What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has Backlight bleeding?

Do you have an issue with backlight bleeding on your iPad 2 and how severe is it?

• Yes, very noticeable. Time for an exchange.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • A little but nothing major. It's a keeper.

Votes: 53 39.0%
  • No signs of any at all.

Votes: 54 39.7%

• Total voters

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All seem to at the least show bleeding in a dark room on a black screen.
I guess it's at least somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the lone ranger with this, but I wonder if it's an issue that can be used to get a replacement?

Yes. Apple will exchange them for that. But every post I've seen on Macrumors from people who have exchanged have all gotten units that still had some bleeding--some where better than the ones they had, some were worse.

So I'd wait it out a bit and see if they do something to really fix the problem since it seems like most every unit has some level of bleeding noticeable on dark screens in dark rooms.

Also, some have suggested that it could be a glue issue and when the glue totally dries it will block the light more fully. Not sure I buy that, but I guess its another reason to wait since you're not likely to exchange and get a perfect unit right now anyway.

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please forgive me for sounding stupid, but I am trying to make sure I understand what the bleeding is. If I have mine starting up, and there are some areas of the black that are lighter around the edges, is that what you mean?

poopsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had some bleeding from the unit I purchased at Target on launch day. Being in North Dakota, there is not an Apple Store within 150 miles of us. I called today and spoke to a guy at Apple and they are sending out another unit next day (Tracking says Monday). If I didn't have Apple Care I would have had to send it in before they would send out another.

He also asked me what my favorite color was. I thought it was weird but said Blue or Black, he said "Well since Black is more expensive I'll give you that one". I was wondering what he was talking about and he said for my trouble he was sending me the black leather smart cover free! You pay more for Apple, but they treat you right :)

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please forgive me for sounding stupid, but I am trying to make sure I understand what the bleeding is. If I have mine starting up, and there are some areas of the black that are lighter around the edges, is that what you mean?
Yes. If you look at a black screen, you can see some white coming in from around the side or edges.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had some bleeding from the unit I purchased at Target on launch day. Being in North Dakota, there is not an Apple Store within 150 miles of us. I called today and spoke to a guy at Apple and they are sending out another unit next day (Tracking says Monday). If I didn't have Apple Care I would have had to send it in before they would send out another.
I got mine at Best Buy on launch day as well. Can you purchase Apple Care after buying an iPad - like within a couple weeks or so?

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rambler358 said:
Yes. If you look at a black screen, you can see some white coming in from around the side or edges.

Bummer, it would appear I do have that issue. Of course if I hadn't read about it here I might not have noticed it LOL. Now to decide if it's an issue for me or not.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried everything suggested and can't get it to bleed at all. I wonder if there was a bad batch or something.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

poopsie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine at Best Buy on launch day as well. Can you purchase Apple Care after buying an iPad - like within a couple weeks or so?

Yeah I think you can buy it within the first year?

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yeah I think you can buy it within the first year?
Okay, I just checked Apple's site. You can purchase AppleCare anytime during the original 1 year warranty. It was $79 for the iPad.

CPSOX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this isn't really acceptable, mine is still on order through apple.com, I wanted it engraved...anyway, when you realize apple is a 80 billion dollar a year company...you'd think they'd do better....and yeah, they made 79.1 billion last year.....

They didn't make anywhere close to 79.1 billion last year.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the biggest complaint is something you can only see when you have absolutely nothing in the screen while it's on, I think apple did a great job!

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the biggest complaint is something you can only see when you have absolutely nothing in the screen while it's on, I think apple did a great job!

True. But on some units you can see it in the black bars while watching a letter boxed video in Netflix etc.

So it is a bigger problem on some units. Its a bit noticeable on videos like that on mine if I'm in a dim room. But not too bad and I don't watch much videos on it anyway.

All that said, while I don't care about the black screen/dark room issue, having light bleed at all is a design flaw or manufacturing flaw. It's not something all LCD/LED screens have. It just shows the border between the screen and the lights behind it aren't sealed properly.

Still a non-issue on most units since it's generally not noticeable. But not something I'd expect from Apple given their emphasis on design and the price of their units (though Tablets are the one market where they are priced competitively with the competition).

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may if it doesn't clear up--but it's BARELY noticeable when watching video--and only if I'm in a room with all the lights off. And I don't watch videos in that condition as the screen hurts my eyes. If I have a lamp on in the room I can't notice any bleeding.

In any case, I'm in no rush to bother with it now when stock is limited and the Apple stores are still mad houses. And also many have reported exchanging only to get one with worse light bleeding. So since mine is so minor I don't want to take a chance on it unless there are reports that the problem has been truly fixed and there are newer units with no bleeding out.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad they are trying to resolve the issue and replace units. Hate to see this turn out like the iPhone 4 antenna issue.
I guess I'll wait before I get the iPad 2.

Most reactions