What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 tiny dead pixel - would you just leave it? Cause i have no backlight bleed!

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New ipad i just picked up has 1 super tiny dead pixel on the right half about 2/3 up the screen. Only noticeable on really bright screens but its so small you have to look for it to notice. The place i got it at is already sold out and dont know if i should bother and risking getting one with backlight bleed cause this one now has a perfectly uniform backlight, no bleed or yellowish at all! Backlight bleed is just about on any ipad 2 especially the first runs so its rare to get one without any bleed at all.

If I left it, can it get worse and spread?

I know on some pixels you can try to run a series of screens to try to work the pixel is hoping its just a lazy pixel and not dead. How would you do this? I know some try rubbing the spot but it didnt work on mine.

PIc of the dead pixel. Camera cant even pick it up but its there.

img4036r.jpg

Last edited:

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd get it exchanged.... over time, no matter how small, the dead pixel burn into my soul everytime I looked at my iPad!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I def got some bleeding. Going on but mine is engraved so I will have to send er back. I'm gonna wait until everything cools down. I'll probably send it off for my birthday, when I'm occupied and wont miss her too bad. I wish there was an antibiotic for her. :(

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd get it exchanged.... over time, no matter how small, the dead pixel burn into my soul everytime I looked at my iPad!

this dead pixel is not very noticable unless you look up close (its so small i cant even tell what colour it is) but if i left it will it get worse?

And like i said i have no bleed at all, no yellow tint, no glue issues, which is rare. Chances are i change it, i will have horrible bleeding on the new one.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
added pic.

Was told dead pixels can spread or turn black? is that true? i cant even tell if mine is stuck or dead. Hoping its only stuck, how can i tell?

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would be getting it returned pronto! :)

theyre all sold out already. blah :mad: i just want to know if i left it, if it will get worse? cause the pixel isnt very noticable afterall.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
added pic.

Was told dead pixels can spread or turn black? is that true? i cant even tell if mine is stuck or dead. Hoping its only stuck, how can i tell?

If it's black, it's dead. See the Wikipedia article "Defective Pixel" for additional details. I have heard that pressing lightly on the area of a stuck pixel can revive it, sometimes they fix themselves. Of course, pushing around here and there might cause another one to get stuck or go dead. I understand the bleeding issue and your concerns; but, I personally would probably return it if possible, in spite of the risk of getting another device with the bleeding issue.

Kirst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes playing fullscreen video can revive them apparently but I dunno how much truth is in that.

Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
theyre all sold out already. blah :mad: i just want to know if i left it, if it will get worse? cause the pixel isnt very noticable afterall.

AppleStores have two independent stocks of iPads, on for iPads, which are to be sold and another one for replacements. Those two stocks are independent, so even if all iPads are sold out, does this mean nothing about whether they have replacement units available.

The other thing is, when you go to the AppleStore and ask them to rep,ace, just tell them that your screen has a dead pixel. They will let you look at the new iPad, before you decide. So if the replacement unit has a worse screen, just don't take it.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
added pic.

If it's black, it's dead. See the Wikipedia article "Defective Pixel" for additional details. I have heard that pressing lightly on the area of a stuck pixel can revive it, sometimes they fix themselves. Of course, pushing around here and there might cause another one to get stuck or go dead. I understand the bleeding issue and your concerns; but, I personally would probably return it if possible, in spite of the risk of getting another device with the bleeding issue.

Its so small i cant even tell what colour it is. It only shows up on coloured screens but not black. Im guessing its grey, its not dark enough to be black. Its just way too small for me to tell, this has to be the smallest pixel ive ever seen in my life. Trust me, i dont think 90% of casual users would even notice, thats how small it is. Im gonna try using a magnify glass.

Tapmyapple said:

AppleStores have two independent stocks of iPads, on for iPads, which are to be sold and another one for replacements. Those two stocks are independent, so even if all iPads are sold out, does this mean nothing about whether they have replacement units available.

The other thing is, when you go to the AppleStore and ask them to rep,ace, just tell them that your screen has a dead pixel. They will let you look at the new iPad, before you decide. So if the replacement unit has a worse screen, just don't take it.

Unfortunately, i bought it from future shop not an apple store. Theyre all sold out. Every place is sold out. My future shop i bought it from today had over 40 in stock at lunch but already all gone. If I call apple out, will they be able to send me a new one first before me sending this one out? I dont wanna have to be without my ipad already.

Last edited:

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And like i said i have no bleed at all, no yellow tint, no glue issues, which is rare. Chances are i change it, i will have horrible bleeding on the new one.

Just because a few users here had problems does not mean "it's rare" to get one that is problem free.

I have none of those issues with mine (and I'm real picky, I would definitely return it if I did)

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But like i said no stock, if future shop gets more within the 14 days ill change it otherwise ill have to call apple to see if theyre willing to send me a new one first.

Most reactions