What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad1 compatible iOS is till being signed besides 4.3.5?

zeroweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked everywhere on google but can't find an answer. Does anyone know of any older iOS that is still being signed by apple and that works on the iPad1? (other than 4.3.5)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jailbreak 4.3.5, nothing is wrong with it.

i had a tethered jailbreak before, i managed.

the iPad have a good battery life, makes it easier.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have to agree with poser, a tethered jailbreak on iPad is no big deal (unlike the iPhone which is more challenging). You hardly ever need to reboot an iPad and there is no excuse for running out of juice and being caught without a charger when out and about on your daily travels due to the size of your iPad's battery.
I lived with a tethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 for over 2 months and never had a single problem.

Once you have installed the first few significant jailbreak tweaks which cause your iPad to reboot (like mobile substrate, MyWi, etc.) then there is very little in Cydia which will ask you to reboot your iPad once it has been installed, so a tethered boot is usually only a hassle for the first few hours of working with a tethered jailbreak.

Hope that helps.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
zeroweaver

zeroweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the chances there will ever be an untethered jailbreak for the iPad1 A4 in the future? 4.3.5 untethered ever? Also will iCloud force me to upgrade with every new iOS version?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No one really knows for sure what is going on with jailbreaking right now. I believe iOS 4.3.5 was jailbroken, tethered, for the iPad1 to hold those owners over until iOS 5 came out. As of now, iOS 5 (the betas) are jailbreakable ... but tethered. I have hopes that, once the official version comes out, we iPad1 owners will see an untethered iOS 5 jailbreak (and I know that iPad2 owners hope the same!).

So far, that we know, any over-the-air updates still have to be accepted by the user. So, you don't have to upgrade. I figure it'll be the same as with iTunes, where you can ignore (maybe permanently) any upgrades Apple wants to push on you.

IOW - we really have to wait and see what the future brings. It'll be different, that's for sure. Hopefully, a GOOD different though...

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the chances there will ever be an untethered jailbreak for the iPad1 A4 in the future? 4.3.5 untethered ever?

Some folks like to say never, but as others say, you should never say never... :)

Apple patched the exploit used by ion1c to untether the 4.x jailbreaks in 4.3.4 and it is a lot of hard work and effort to discover a way to untether a jailbreak.
With IOS 5.0 just around the corner the question is why would a talented jailbreak developer waste any of their time searching for, and assuming they find one, then exploit a bug to make an untether for 4.3.4 and 4.3.5, which are already more of less obsolete?
Doing this stuff is not trivial. It takes many weeks / months of hard slog. That is why most folks say it will never happen. Nobody who has the skill to develop it is motivated to do it. They are spending their time finding exploits for IOS5 (and as we know from recent news they have 5 userland exploits already in their bag)!

If you want to be a little more optimistic, one of the userland bugs discovered for IOS5 may actually one day allow the 4.x versions to be untethered too. But there is no way that will be released until a 5.x jailbreak is well and truly out. Then and only then you might see an untether for them, but that is a really long shot and by the time it comes out you will probably rather want to be on the 5.x jailbreak it is associated with...

Also will iCloud force me to upgrade with every new iOS version?

There is a fairly good chance IMHO that once you are committed to iCloud you will have to keep up with the major IOS5 updates to some degree, but it is highly unlikely Apple will force you to take every singe minor IOS point upgrade in order to keep using the service. That just is not practical. You can't stop folks from using their device just because they are not in a position (for whatever reason) to do a minor point update, whether it's OTA or via iTunes. It would also be a logistical nightmare for both them and us to manage, particularly in a corporate environment.
It is more likely to be a little more flexible and tied to major point releases. e.g. 5.x. for certain features so that their millions of users are not disadvantaged.

glittergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't keep up with JB news as much lately but my guess was what others have mentioned-it's not worth the time and using another exploit with iOS5 so near.

On the bright side a tethered JB seems workable on the iPad because of the long battery life. And if you've got enough experience with previous updates to know which things in Cydia are going to require a reboot upon install, you can work with that. On my iPhone, as such a heavy user with so much important data on it, as my only phone, and with the rate I burn through battery, as much as I love JB I wouldn't even consider it for a second. Recipe for disasters. But like JB in general I think so much of it is individual-how much/often you use it, what the most important JB mods are to you, your chance of being near a computer you can use to boot it (I don't have admin rights at work and thus would never have RedSnow handy there) etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts