mediocre system, AT&T had to build up their tower and backbone system. Without the iPhone, Verizon and the others had to push the manufacturers to develop a decent competitor to the iPhone. Apple has been continuing to push the iPhone to maintain it's advantage. Even if by some miracle, Apple could produce the total demand for smart phones, there would always be desire for other models.

In addition, knowing that the only advantage they have is with better coverage, Verizon has to invest heavy in improving their own towers and circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care why some magazine thinks I don't need an iPhone....all I care about is I can't have one because of bad business BS!!

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The data requirements have taken everyone by surprise. And many areas cannot be upgraded without months to years of hearings. While I have no love for what is now AT&T, my experience with Verizon leaves much to be desired. When I was on Altel, I was a happy camper. Now that Verizon took over, the number of dropped calls and feedback issues have gone up tremenously. It is very irritating to try and hold a conversation when your own voice is being retransmitted back to you with a 1 second lag.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My droid works fine on vzw, blackberries are great...there is no argument, verizon has a solid data network.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My droid works fine on vzw, blackberries are great...there is no argument, verizon has a solid data network.

I agree with you 100%. My wife recently switched to vzw (and Droid) from AT&T and after a week she told me "It sure is great to actually use my smart phone as a phone these days". The data plan has been solid for her as well.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree with you 100%. My wife recently switched to vzw (and Droid) from AT&T and after a week she told me "It sure is great to actually use my smart phone as a phone these days". The data plan has been solid for her as well.

Which is why I've never had an iPhone.....AT&T absolutely sucks....they were the worst company I ever dealt with, service was HORRIBLE, I had to go outside to make and receive calls...I had to leave my phone on the window sill for it to ring. And on the many occasions I had to deal with customer service they were abysmally rude and useless.

I have been with Verizon for 7 years now.....the service is perfect, I have never dropped a call and only lost my signal while up in Sequoia forest or other remote place that has no towers. Data is ALWAYS 3G and fast, and on the rare occasion I have called customer service they are always polite and actually resolve my issue instead of telling me I'm wrong and making me hang up on them in frustration.

So PLEASE Apple, bring iPhone to a real company!!

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried using an iPhone 4 as my primary device last night and was suprised (I guess I shouldn't have been suprised) that basically 80% of my calls were dropped. I had to change back this morning to a Verizon Blackberry as my primary device. The other issue that Apple needs to address is that of making the path smoother for large organizations to implement IOS devices. They have a very cumbersome method of deploying device policies via iPhone Configuration Utility. The ota deployment method apparently is not well documented. The iPad is a very "cool" device, as is the iPhone, but in my opinion it is unfortuantely no where near where it needs to be as an enterprise device. the iPad/iPhone is a nicer device than the Blackberry, but doesn't have many of the features that business requires for mass deployments.

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
A phone is only as good as its network. Fortunately the 3G GSM networks here in Canada are, by and large, terrific. We can choose a network based on our needs and the iPhone will work on it. If it doesn't, you can change to a competing network and still have an iPhone if you want. (That's one reason why Apple sells unlocked iPhones here.)

My personal experience with AT&T has been mixed, so I understand your concerns, but this is absolutely an issue with the network, not the phone. In the rest of the world, where 3G GSM networks are ubiquitous in almost every country, the iPhone is a very solid phone worthy of serious consideration.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hence why I use tmobile.. Data is fine on that via edge but I'm sure a data hungry ipad would hate the edge network.

Sure it may cost more or I'll have to settle for a used phone but the return is using a phone daily and great service and price plan with tmobile.

Like I've told folks in the past, there are three main things in life you need to be happy: a nice home, nice vehicle, great job. You spend most your life in these places. From that it rolls over to other items you use daily such as phone, tv, and hobby items.

Could you picture having a regular home phone, a crappy 15yr old beat up car and working at walmart living paycheck to paycheck?

We own ipads, a nice luxury item so I'm sure we all have a decent lifestyle. Now how this ties into the iPhone.. Again I use tmobile. Either I pay $99 for a new iPhone with crappy service for two years or pay $250 for a used iPhone and have a cheaper plan with a great service providing company. It's the price you pay to own and have nice items to enjoy

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, the idea that I would scrap my AT&T service on my iPad for Verizon is a bad joke. I have lots of issues with my Verizon cell service, and decent service with my iPad on AT&T. And to go to Verizon web service would cost me over twice as much, with limited service. If I lived somewher else, I might have a different perspective, but that is the big issue with deciding on carriers.

ProPhotoGA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though I have a 3G iPad I use my Verizon MiFi device. Size of a credit
card and I can connect up to 5 devices. It connects and speeds are
excellent even at 6500' while flying. I have never had a problem. I use a
Droid for my smart phone but then I am on Verizon. Would I like an iPhone..
not so sure now that I have been using my Droid. But I would like the option.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They do? So you can just go in and purchase an iPhone and its already JB? Why would they do that? Ipads too?

Unlocked is slightly different to being jail broken; but anyhow....

Rather ironically, the US, the home of freedom, capitalism and consumerism is one of the few countries on the planet where the consumer gets utterly shafted due to apples insistence on tying in with only one network provider.

I could walk into any Apple Store in the UK and buy an iPhone - unlocked, and put any carriers SIM into it I want - and in the vast majority of cases that is a far cheaper option for most users than having a contract which 'subsidises' the handset.

As a point - All ipads are unlocked, but for whatever reason US consumers have very little choice of supporting carriers. But in the UK I can pick and choose (and change at will) between anyone of 4 different networks.

With regards to the article referred to in the original post though; it's a load of rubbish. Reason? The article is entirely US-centric. If the US was the only country in the world with mobile phones it might have a point, but it's not. No handset maker produces a handset range, as far as I know, *just* to sell in the US - competition will always be there simply because some people just want something different to an iPhone - for whatever reason.

The only two things Apples continual relationship with AT&T does is hurt the American consumer, and Apples sales figures. Any suggestion that this benefits the consumer is nonsense.

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrong on several accounts. First, Apple tried to sell the iPhone to all the major carriers. Their attitude was that Apple had to do everything their way. Only AT&T would agree to Apple's terms, but with the provision that it was exclusive. Even if you buy an unlocked iPhone, it would not be practical because Verizon uses a totally different system. And some companies use the same system, but different frequencies. If Verizon wanted the iPhone, they would be able to get it. They just do not want to let Apple dictate the terms. It could be compared to a car maker with a car they cannot build fast enough, being told that Avis wants a whole bunch of that car. Only it has to be at below what every one else is paying, and they want a different engine in it.

Most reactions