What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has Backlight bleeding?

Do you have an issue with backlight bleeding on your iPad 2 and how severe is it?

• Yes, very noticeable. Time for an exchange.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • A little but nothing major. It's a keeper.

Votes: 53 39.0%
  • No signs of any at all.

Votes: 54 39.7%

• Total voters

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad they are trying to resolve the issue and replace units. Hate to see this turn out like the iPhone 4 antenna issue.
I guess I'll wait before I get the iPad 2.

Why wait? I bought my iPad 2 on the first day in the first hour it launched. My screen is perfect.

If you buy at the Apple Store they unbox the iPad and set it up for you. Simply check as many as necessary to find a perfect screen before accepting it. Take a picture with your hand over the lens (black image) and check out the display, the ipads are fully charged out of the box.

This device is too incredible to not have in your hands now. :)

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Why wait? I bought my iPad 2 on the first day in the first hour it launched. My screen is perfect.

If you buy at the Apple Store they unbox the iPad and set it up for you. Simply check as many as necessary to find a perfect screen before accepting it. Take a picture with your hand over the lens (black image) and check out the display, the ipads are fully charged out of the box.

No apple store here and Best buy and target are out : (.
It takes a while for them to get a supply in, if I got one with bleeding issues, who knows how long I would have to wait to replace it.

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

No apple store here and Best buy and target are out : (.
It takes a while for them to get a supply in, if I got one with bleeding issues, who knows how long I would have to wait to replace it.

make sure you don't wait too long as then it'll need fixed, and if it needs to be fixed by apple, you'll probably be out of it for a long long while...

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cadena96 said:
make sure you don't wait too long as then it'll need fixed, and if it needs to be fixed by apple, you'll probably be out of it for a long long while...

Apple won't fix... They will simply replace it. If there are manufacturing defects they will replace it anytime in your first year or second w/ AppleCare. Personally I found that when I lowered the brightness to a more reasonable level... The backlight bleeding is hardly noticeable.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cadena96 said:

Apple won't fix... They will simply replace it. If there are manufacturing defects they will replace it anytime in your first year or second w/ AppleCare. Personally I found that when I lowered the brightness to a more reasonable level... The backlight bleeding is hardly noticeable.

Yep. Apple doesn't send things off for repair. They give you a replacement (will be refurbs rather than new unboxed units down the road probably--but those are good as new so who cares). They'll send the broken one you gave them off to be refurbed after giving you a new one.

Trav29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The genius told me that he can get a replacement for me, but it's very like that the next one will have a light bleed also and it could be worse than the one I have now. And I can only get a replacement once. And that most devices have a light leak. Haven't heard of the Xoom having these light leak issues maybe I will just return the next one if its worse and go get the Xoom.

II HandyMan II

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After hearing about iPad 2 bleeding issues, I decided to investigate if my iPad 1 had any problems. After putting brightness to full I notice considerable backlight bleeding. I received the iPad as a gift for Christmas. Will apple just replace instore? I have the invoice.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
II HandyMan II said:
After hearing about iPad 2 bleeding issues, I decided to investigate if my iPad 1 had any problems. After putting brightness to full I notice considerable backlight bleeding. I received the iPad as a gift for Christmas. Will apple just replace instore? I have the invoice.

Yes... Apple will replace it in the store however, they will replace it with the iPad that was purchased not the new one.

Seraph011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any long term effects of the bleed/ i have minimal bleed on my present pad...im not sure if its worth the risk to exchange it and get an even worse one...

bigstar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have very minimal bleeding with 100% brightness and screen black, no dead pixels and everything is working fine. I will keep mine at this time. Very happy ipad2 owner.

funforums5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a little problem around the left side (sitting up) but it doesn't really bother me. No dead pixels though. Got mine the 22nd...

KneeDragr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I havent opened mine yet ( too busy, actually at work now ), going to this weekend, but this is my biggest fear. Hopefully if I get a bad one Apple will make it right. If its minor I will keep it.

Marfir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should get a replacement

I can see light bleeding on both sides of my screen. It's not to the point where it's totally annoying, but who knows if it could get worse in the future, so I'd definitely like to get it replaced at some point. I spent almost $1200 before leaving the store with the most expensive unit and all the accessories, so as far as I'm concerned it should be flawless. Hopefully they figure it out and make good on it.

Most reactions

Latest posts